Naim DAC

deepak

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC the PMD200 is actually a blackfin DSP (like the one the Naim is using) so it looks like they've re-created the PMD200 somehow...

I hope the USB stick/ipod input have been done properly - me likes not having to worry about SPDIF.

Nah PMD200 is a piece of code they stuck on 1 of 4 pieces of hardware the best of which and most common being a black fin. Thus it may not be the PMD200 code on it even if it does HDCD. Would have to see inside shots to see if it has PMD200 stamped on it.. I doubt they could straight up "recreate" it without some sort of licensing... which they may have done. Dunno.

Which French company is that?

Thanks

Dude...if you cared to read around and just maintain an average general knowledge about audio...there are barely a few hi end french audiophile companies.

The one he is talking about AND owns is the Audio Aero Capitole, a ridiculously non-digital sounding source. The french nailed it with the sound signature.

Dude...if you cared to read around and just maintain an average general knowledge about audio...there are barely a few hi end french audiophile companies.

The one he is talking about AND owns is the Audio Aero Capitole, a ridiculously non-digital sounding source. The french nailed it with the sound signature.

Thanks dude, I only though of it after I posted. No wonder Audio Aero is so high recommended here...

I'd like to see more info on how they do the I/V. Kind of weird that they use PCM1704-K and then their spec is roughly TI's spec of the ordinary grade chip using a suboptimal NE5534-based I/V. On the other hand, if it's just noise (such as big fb resistor to accomodate the -6dB attenuation spec'd by Pac Micro), then I guess that's understandable. In any case, not suggesting it'll sound worse, but if they're using an op-amp based output something reasonably well optimised should be able to meet the K spec. If not, well then I especially want to know more! TI's spec for the chip is arguably a bit conservative, too, at least based on my experience with this chip *shrug*.

Anyway, would like moar infos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...