What are you driving your K1000 with?

swt61

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, if you get a chance to buy a vintage Marantz from the 70's do so. You will be surprised how good they sound and for so little money plus they can double up with an Stax energizer to drive your Lambda/Sigma cans. To give you an idea I picked up a 77-79 Marantz 2238B which only needed a couple of light bulbs and a thorough cleaning for $40. This unit is good for 38 wpc.

Yesterday I picked up a 73-74 Marantz 2220 which I will be replacing burnt light bulbs, and clean all the pots and switches. This unit is working condition, it is good for 20 wpc and cost me $20.

I've actually been keeping an eye out for a nicer old Marantz. I'd like to hear it with my speakers too.

Steve, I am in the process of buying the last two light bulbs I need so the stereo light comes on on the 2220. The one I have is in decent shape but not great and it does sound good with the Clements speakers and driving the HiFiMAN HE-6 via the speaker out. I may decide to sell since I have two, if I do so I will PM you. Price will be what I have into it, $20 plus the replacement lightbulbs and S&H.

See pic below (top one).

Edited by mrarroyo
Added picture.

Pleased to do it Steve! I may even have a better deal, kind of me being a trouble maker. If I decide to get rid of it I would give it to you for free and even ship it to you at my cost ... however ... I would hope I could convince you to build me a replica wooden sleeve like the WC22 that Marantz used to sell, in some kind of redish wood!

BTW, I found the stock bulbs for the "STEREO" light as well as exact replacements for the screws that with age have a bit of surface rust. The funny part is that the bulbs/screws will cost more than the $20 I paid for the entire amp, I do not even want to discuss the S&H. The good news is the unit should not need anything else.

This weekend I went to visit Harold (audiogalore from head-fi) over at his place. I heard his K1000 out of my Balancing Act (PX4 tube configuration). I really liked what I was hearing. I compared it immediately with the HD800 balanced, and though it usually takes me a couple of back/forth to pinpoint the differences, it was so blaringly obvious that there was no contest. The K1000 not only sounded more open (which was expected), but in the particular track we were auditioning, I don't know how to describe it... the sound was much more organic. There was this real guttural je-ne-sais quois to the horns' notes. I never post impressions on gear because I suck, frankly, but I was really impressed with the K1000 this time around (I've listened to it at meets, but be it the ambience or whatever, I was never really wowed by them). It was as if you could hear the notes bouncing off inside the horn and then bursting out, whereas with the HD800, they were just kinda there, with some of the frequencies even slightly melding into the rest of the music.

I must get a K1000.

From what I have read, some people say the BA doesn't match well with the K1000. The only thing I'd have to say is that the volume had to be between the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position to be at a sweet spot, so unless you like blasting your eardrums, I don't consider this a problem as there is still plenty of overhead remaining. In short, I liked what I heard. A lot.

1000x500pxll8a1c234ehea.jpg

I've listened to it at meets, but be it the ambience or whatever, I was never really wowed by them

Heh, I was just saying to Steve the other day how I think they do poorly in a typical meet setting and they would have much greater popularity if that wasn't the case.

The acrylic cover was off during listening sessions. That pic was sent to me this morning because the headfier doesnt want it and seeks to persuade me to buy it for my amp. Yes, I let himborrow it for the next two weeks, as I will be going to Nicaragua and wont be enjoying it anyway, so might as well have someone enjoy it meantime.

(I will get some private time with the K1000 upon my return)

Pleased to do it Steve! I may even have a better deal, kind of me being a trouble maker. If I decide to get rid of it I would give it to you for free and even ship it to you at my cost ... however ... I would hope I could convince you to build me a replica wooden sleeve like the WC22 that Marantz used to sell, in some kind of redish wood!

BTW, I found the stock bulbs for the "STEREO" light as well as exact replacements for the screws that with age have a bit of surface rust. The funny part is that the bulbs/screws will cost more than the $20 I paid for the entire amp, I do not even want to discuss the S&H. The good news is the unit should not need anything else.

Miguel I'd be happy to build you a sleeve. I think Bloodwood would be gorgeous. I'll need a good pic of the Marantz sleeve if you want a close copy, but it should be an easy project. And winter is on the horizon, and that's when I gear up my shop work. Too hot in the summer.

Miguel I'd be happy to build you a sleeve. I think Bloodwood would be gorgeous. I'll need a good pic of the Marantz sleeve if you want a close copy, but it should be an easy project. And winter is on the horizon, and that's when I gear up my shop work. Too hot in the summer.

That would be awesome! Should get the parts by next Monday and will post pics before after the installation of the new lightbulbs. Cheers.