Home Theater Section

The Monkey

eh, home theater is something I spend a lot of time using, but no time thinking about. I have a solidly midfi home theater, and use it for watching movies. Everyone who watches a movie at my place is impressed, but it's just better than a HTIB, really. One day I'll build somethign nice, but even then I probably wont' obsess about it...

I'm big on video gear, but not so much on the HT audio side of things. Very much in mid-fi land there. As long as it's basic digital surround good enough for games and movies I couldn't really care too much. Lately though I admit I've been finding the sound of my current setup a little lack-lustre. Been thinking about picking up a Sony STR-DA2400ES receiver. With DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, plenty of ports and a nice Faroudja 1080p upscaler I can't see anything missing I'd need.

I'm in favor, I would like to upgrade our HT one of these days. I missed out on a local deal for an Emotiva LPA-1 7 channel amp and MMC-1 Processor on A'gon. I currently have a HT in a box from Klegg that I bought from Oz at Let There Be Sound. Not bad for what it is but I would love to take it to the next level. The catch is my wife doesn't want "big" speakers in the the room which is kind of our main place for watching tv and used to be the living room. I'm thinking small monitors for the fronts and surrounds that are a wood that would match the room well. Something like these, which I think I can get a good deal on from Oz: System-Audio SA505 in cherry

or just keep discussing as is. Are there really enough threads and people here to justify even as many subforums as we have?

Probably not, but variety is the spice of life.

I like the HT idea; I've considered it here and there but never very seriously, mainly because I don't know much about video.

or just keep discussing as is. Are there really enough threads and people here to justify even as many subforums as we have?

Not enough subforums.

A home theater subforum would be cool.

How about 10 + subforums for sponsors so they can clog up my tiny screen.

I'm with Dan on this, I feel its just fine as it is, the HT threads can fit nicely into the current speakers section. There is no need to add another subforum as this place is not exactly overflowing with HT threads. Some other forums I used to visit became waay to cluttered as time went on. They kept adding subforms until the whole place was a mess and I could not keep up with which was which. The worst part is some of the subforms contain only one or two threads in it. :palm:

Like Dusty said, if enough HT threads from the past can be rounded up to fill in a new subforum(at least 2~3 pages worth perhaps?), then fine, else I think its just gonna fill up our screens unnecessarily. I'm fine with it either way, but hope we don't keep adding new subforums every now and then unless absolutely necessary, lest we end up like that other place... :chair:

FWIW, I have a Pioneer HTiB system and I'm fairly happy with it. If I had the spare $ though, I'd probably go crazy on a full blown setup.

I'd like a subforum subforum where we can discuss various subfori.

On a serious not I'd really like to find some super small profile rear channels for my HT rig. They will be wall mounted (in-wall is not an option) so ideally I'd like to find something about the size of the little Bose cubes. I'm tired of not having rear channels.