TAS on USB audio

I used to be a big proponent of computer audio but after reading that I've given up on computers completely - True story.

<_________<

Honestly though, computers were never meant to be "optimized for audio" (unless you're willing to spend major dough to fix up the flaws) and besides, whenever I'm at the computer, my attention span drops from whatever it was irl to that of a hyperactive 6 year old's.

it's not entirely off base in that most usb dacs I have heard have sucked as have usb to coax converters. Computer audio has so many advantages but really in the USB DAC world the only true world class DAC I have heard is the Ayre. I had the cosecant and after a while I grew to really dislike the sound.

Oddly on the mac I'd rather go optical than usb every dac I owned sounded better that way over a usb direct when available or through a usb converter.

I tested four USB cables: a stock “Brand X” strand that came with some peripheral I own (probably a printer), a Belkin Gold Series model ($44.99), a KimberKable ($50), and the dearly-priced Synergistics Tricon USB ($550). Of these, the generic and Kimber Kable cables were the least satisfactory—both reinforced USB’s synthetic quality. The Synergistics Tricon thankfully did not suffer that shortcoming, and was laudable in most every other way. However, the cable was notably bright. This trait can actually be an advantage in some applications. For example, if I owned a Bryston BDA-1 and were using its USB input, I would not be without the Tricon. Its top-end boost does indeed synergistically counteract the Bryston USB input’s high-frequency deficit, allowing instruments to breathe and strings to sound more like themselves. However, with more neutral associated equipment, such as the ARC DAC7 or the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96, the Tricon’s brightness exacerbated the shrieky nature of USB strings.

The best overall USB cable I tried was unquestionably the Belkin Gold Series. A huge step up from generic cable, the Belkin was very nearly the equal of the Tricon in every particular, with the added benefit of being dead neutral. The fact that it can be had for less than fifty bucks is a great bonus. For now, the Belkin Gold is my reference USB cable.

:rolleyes:

OK, not USB, but I bet this little setup sounded quite nice for a "mere computer rig".

large_41.jpg

1. Magico M5 speakers:

2. (4) Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DA convertors to the Boulder 2010 preamp - 2 meter balanced wireworld silver eclipse 6

3. (4) Custom HD26 to dual wire with clock break out cables from the Lynx cards to the Pacific Microsonics Model 2 converters.

4. MIT Oracle MAX-Vee balanced interconnecting wire from the Boulder 2010 preamp to the Boulder 2060 Power amp.

5. 2 sets of MIT Oracle V1.1 MA speakers wires, (Magico M5 were bi-wired).

6. Noren Acousti-Lock g-Cab hush box for G5 Mac, (used to reduce the noise from the Power Mac G5).

7. Matan proprietary cable from his server to Pacific Microsonics Model 2 converter.

8. Symposium Acoustics - Precision Rack with 42" x 24" Ultra shelves. Unloaded, the rack weighed about 350 pounds

9. JVC RS20 video Projector.

Computers

A comment after the article...

"When I read text of my hard disk drive via USB words are not magically changed, HOT is not changed to HIT. The USB cable and protocol guarantee 100% error free data or no data at all. The DAC sees the EXACTLY the same set of digits whether USB, Firewire or S/PDIF or indeed any and all digital interfaces that uses error correction eg CRC checks that make sure that if the data is not 100% accurate it is re-sent until it is."

I dunno.

OT, I still hold to the idea that the major differences are within the dac chip itself, where the analog signal is born. Just like the dac within your system, if you don't have a good infant signal to begin with...

Comments like that invite discussion of jitter, meaning that a bunch of blindly opinionated people, none of whom own an oscilloscope, let alone know how to use one, will start ranting like a bunch of Christians of different denominations thrown in a room together to discuss the religious symbolism of William Blake's poetry.

Yes, I speak from experience about the William Blake bit.