Moving to Monitors

Aura

I use an SVS sub with my 22L floorstanders with success. I just keep the crossover all the way down to the lowest setting (40hz methinks) and the gain just below half. it's not perfect (bass is not completely undirectional, i'd need a second sub or less gain to correct this) but it works for me.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an SVS sub with my 22L floorstanders with success. I just keep the crossover all the way down to the lowest setting (40hz methinks) and the gain just below half. it's not perfect (bass is not completely undirectional, i'd need a second sub or less gain to correct this) but it works for me.

I agree completely. The addition of a second identical sub in my system provided a more realistic soundstage.

This is the same reason I suggested against using a sub with K1Ks. When I tried it with HF-2s even at the lowest crossover, there seemed to be some directionality to the bass.

Unless your dual subs are directly below the desk you sit at when listening to the K1000. This works quite well for me, but they are literally 1' back and 18" down from my listening position. And less than 4' apart.

Regarding amps.....see if you can score an old Threshold S/300..............absolutely awesome......................on and IMHO pre-SST Brystons can be a little brutal.........in the mondo bargain bin, the B&K ST-140, ST-202 and ST-202+ are giant killers!

I had a St-202. It's rolled off high end didn't cut it. I've still got it's polar

opposite here, the Rotel RB980. Too bright. The Aragon, or it's cheaper

cousin the Acurus, would be a much better choice. I've seen the A250

go for as little as $300.

• 2 weeks later...
so any further impressions on the PSBs?

Sure :).

I should note that since this is only my 2nd pair of legitimate speakers, the reference point is still lacking. Nonetheless, it did not take very long to understand what it is I like about the PSB's so much. Here is some of what I've learned and some of what I like...

These monitors lack nothing in the way of fullness compared to tower/floorstanders. I have not really experimented with other monitors, but I guess anyone who claims that monitors cannot provide an encompassing sound should probably listen to these.

The sound as a whole is extremely full, very present. The brick wall behind them might be attributing to this as well. I do sense that I'm getting some reflection off of it, and when I play music that expresses some form of echo in the recording the sound is just incredible. Best example so far would be "The House of Healing" from the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Soundtrack. Liv Tyler's voice is really something in that track, especially for an actress.

Soundstage is great; if there's one thing I really like about my living room it's that I have enough length to really get space between them. Width is close to ideal for me at the moment, depth is tricky but I think I have it about as dialed in as I'll be able to get it. If I move them any closer to the wall the low-end can get a little too bloomy on some of my heavier-hitting albums.

Freq. range stuff:

- Treble can get a little overboard at times. I attribute this to the general balanced presentation of the speakers, and much like the balanced headphones I have heard/owned (HD580 and HD600 in particular) the treble is generally ideal but does feel somewhat bright on occasion.

- Midrange really is about clarity in this setup. It's not leaning either direction to "warm" or "cold". In the past I'd have said I prefer a "warm" sort of midrange but now I am not so sure. I think my Nakamichi receiver and the Parasound are helping a bit here; Nak has never seemed to be very analytical from my gathering and the Parasound expresses some analog qualities that I think help with musicality in the mids. Whatever is going on, I do like it.

- Bass is decent. Not excellent, not terrible. Yes, this is where monitors do give something up to floorstanders, but it's not awful. For bass I always go to metal as my reference genre, specifically I test for double bass drum rolling. With All That Remains' "The Weak Willed" (from the album The Fall of Ideals") this double bass is pretty excellent all things considered. Great impact, very accurate, no bloat, and not overbearing on the rest of the sound. At certain times the bass is full enough that it sounds as if I have a subwoofer in the rig, at other times I can clearly hear the drop-off in the bottom end and know that there is a piece missing. I will say that the M2's bass, even when lacking, still rapes my old Cicadas.

Well, with that in mind, I guess I'll just say that the sound is very balanced. I hate the word neutral and refuse to use it. If I had to say that any particular headphone were similar it would be a mix of one of the Sennheisers and a Grado. The PSB's have that balance that I loved about the HD600, with genuine soundstage (hello depth), the texture of a Grado, and at times bass that is similar to a Grado (can be bloomier). Add with that all the benefits of speakers in general (cough imaging cough) and that is fairly close to what they sound like imo.

I am much happier with these than the Moth stuff, and I know that Sherwood is in heaven with the Cicadas, so all in all it was about as good a swap as I can make.

Hope these impressions made some sense.

~~~

Reks - thanks for the comment, I knew you liked your Strat ;).

Right now there are two separate Nak PA-5's and one Nak CA-5 up for sale on eBay, all separate sellers. I could grab them as a pair for around $700, trying to find reasons why I shouldn't at the moment. There has not been a single bad thing I've heard about either the Nak PA-5 or PA-7; everyone raves about the Stasis elements and Pass's contribution and says "buy it buy it buy it!" A man can only take so much before he falls into the trap and drops the dough...

I should ask if anyone has a recommendation on a very cheap preamp. I'm talking like less than $300. The Nak CA-5 made sense because it was supposed to be matched with the PA-5/PA-7.

Excellent impressions, Aura, and I'm thrilled that they're working out as well for you as they did for me. You are correct that the Moth gear is tickling my fancy over here, so this was a good deal.

Regarding bass, it's very room/placement/amplification dependent. They had deeper bass in my room than they seemed to in yours upon initial setup. I'm sure you've tweaked it since then, but there's lots of good to be had.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that bright treble is good, so long as it's occasional. Sometimes treble is bright, both in real life and on recordings. If a trumpet doesn't occasionally drill a hole in your head, it might mean you're losing detail on everything else.

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that bright treble is good, so long as it's occasional. Sometimes treble is bright, both in real life and on recordings. If a trumpet doesn't occasionally drill a hole in your head, it might mean you're losing detail on everything else.

Good point :).

Got some really good news on the amplification choices -

Nakamichi Amps

I'm going to drive down to Missouri to grab them hopefully within a few weeks. Already talked to the seller, seems like a great guy. He is the original owner which is incredible considering both amps are older than me; had a power surge that blew some transistors in the PA-7 in '05 but it was fully repaired and hasn't had any issues (he has paper work as well); asking price is pretty damn sweet considering the PA-7 alone runs at or above $750 easily, and this is with original packaging and manuals for both amps.

So yeah, I think my decision has been made. All you guys preaching Nelson Pass stuff, this is about as close as I'm gonna get for my budget ;).

I've owned PSB speakers before. They are a pretty decent value.

The smaller volume of bookshelf speakers tend to make them

sound great in the mids and high end. But for lower mids and

bass there just isn't anything like speaker SIZE to help fill in the sound.

I've got a pair of Hales Revelation ones that are a very large bookshelf.

They seem to do everything well, including the lower end. I really had a

hard time finding a floorstander to beat them.

I think the Naks are gonna make you a very happy man.

They are one of the few amps to make me think of moving away from tubes.

• 9 months later...
I suggest looking for used Joseph Audio RM7 speakers. I have the RM7si Sig and have been deliriously happy with them for 12 years. The latest model is supposed to be better. I'll have to send mine in for an upgrade some day.

Email Joseph Audio and find out what it costs to have the new crossovers shipped so you can upgrade them yourself. Jeff will want the old crossovers back.

I did this with a pair of RM25si, upgrading to the Mk.II crossovers. It was a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers,

Graham

"Blue meters, big watts. This must be Heaven!"

Thorens TD126 Mk.III/Ortofon Super OM40, McIntosh MCD205, MDA700, C45, MC252, Joseph Audio RM33si Mk.II

For me the post was quite helpful. I'll have to see how expensive it is and how hard it would be to do myself. I suspect that money will be more of an issue that difficulty, but maybe not. Compare this post to the "What have I bought" thread and you'll see that this one is not bad. :)

For me the post was quite helpful. I'll have to see how expensive it is and how hard it would be to do myself. I suspect that money will be more of an issue that difficulty, but maybe not. Compare this post to the "What have I bought" thread and you'll see that this one is not bad. :)

nah, it will be real easy Ken. I bet there's a good upcharge for the parts and the assembly of the crossover though.

Well since we are talking about older gear, not you Ken, :) what harm is there in a bump of an old post it was helpful to Ken after all? As long as it isn't a shill post that is.

Hey, I am old. ;)

The national sales manager at Joseph Audio responded to my email. I will have to ship my speakers to them (I assume to NY) and they must do the xover swap. They'll pay for return shipment.

Total cost for me is $350 + shipping to them. That's a bit too steep for me until I get a job. I'll seriously consider it after becoming employed again (or when I great lessen my expenses by selling the house and moving).

• 2 weeks later...