Computer Audio Recommendations

luvdunhill

So, I'm looking to grab some sort of external sound card for a number of purposes. My requirements are:

PC based

External

>= 24/192

I need to be able to use this with RMAA, SpeakerWorkshop, LSPCad, etc. hence the PC requirement. The 24/192 is a requirement on the analog inputs for things like RMAA and needle-drops eventually. Budget is flexible

One that caught my eye so far is the Edirol FA-66, but I'd be interested in seeing what else would qualify.

top_M.jpg

Sure, let's assume it does. The deal is the software I need to use isn't available on the Mac, hence the limitation there.

Sure, I see where you're coming from. I forget I don't have to qualify those sorts of questions over here.

The RME Fireface 400 is really a phenomenal interface, and I prefer it to its USB cousin. Your application may not require all it provides, however.

I added a Diamond 7.1 PCI card on my PC. Coax SPDIF I and O, 24/96 capable.

About $30.

I got some native 24/96 WAV's, there was a noticable improvement for the hi-rez playback compared to 16/44.

Not sure if it fits all your needs, but if you have slot space, a nice cheap alternative to USB options.

EDIT: I see you want 24/192. I'm sure there are cards that support this as well.....

EDIT2: Argh! Just read your "external" requirement. Curious as to why, though.....

How about this sucka? :)

RME: Fireface UC

Yeah, Looks Nice :)

I think I forsee a three-way shootout in the future. I don't mind buying the Edirol FA66 (need to find a place with a good return policy) and taking up Naaman on his offer, so all that leaves is the EMU 0404 2.0 USB.

Doug: RMAA supports ASIO in the pro version. You can even perform cross API testing (MME, DirectSound, KS, ASIO)