What are you driving your K1000 with?

swt61

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I remember seeing it in your sig. Sounds pretty nice and lots of power to boot.

i'm currently slumming it with a B1 and F5 (currently being re-chassied) and a pair of Fonkens. the ATCs need moar power and are sitting idly by. i'm digging FR drivers these days.

i'm currently slumming it with a B1 and F5 (currently being re-chassied) and a pair of Fonkens. the ATCs need moar power and are sitting idly by. i'm digging FR drivers these days.

I've been playing with the Jordan full ranger lately and helping it out a bit with a ribbon crossed as a super tweeter

IMG_0605.JPG

How does the F5 sound with the K1000? I have one that's 90% built.

How does the F5 sound with the K1000? I have one that's 90% built.

i've only heard the K1000 at a meet many years ago. i'm planning on adding a 4-pin XLR to the re-chassis for shits and giggles though. unfortunately, i have a hard time justifying any more large hi-fi purchases for awhile with a 6 mo. and 3 yr old, new car, travel, booze, hookers, blah blah blah.

i've only heard the K1000 at a meet many years ago. i'm planning on adding a 4-pin XLR to the re-chassis for shits and giggles though. unfortunately, i have a hard time justifying any more large hi-fi purchases for awhile with a 6 mo. and 3 yr old, new car, travel, booze, hookers, blah blah blah.

perhaps the Pioneer B20FU20 would be right up your alley?

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you owned a K1000.

perhaps the Pioneer B20FU20 would be right up your alley?

i've read about the Pioneer in the past. it seems pretty popular. right now i just want to build a sub to reinforce the uFonken^2 to help get the trousers flapping for Dub, but otherwise the bass and dynamics are pretty amazing for such a small cab. i wired in a sub-out in the B1 so i can get my jangy on in the man-cave. i can remember when i first hooked up the Krell to the FF85K, it was one of those rare "wow" hi-fi experiences. the K1000 was another memorable one. i think a sub would be nice for the K1000 too and the ultimate in headphone geekdom.

I use a sub with my K1000 sometimes, depends on what I'm listening to. The sub is within 1' of my feet, so it integrates pretty well. The K1000 with palpable bass is a nice experience.

instead of pissing all my money before kids on a Naim rig (now sold except speakers), i wish i would have just bought the K1000 and got into DIYing earlier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I haven't made my mind completely up on the K1000... Interesting beast for sure.

Got mine back yesterday, with freshly installed Suck-it-ALO cable (extensively re-worked by Fitz to mate with the K1000). I didn't realise how much I missed it. Regular headphones just can't give me the psuedo speaker soundstage and imaging that the K1000 provides. I doubt I could ever be fully happy with headphones that envelop the ear again. At least not for my main phones.

daberaudiomonitor31077x.jpg

He had to re-work them to lengthen the Y and make the wire casing thin enough for the K1000 wire boots.

Steve, if you get a chance to buy a vintage Marantz from the 70's do so. You will be surprised how good they sound and for so little money plus they can double up with an Stax energizer to drive your Lambda/Sigma cans. To give you an idea I picked up a 77-79 Marantz 2238B which only needed a couple of light bulbs and a thorough cleaning for $40. This unit is good for 38 wpc.

Yesterday I picked up a 73-74 Marantz 2220 which I will be replacing burnt light bulbs, and clean all the pots and switches. This unit is working condition, it is good for 20 wpc and cost me $20.