what are these plugs called ?

Spiug31

My dad just produced a stax sr-3 and srd-5, it looks to be in good condition but I'd like to hear it and the L and R speaker inputs have this strange plug on them.

spiug31-albums-other-picture1017-srd-5-speaker-connectors.jpg

Does anyone know if the female equivalent is still sold or the name of this peculiar plug ?

I'm thinking of making an adapter cable and trying to feeding the srd-5 from my beta22's XLR outputs (once it returns from repair).

thanks for any help

Hmmm. First thought was some weird insulated banana, but then I noticed 2 conductors each. These aren't some strange RCA plug variant are they? I can't tell from your pic, but do these have a sleeve like an RCA inside the insulation of that plug?

• 1 month later...

Presumably these are the plugs attached to the ends of the left and right speaker outputs from the SRD-5. They are of no use unless you want to connect those outputs to a speaker with the equivalent female terminals, and as these are nearly unheard of, I would suggest removing the connectors. The inputs (from the amplifier) should be bare screw down terminals also at the back of the unit from memory. You should run your amp output to the bare screw terminal inputs of the SRD-5 and the cabled outputs on the unit to the speakers + and - terminals. The speaker/headphone switch will then work correctly.

I think you're right . :confused:

I was right and am right.

Presumably these are the plugs attached to the ends of the left and right speaker outputs from the SRD-5. They are of no use unless you want to connect those outputs to a speaker with the equivalent female terminals, and as these are nearly unheard of, I would suggest removing the connectors. The inputs (from the amplifier) should be bare screw down terminals also at the back of the unit from memory. You should run your amp output to the bare screw terminal inputs of the SRD-5 and the cabled outputs on the unit to the speakers + and - terminals. The speaker/headphone switch will then work correctly.

They'd be connected to the amp level input wires as these were used quite broadly on cheaper electronics in europe in the 70s and 80s. Also because that Stax box has spring terminal connection sockets for the speaker output iirc.

Polk used to use those on their SDA speakers, for the cable that places one driver from each array into the opposing cabinet.

Also have seen them on really old car radio speaker cables. Pretty unusual for sure.

Not unusual per se. Just obsolete. Everybody just switched over to banana plugs.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I was incorrect - the coloured wires, because they are so short, have to be connected to the back of an amplifier. The other terminals are for the speaker cables to connect to. Sorry about the senior moment. To repeat (correctly) for a normal amp with speaker cable screw down terminals, the coloured wires connect to the speaker terminals at the back of the amp, the screw terminals are used to attach the speaker wires. Sorry about that!