Zu

mjb

What do you guys think about Zu's? Specifically the Druid mk IV? I'm thinking of picking-up a pair used for around $1600... I briefly heard them at a dealer and really liked what I heard, but they were being driven by a big solid state amp (even though they're very sensitive)... I plan on driving them with a 2 watt decware SET amp.

Thanks,

mjb

They're very divisive speakers at a number of sites due to their comparatively poor measured performance, but it's pretty decent for a crossoverless design. IIRC, the main driver is run wide open and the supertweeter has a highpass cap crossover.

I, for one, love them. Their sensitivity is appropriate for a SET amp, and their impedance may be, but I can't vouch for how stable they are.

$1600 isn't an amazing price, and they come up on A'gon for less, but if your pair is local it's probably worth it not to have to deal with shipping them.

I heard an older pair of the floor standers (before they went to ribbon tweeters) a couple years ago. I agree with jp#'s in that they do smaller scale well, but don't quiote do bigger or harder music as well.

Also, we had to toy with placement a bit to get best sound.....they sounded even worse until they "snapped in"