Tool Recommendations Thread

The Monkey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I have a complaint with smaller precision Wiha screwdrivers. Namely, if you really torque them hard, they come loose without fail. I've had this happen to probably 8 or 9 of them... :mad:

Wow. I have a bunch of the old-style little ones with molded on handles and some of the bigger, onion-shaped ones with the hex shafts. The onion-shaped handles let you put a LOT of torque on. I haven't had one fail yet. Maybe you got some from a bad batch.

• 5 weeks later...
I was actually going to recommend a couple songs from 10,000 Days as great for cardio, but I see now that I have it all wrong again. :(

Recommendations anyway: Right In Two, and The Pot. You'll like them for running fast, Monkey Man.

I with you on that one, the whole album is great.

As far as hand tools I use this and it's great:

Husky 26pc SAE & METRIC Ball-Head Hex Key Set w/ Torque Handle - 32207 at The Home Depot

• 4 months later...

Anyone here have a reasonably price heat gun they are happy with? Mine just died tonight, all of a sudden heard a grinding and a bit of a smell from it. Not upset, this thing has served me fairly well for a good several years now, but it is time to move on. Current one was made by Grizzly, had variable temperature which was nice, and two speed settings, the lower one of which is all I ever used. It did have a bit of a tendency to melt the plastic surrounding the nozzle, which was a pain. A few times it would get all the way to the point of sticking to the nozzle, and then would start smelling bad.

Grizzly HO800

Edited by cetoole

I use the $10 harbor freight one, that looks very similar to the one Nate posted. It works okay.

x2, though mine is more like this one, but orange:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Wouldn't mind having one of those U-shaped deflectors for it, but it works fine.. a hell of a lot better than the hair drier I would grab before :palm:

Speaking of good tools, I'm thinking about ordering one of these - Tenma Tenma Solder Fume Extractor With Carbon Filter 110VAC Soldering Equipment & Solder at Markertek.com - anyone ever use something like it?

They're next to useless unless you can cram it right behind whatever you're soldering, which means it won't work well at all if you're doing point to point work or soldering within a chassis. It's ok if you're working on a PCB and can put the thing right up against the board.

Back when I worked in the electronics assembly industry we'd use something like this unit where there's a flexible vacuum hose that can be positioned directly over the work being soldered. The vacuum & filter unit goes under the workbench and the hose gets moved around to wherever it's needed, so even if you're working in the middle of a chassis you can put the hose right over it and let it suck away all the fumes. Unfortunately they ain't cheap to say the least.