NOS DAC - good match with OTL amp plus Grados?

DynaMike

• 2 months later...

I have a Devilsound NOS dac hooked up to a Mac (hey, that rhymed). I'm using a Millet Hybrid amp with it and listening with HF-2s. My ONLY complaint is the highs are a tad grating; I've broken in the HF-2s for many hours, and I'm thinking it may be the dac. Time to EQ a bit more. Other than that, I'm really happy with this setup :)

Unless you have some $5k OTL amp sell it and get an amp suitable for grados (hybrid or OPT), I recommend the SOHAII. With the money saved get a good DAC. NOS DAC's have a nagging problem in that any frequencies over 15k stay there, in otherwords a 17khz tone is transformed into a 15khz tone due to aliasing with the lack of a filter. Some like this others don't only your ears will know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a "NOS" an2.1 kit and a otl amp (WA2) I use them to power my alessando ms-pro and to me they sound great.

Not that the an2 being NOS had anything to do with it, but when I was just using my asus stx as a computer source before the an2 the ms-pros sounded awful out of the wa2, the sound stage was compressed and the mid range clustered and unorganised.

I guess I dont really have a point, except, buy a good dac, its the weakest link in a lot of audio chains.

• 2 weeks later...