Need another amp

Upstateguy

Grace Design m902?

Hi Dusty C

Having not heard the 902, I'm a little leery about an amp that has a built in DAC and vice versa. The 902 retails for around $1600, so is it actually an $800 amp with an $800 DAC in tow? Or is it a $1200 amp with a $400 DAC. Or is it like the Benchmark, which also has a built in amp? :confused:

USG

You could even ask steveio if he'll give you an HC price of $2k.

If the GS-1 sounds anything like the Gilmore Reference I wouldn't say it's "analytical". Just rather "neutral". Probably the B22 is more in the analytical side of things, though not harsh.

I find the B22s to which I've listened to be "neutral" and not analytical. I'd happily own one and I'm a tube guy.

My advice would be GS-1 and done. :)

Other options -- M3, B22, SPL Auditor or Phonitor, Headroom Ultra. With $2K to spend in this niche, the world's pretty much your oyster.

Hiya Stretch

I have a GS-1 and 2 penguin M^3s, but I think you're right, another GS-1 is probably going to be the way to go. I tried rolling 8610s, 8065s, 637/627s and 843s into the penguin/sigma but the GS-1 is more of what I'm looking for.

Dynahi or B22 would be your best options.

TK-

I wish I knew someone who could build a B22 as fast as Justin can get me another GS-1, but I think Stretch is right about getting another GS-1 and done.

N-

I never heard a P-1 so I'm reluctant.........:confused:

If the GS-1 sounds anything like the Gilmore Reference I wouldn't say it's "analytical". Just rather "neutral". Probably the B22 is more in the analytical side of things, though not harsh.

T-

Never heard the GR so I can't comment, but maybe the North Star isn't analytical enough?

USG

Yeah, twoth or threeth on the Beta22.

Don't know the answer to your question regarding the Grace Design, all I know is that they are used for monitoring at Abbey Road, which is good enough for me. Studios of any worth prefer analytical/neutral to musical/euphonic every time.

That said, GS-1 is certainly a no-lose choice, I agree with your conclusion.

N-

I never heard a P-1 so I'm reluctant.........:confused:

Wait, I'm confused, you're asking for suggestions but don't want to consider alternatives that you haven't already heard? I guess my confusion is that if you've already heard something why would you care if I recommended it?

If you're concerned about the P-1 I'd point you to some rather established member's opinions about it (Voltron, tyrion, agile_one, etc) who've all owned it along with other not sucky gear. I haven't heard it for more than a few minutes so I can't offer anything other than the fact that my brief impression did not make me doubt what others had to say about it.

I find the B22s to which I've listened to be "neutral" and not analytical. I'd happily own one and I'm a tube guy.

Well, it all depends on how much negative connotation we apply to "analytical". The B22 isn't analytical in the negative sense of killing music by enhancing unnecessary detail, or adding fake "air" or whatever which shouldn't be there. The B22 just lets pass information without adding much of his own. However, with some headphones -the HD800 come to mind- sound becomes kind of "too much of a good thing", while with other phones sound is more balanced and natural.

Is under this perspective that I think that the GR, without being a warm or colored amp, is less "analytical" than the B22. Both are great amps anyway :D

You've got it Steve. To me, "analytical" is an adjective that means somewhat bad sound when talking about audio. If it's worse, it goes from "analytical" to "etched". "Neutral" just means it doesn't have obvious colorations. One of the best head amps I've heard is Ti's (amb) demo B22. It's also one of the prettiest, which makes it sound even better. :D

It's obvious that Antonio and I are saying the same thing. We are just using different words.

You've got it Steve. To me, "analytical" is an adjective that means somewhat bad sound when talking about audio. If it's worse, it goes from "analytical" to "etched". "Neutral" just means it doesn't have obvious colorations. One of the best head amps I've heard is Ti's (amb) demo B22. It's also one of the prettiest, which makes it sound even better. :D

It's obvious that Antonio and I are saying the same thing. We are just using different words.

Which is understandable considering I'm far from an English major ;D

I must admit that when using analytical, I also take it more for a flaw than a virtue. However, considering Upstateguy used this term to define his next amp, and included the GS1 as an usual suspect, I had to think of it in a positive way.

Wait, I'm confused, you're asking for suggestions but don't want to consider alternatives that you haven't already heard? I guess my confusion is that if you've already heard something why would you care if I recommended it?

If you're concerned about the P-1 I'd point you to some rather established member's opinions about it (Voltron, tyrion, agile_one, etc) who've all owned it along with other not sucky gear. I haven't heard it for more than a few minutes so I can't offer anything other than the fact that my brief impression did not make me doubt what others had to say about it.

Apparently I was not clear. Appologies. :dan:

USG

Dusty C-

Some clarification.

I am actually interested in a high quality amp that leans toward the "dark side" of analytical.

USG

I'm still not being clear. By the "dark side" I mean leaning toward what many of you consider to be the negative aspects of analytical. A little etched, enhanced micro details and air etc.

USG