Riverside Appreciation Thread

roadtonowhere08

I might as well make my first post here a good one. I want to see if this gets a bigger reaction here...

I was turned on to this band from the "non-Opeth" part of the official Opeth forum earlier this year. After listening to them obsessively for the past month, I am curious to know why they have not gained more traction than they have here.

Here are my thoughts on them:

Out of Myself

- One of my favorite albums ever!!!

- The guitar is so expressive and full of sorrow throughout the album. It has some of the most emotional and beautiful playing I have ever heard (eg. The Same River, Loose Heart, Reality Dream II, and especially The Curtain Falls). The only material that I have heard that is as gorgeous is Damnation from Opeth and some Pink Floyd and Virgin Black tracks.

- One of those albums you sit back and forget everything around you

- This is the one album from Riverside that rivals anything written by Porcupine Tree in my opinion.

Second Life Syndrome

- Outstanding album, but a step down from their debut.

- After, Conceiving You, Second Life Syndrome (One of the greatest progressive rock songs ever created!!!), and Before are on par with their debut album's material. Outstanding songs!

Rapid Eye Movement

- Not as solid or consistent as the first two albums.

- Standout tracks are Beyond the Eyelids, and 02 Panic Room. Both are outstanding.

Anno Domini High Definition

- New trilogy and very different musical style (for the same band at least).

- Not as good as the first three albums, but it has great parts.

- Keyboards are very different overall and are more upfront instead of playing the atmosphere role.

- Standout tracks are Egoist Hedonist and Hybrid Times.

So overall, it seems like the band peaked with their debut so far, but that does not really do the band justice I believe. Out of Myself is certainly one of my favorite albums ever, but all the other albums have absolutely brilliant tracks as well.

This band should be more popular, considering the praise that Porcupine Tree is getting around here. They are not the same sound to be sure, but I hold Riverside in the same regards as Porcupine Tree: an absolutely sensational band that any progressive rock fan should listen to.

First of all, welcome, sorry about your thin skin, &c.

Nice to see you here.

I pretty much agree with your assessment -- Out of Myself being my favorite as well, but loving every album by them. I actually had not listened to them in a while when I got and heard ADHD, so I really liked it, but didn't realize how much softer it was than previous releases. I really dig the second album.

And yes, definitely: RIYL Porcupine Tree.

I need to put all four on my iPod.

Hey there, nowhere, welcome to the bright side.

Yeah, based on what I have observed here, I might just have to stay. Many less stupid as hell questions and people...

boomana, there is a lot of bad progressive rock, but there is also a lot of outstanding stuff as well. Riverside is an brilliant band. I think you will like them. Dusty Chalk is right. If you like long songs, progressive rock is the ticket.

I might as well make my first post here a good one. I want to see if this gets a bigger reaction here...

I was turned on to this band from the "non-Opeth" part of the official Opeth forum earlier this year. After listening to them obsessively for the past month, I am curious to know why they have not gained more traction than they have here.

Here are my thoughts on them:

Out of Myself

- One of my favorite albums ever!!!

- The guitar is so expressive and full of sorrow throughout the album. It has some of the most emotional and beautiful playing I have ever heard (eg. The Same River, Loose Heart, Reality Dream II, and especially The Curtain Falls). The only material that I have heard that is as gorgeous is Damnation from Opeth and some Pink Floyd and Virgin Black tracks.

- One of those albums you sit back and forget everything around you

- This is the one album from Riverside that rivals anything written by Porcupine Tree in my opinion.

Second Life Syndrome

- Outstanding album, but a step down from their debut.

- After, Conceiving You, Second Life Syndrome (One of the greatest progressive rock songs ever created!!!), and Before are on par with their debut album's material. Outstanding songs!

Rapid Eye Movement

- Not as solid or consistent as the first two albums.

- Standout tracks are Beyond the Eyelids, and 02 Panic Room. Both are outstanding.

Anno Domini High Definition

- New trilogy and very different musical style (for the same band at least).

- Not as good as the first three albums, but it has great parts.

- Keyboards are very different overall and are more upfront instead of playing the atmosphere role.

- Standout tracks are Egoist Hedonist and Hybrid Times.

May I add a kind of a bonus CD (originally an EP containing 4 songs) to your list called "Voices in my Head" .These are songs that didn't make it onto "Out of Myself"

"Voices in my Head" was originally a fan club CD not generally available but later on when the band had gained popularity it was sold in Poland to the public and nowadays it should be available everywhere since InsideOut has reissued it.It's now a CD with 5 studio songs and 3 songs from "Out of Myself" played live.

My personal favorites are "Second Life Syndrome" and the newest "Anno Domini High Definition" so our taste does obviously differ but certainly all the CDs do provide great songs.

To my ears the sound quality of all CDs isn't stellar .

The early CDs seem to suffer a bit from relatively cheap means of production.The latest does sound more "expensive" but it's somewhat overproduced for my tastes.

First class tube distortion, and the EQing/psychoacoustical effects/compressors etc. seem to be mostly expensive analogue gear (or digital did get much better during the last ten years), but in the end they've overdone it.

Too much processing, and from my point of view prog rock definitely hasn't to take part in the loudness race.

It's by far not as bad as many contemporary metal or mainstream hard rock though and at least they did manage to avoid to turn anything into a muddy screaming mess but still ......

Well, maybe in these modern times of heavily compressed sound the saying "if it's too loud you are too old" simply got a new meaning. ;-)

Welcome roadtonowhere08.

I listened to 'Out Of Myself' last night and it sounded a bit generic. But I will give it a few more chances. But other than Porcupine Tree, I'm not a big fan of post prog other than a few bands like Pineapple Thief (and even they've been releasing some bad albums recently).

You ended up not liking the Pure Reason Revolution?

I am definitely a fan of post-prog, although I wouldn't call it that. I used to buy everything on ProgRock Records, Laser's Edge, and InsideOut. There are definitely some more generic ones on there -- I wouldn't list Riverside among them. But yeah, it might be a matter of perspective.

I love the new one (except for the track "Disconnect" -- blech), that was my guess as to whether or not Deepak would like it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The first track off the new album is not that good. All the other tracks are much better.

Even though it is a ways off I'm sure, I am anxious to hear what they will come up with next.