Squeezebox Touch

jinp6301

Ric, I'm interested in you expectations / expected use case.

It sounds like you want to use a non native file system containing non native music files, that are volatile, and frequently updated via an additional samba process over an admittedly marginal wireless link on a resource constrained embedded linux installation :)

Have you tried ssh'ing into the box to see how many additional process and resources this approach takes :)

Have you tried un-mounting the device , mounting it on another system, and just deleting the ".Squeezebox" folder, as this is where the database / persistent caches are written, then re-inserting / rescanning.

What benefits do you expect from "sharing" a storage device vs dedicating one - vs your time ?

Just interested.

Currently Chillin' to some Caf

Didn't make it home at decent hour last couple nights. Still having problems unfortunately tonight. :( Likely, it's due to the double USB drive mystery. Can switch library to served by laptop. Shut down server on USB. Eject both USBs. Move drive to Mac and terminal in and "sudo rm -rf .squeezebox". Verify it's gone. Move back to Squeezebox and let it do its thing. Start server and switch library back. Still only single (ghost?) USB drive and last played album only found. If I reset the SBTouch I get the two mysterious USB drives and my music. Oh well. Maybe I'll settle on the full server.

Yeah, I have three other USB or USB/Firewire externals, but the trouble is the others miss some other requirement - AC powered, power down can be disabled or I can allocate a sizable partition to FAT32 (due to other needs). Doesn't mean I can't come up with a system to test the SBTouchs functionality, just not daily use without picking up some additional gear (AC adapter for USB powered, another drive, etc.). We'll see if I get around to that in the future. Pretty swamped next two weeks, but maybe I'll run some tests after that.

I appreciate your and Grahames past help.

BTW, I used the LaCie Grand 2TB in case anyone wants to know model. Wonder if there's a chance it's two 1TB drives masked as 2TB and that is why SBTouch is freaking out? Google turns up nothing.

Edited by blessingx

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the USB plug on the back of the SB Touch can be used as a USB audio out, though it may require some configuration file changes to enable it. Unfortunately, it'll only work for USB DAC's that use generic USB drivers so DAC's with custom drivers are out. Anyone else play around with the USB audio out?

• 3 weeks later...
You wait ages for a decent review, and then ...

Touch review in Octobers TAS! - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

readable if you are a member ...

Golden Ear Club | AVguide

I'm not surprised. It's a cool product, lots of features, and you can integrate it just about any way you want.

How do I become a Golden Ear?

You pay a modest yearly membership fee and agree to abide by Club rules. The annual membership fee is $49.95.

Is it worth it?

I don't remember paying no $49.95, and I have access. I think. Don't use it all that much. (Obviously.)

...er, nope, they don't respond when I click "forgot mah password". :palm:

EDIT #2: I have access, but not to the Golden Ears Club stuff, of which this is one. So you get a lot for free, you just get a little bit more for the $49.95, and -- I suspect -- sooner. I suspect the review will be made available for free in 9 months or so when it's obsolete, or something...

Edited by Dusty Chalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to rescan your library using the Touch device? I've searched high and low through the settings, but I can only find "wipe and rescan" which takes quite a bit longer than the regular scanning that you could do on the Squeezebox 3. I know there is an option to rescan server side through software, but it requires me VNC'ing into my server.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...