Anybody got any surplus nylon braid?

CarlSeibert

That they might want to sell?

I'm about to place an order at Parts Connexion, but they don't carry nylon sheath. I don't want to place an order at Take Five for four feet of braid (I'd probably end up buying a set of WBT plugs or something, too.)

I need about 4 feet of 1/2 inch (this stuff: Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For High-End Audio, Parts and Accessories - Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve ) for a half meter pair of interconnects. It doesn't have to black. Some other color or a cool pattern would be fine (or better)

If anybody needs something from Parts Connexion that's not worth the shipping, holler and I'll add it to my order.

1/2" sleeving is pretty huge. What type of IC's are you building?

These will be my first attempt at shielded. The plan is to do basically the IC that has worked for me before - solid core silver in Teflon spaghetti around cotton core (7/32 or thereabouts) - some cotton spacing material, then braided shield with maybe foil if I feel ambitious and adjust to make it fit in an arbitrary size sheath. 1/2" seems big enough to fit it all in, although I suspect not with as much space between the conductors and shield as I originally fantasized, and small enough to fit on jacks at one inch centers. How I'll taper down to fit in the back of my RCAs...well, I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

I'm pretty sure I have some 1/2" braid from back in the day. I will check when I get home this evening.

Cool. Thanks.

These will be my first attempt at shielded. The plan is to do basically the IC that has worked for me before - solid core silver in Teflon spaghetti around cotton core (7/32 or thereabouts) - some cotton spacing material, then braided shield with maybe foil if I feel ambitious and adjust to make it fit in an arbitrary size sheath. 1/2" seems big enough to fit it all in, although I suspect not with as much space between the conductors and shield as I originally fantasized, and small enough to fit on jacks at one inch centers. How I'll taper down to fit in the back of my RCAs...well, I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

Cool. Thanks.

Sounds nice, very ambitious- be sure to put up some pics when you finish.

The braid arrived today.

Many thanks, morphsci!

You were most generous. There's more here than I need. I feel a power cord coming on. If the size works out, it too will sport a fancy braid sheath.

I made the cores for the shielded cables this weekend. When the rest of the parts arrive and I get them together, I'll post.