which full-range speakers for 3k

mjb

so, if you had 3k to spend, which would you get?

i've decided against going the hi-eff + set/jfet route... i'd like to stick with an AB amp >60w + tube pre. i know what i like when i hear it, but everything i like is too expensive :-) fwiw, if money were no object, i'd get a pair of b&w 802d.

if i go over budget and pickup a new pair of 804s's ($4500), my local dealer is willing to give me a generous trade-in (basically 99% of what i paid new) once i have enough for the 802d ($14000)... and i know that if i change my direction, i can get really good resale value on agon for any of the b&w line (speaking from experience, having sold 3 pairs of b&w's on there over the years)...

for those of you who've heard the 802d, would you recommend anything i should hear?

thanks,

mjb

Try and hear a Maggie 3.6R (thought they are probably slightly over your budget and don't fit your amp requirements, but that's what you get for posting a question on Head-Case :laugh: ). You might like it you might not. I think if you're going to spend that much money you should at least get a taste of planars.

yeah... maggies get all the love, but man, there are already so many speakers to choose from, a man must limit himself to keep his sanity...hrm

i was thinking of taking advantage of their 90 day money back offer to try them out. i've just got a 70w rotel rb-1050 power amp.. think that'd at least do them justice to try them out on?

i've just got a 70w rotel rb-1050 power amp.. think that'd at least do them justice to try them out on?

Honestly? No. They need gobs of power to open up.

I had to google that term, I assumed it was something dirty :P

They used to be mail order, and have been making great ribbon speakers for decades now. They now have dealers, so auditions are somewhat easier.

first of all... my question specifically pointed out the set of speakers i've heard that i like but can not afford right now and was asking the question of those who've heard those speakers and may be able to point me in the right direction for what to audition.

In case you haven't noticed, there are a whole hell of a lot of really good speakers out there, far too many to audition... this was intended to narrow things down a bit for me.

3k on speakers IS different from 100 on headphones... unless you're made of money. i can afford to lose whatever i would lose on resale of 100 headphones... but not so much 3k speakers.

But thank you so much grawk for your ever so helpful wisdom on how to shop for speakers and participate in the speaker forum.

mjb

Yeah, just buy whatever BW's you can afford, and you just said with your dealer they will offer you a full trade in value. I think that is more or less what Grawk is alluding to, you already mention you like that particular house sound, so just stick within it.

Yeah, just buy whatever BW's you can afford, and you just said with your dealer they will offer you a full trade in value. I think that is more or less what Grawk is alluding to, you already mention you like that particular house sound, so just stick within it.

Yeah, that is a route to go... it's just that he'd give me full trade-in on a new pair I buy from him, not necessarily any pair... and while I like their speakers, I don't feel the sound justifies the high cost until you're up into their diamond tweeter line (803D is very good, the 802/1/0D are great)... but yeah, I might just bite the bullet and grab a new pair of 804S to listen to while I save another 10k :-)

Thanks all,

mjb

Full range. 3k?

Quad Quad Quad Quad Quad Quad Quad.

If you're lucky, a Soundlab.

Quad is not full range, if full range means 20hz - 20khz

But I love Quad 2805 and 2095 or whatever older version you can find. I heard many Quad electros and all of them are just so musical w/o sacrificing any hi-fi quality (ok they don't extend as far and go as deep as Watt Puppy...but so what).

OP: if having 2 full-size mattresses in your living room turns you off, you can try spkers from Spendor, Harbeth, ProAc, or Tannoy. You can do fairly well with $4k+ budget, assuming you are getting from Agon. But again, no full range until you can spend at least 10k. Oh and IMO the newer B&W sounds nothing like a good English speaker, hi-fi but not musical...what a shame

Quad is not full range, if full range means 20hz - 20khz

But I love Quad 2805 and 2095 or whatever older version you can find. I heard many Quad electros and all of them are just so musical w/o sacrificing any hi-fi quality (ok they don't extend as far and go as deep as Watt Puppy...but so what).

OP: if having 2 full-size mattresses in your living room turns you off, you can try spkers from Spendor, Harbeth, ProAc, or Tannoy. You can do fairly well with $4k+ budget, assuming you are getting from Agon. But again, no full range until you can spend at least 10k. Oh and IMO the newer B&W sounds nothing like a good English speaker, hi-fi but not musical...what a shame

Full range rarely means the speaker needs to reproduce 20hz.

Generally anything producing 35hz or below would qualify.

Yeah, that is a route to go... it's just that he'd give me full trade-in on a new pair I buy from him, not necessarily any pair... and while I like their speakers, I don't feel the sound justifies the high cost until you're up into their diamond tweeter line (803D is very good, the 802/1/0D are great)... but yeah, I might just bite the bullet and grab a new pair of 804S to listen to while I save another 10k :-)

Thanks all,

mjb

The old Nautilus line is supposed to be pretty good.

PS If you're not going to pay for diamonds, don't expect diamonds. If you really want diamonds, either stimulate the economy and use money you don't have credit, or save up until you do.

The old Nautilus line is supposed to be pretty good.

PS If you're not going to pay for diamonds, don't expect diamonds. If you really want diamonds, either stimulate the economy and use money you don't have credit, or save up until you do.

the devil on my shoulder...