Naim DAC

deepak

No thread for the latest ladder DAC on Head-Case :kitty:

I believe it does HDCD, looks like it does it through the custom DSP filter?

Naim Audio

71948609.png

# Chassis: The 3mm aluminium chassis and die cast fascia provide the fundamental structural rigidity necessary for low microphony.

# Printed Circuit Boards: Six layer glass fiber PCBs optimised for low microphony and high speed data transfer.

# Analogue Filters: Two Cascaded third order Sallen-Key active filters giving 36dB/Octave roll-off. Each stage incorporates Naim zero-feedback complimentary buffers.

# I to V Converters: Convert the current output of the digital to analogue converters to a voltage waveform ready for analogue filtering.

# DAC Chips: Burr Brown PCM1704K. A true multi-bit digital to analogue converter chip as used in the CD555.

# Re-clocking Gate: Re-clocks the data immediately before it enters the DAC chips to remove any influence from the isolation circuits.

# Crystal Sine-wave Oscillators: Crystal oscillators have lower signal correlated noise and phase noise than voltage controlled clocks. The DAC employs ten separately tuned oscillators.

# DSP to Analogue Electrical Isolation: Ensures that the high frequency noise of digital electronics cannot leak into the analogue output stages.

# SHARC DSP: Operates on the digital data to filter the out-of-band artifacts. 40bit, 16 times over-sampling topology.

# Blackfin DSP: Handles USB, controls the DAC and conditions the incoming USB data.

# Data RAM: Buffers the incoming S/PDIF data stream ready for re-clocking by the appropriate crystal oscillator.

# Low Noise Power Supply: Multi-regulated and smoothed power supply with separate outputs for each element.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of them is in the front. Maybe if someone wants to come over with a laptop or something.

I believe the question was how the hack can it accept 24/768 over USB

Formats

Audio files supported: USB = WAV (LPCM up to 768kHz / 32bit)

Sample Rate

USB 32kHz to 768kHz, 24bit

S/PDIF 32kHz to 192kHz, 24 bit

iPod, iPhone 48kHz max

Yes good point I didn't think of that :palm:

Maybe it's poorly worded and means it upsamples USB data to that frequency.

I don't think it's a regular USB DAC that connects to a computer.

According to the description, you plug USB memory sticks into the USB ports. The DAC then reads and plays the music files stored on the memory stick.

Then that is a bit strange, since it does have a Blackfin DSP on board and I believe someone here was going to (or thought about) using a Blackfin for regular USB input from a computer.

Edited by deepak

I believe it does HDCD, looks like it does it through the custom DSP filter?

IIRC the PMD200 is actually a blackfin DSP (like the one the Naim is using) so it looks like they've re-created the PMD200 somehow...

I hope the USB stick/ipod input have been done properly - me likes not having to worry about SPDIF.