Eddie Current / Laconic Lunch Box has landed!

en480c4

The Backstory:

So, Nate ordered a Lunch Box from Eddie Current, and realized he wouldn't need it because of his plans to build an Akido. I had almost ordered one, and a trade was worked out so that I would get the Lunch Box for my office rig. The office setup was completed by another trade with Nate to get his HD-600's since this amp is for headphones with > 150 ohm impedence.

The Arrival:

Well, it finally arrived yesterday @ Nate's office. As we only work a few miles apart, it was all I could do to wait 'til after work to get it! So you can imagine my disappointment when I get home after work, insert the tubes, plug it in and find it won't turn on! No! So it left with Nate to see if he could diagnose the problem.

It turns out a solder joint on the jumper that connected to the main fuse had broken, and needless to say, no fuse, no power. So a little soldering action and it was up and running. No need to send it back and delay the listening! And more importantly the amp should be all set for the Boston meet Saturday.

The Arrival - Take 2:

Well, I met up with Nate before work and took possession of the Lunch Box again. I got to the office and plugged it in to let it warm up. I hooked the Lunch Box up to my work PC and its onboard sound and once I got settled in, I gave it a listen...

The (Initial) Impressions:

I'm going to keep this portion short, mainly because I wasn't doing any critical listening. But there were a few things that definitely stood out and are worth mentioning.

• Presentation - The only way I can describe it is effortless. There seemed to be power to spare, and at no point did things get congested or muddy.
  • Tonal Balance - The presentation is well balanced. The treble, mids and bass all seem to have their place, with no obvious holes across the frequencies. The presentation is airy, with excellent instrument separation, even during complex passages.
  • Highs - The treble seems to have the magic balance of plenty of detail while remaining smooth. There was some initial graininess that seemed to go away after the first hour.
  • Mids - The midrange seems very balanced, handling a wide variety of different music. It was smooth when it needed to be, and provided just the right amount of texture when called for.
  • Lows - The bass has a pretty good combination of extension and detail. Nothing earth-shattering, but solid and balanced.
  • PRAT - The impact, speed and decay all sounded good, again with no obvious deficiences.

The best compliment I can give this amp is things just sound "right."

I listened all day at the office today to everything from Agalloch, Opeth, Isis & Nine Inch Nails to Ivy, Fiona Apple, Emilie Autumn & Tori Amos, and it handled it all without any trouble. That's a pretty varied group of artists, with everything from heavy guitars to piano, with black and death metal vocals to lighter female vocals and with organic sounds to some crazy electronic textures. So I definitley tried a little of everything.

The (Initial) Conclusion:

Well, since this unit has such low hours on it, and my time with it has been limited, these are obviously only initial impressions. But I feel very confident in saying it's an absolute steal at $160. The amp has no obvious shortcomings, which is saying something considering the price point. I'm sure some things may pop up here and there the more I listen to it, but there seems to be an excellent little amp here.

I'll be sure to update this thread with more impressions as I spend more time with it.

Oh yeah, and the obligatory picture:

1156357440_dscn3299.jpg

2 quick follow-ups:

• Build quality, broken fuse aside, is quite good. The textured finish is excellent. The only build-quality issue would have to be the volume pot. It offers no real resistance and is the only thing that feels cheap.
  • Gain is way too high. I turned down the output on the computer to about 25%, and the volume in Foobar to about 50% and I still could never get past 10 or 11 o'clock for a volume position.

So the cheap volume control combined with high gain could make this a little difficult to use with a non-computer source. Just didn't want to leave anything out ;)

Fuck...I just may have to get me one of these if it stands up to a Millett Hybrid. Does it?

That would depend on how your Millett is setup. Based on my brief (half hour) listening session last night after repairing the fuse I would say it would easily stand toe to toe with a basic Millett but I don't think it'd stand up to one configured with nicer parts. But that Millett would also cost more so $$ for $$ it is probably the better of the two. Ian should be able to say more since he's got an ok Millett to compare it to ;D. Also, the LB is definitely limited in what it can drive (nothing less than 150ohm and uber high gain) so it's more restricted than the Millett design. Bottom line, at $160 why would you not get one.

Reks, you're absolutely right about the attenuators. I'd wager with a CD player for a source most people are going to have problems. I really wish that I still had my K340s to try with this thing.

How's the replication of soundstage with that little bugger?

Tough to say, to be honest. I mean, I was designing connections for a 4 story structural steel building, so I could only diver so much attention to the headphones! :P Having said that, it should I should make it clear I'm not a big soundstage guy, so it doesn't rank high on my list of things to listen for. To give you an idea where I'm coming from, I don't miss the soundstage of the 650 since moving to the HF-1 as my primary headphone at home.

Fuck...I just may have to get me one of these if it stands up to a Millett Hybrid. Does it?

Well, I never really cared for the Millett with the Senns. I love my Millett with my HF-1, but never used it with my 650/Zu. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the Lunch Box with something other than the computer. I'll probably bring the Lunch Box & 600's home at some point and do some comparisons with the Millett/HF-1 combo. I know my Denon DVM-4800 (with the ALPHA processor) very well, so I'll be curious to see how well it scales with a "real" source. I'm guessing the iPod would probably be a step up from the computer, too.

HTH...

sounds like some line attenuators on the input might be in order for people who aren't using a computer source. the lunchbox is certainly a cute little bugger :)

Yeah, the attenuators would be a good solution for the gain.

That would depend on how your Millett is setup. Based on my brief (half hour) listening session last night after repairing the fuse I would say it would easily stand toe to toe with a basic Millett but I don't think it'd stand up to one configured with nicer parts. But that Millett would also cost more so $$ for $$ it is probably the better of the two. Ian should be able to say more since he's got an ok Millett to compare it to ;D. Also, the LB is definitely limited in what it can drive (nothing less than 150ohm and uber high gain) so it's more restricted than the Millett design. Bottom line, at $160 why would you not get one.

I'll definitely be curious to do a real sit-down comparison between the two. I'd say my Millett is more than "OK" ;) , so it should be a good comparison. I also haven't listened to the Millett with the 600's, which should be interesting. The 600's seem airier (is that a word?) and the 650's always struck me as a little muddy with the Millett. So there's a chance I'll have new love for the Millett/Senn combo! Regardless, I'm not really in much of a position to compare them yet because I really have never spent much time listening to the Millett with the Senns.

And yes, at $160, it's pretty ridiculous!

Thanks for that Nate. I actually don't have a millett hybrid and was thinking about getting one in the near future, DIY of course. Sounds like it would be an excellent tube amp solution, even though I've been eyeing a PPX3 Slam for quite a while, but I don't have the kind of money for that because I'm a college student with no part time job. I'm very interested in hearing the soundstages that tube amps offer, the whole surrounding feeling that they give you, and it seems that I would like a nice warm sound as well (I think...because I haven't heard anything besides a GLite and Hornet). From what I see, it seems you make some sweet Millett's, would that be something you might be interested in? (Yeah yeah I got it from Entourage)

Tough to say, to be honest. I mean, I was designing connections for a 4 story structural steel building, so I could only diver so much attention to the headphones! :P Having said that, it should I should make it clear I'm not a big soundstage guy, so it doesn't rank high on my list of things to listen for. To give you an idea where I'm coming from, I don't miss the soundstage of the 650 since moving to the HF-1 as my primary headphone at home.

Well, I never really cared for the Millett with the Senns.

Oh is that right? I'm a huge soundstage person so it'd definitely be something that I take into consideration when buying something. I really wish I could make it out to a meet to listen to some amps, but without the necessary funds to do so (or the mode of transportation) I can't, meaning I usually have to buy blind and see if I like it. I'm really eyeing a Millett Hybrid these days, but what do I know when it comes to how they sound besides what I read on here or at Head-fi. It seems like it would be a very good tube solution because the PPX3 is WAY out of my budget range. Meh...I guess my hornet will have to do for now.

Your job sounds really fun, I used to want to be a structural engineer actually, but somewhere along the lines I took the MCAT and applied to Med Schools, haha.

Sounds like it would be an excellent tube amp solution, even though I've been eyeing a PPX3 Slam for quite a while, but I don't have the kind of money for that because I'm a college student with no part time job.

I hear ya, I work 40+ a week and still feel like there's no $$$ to be had for headphone fun these days. Of course if "acts of god" would stop destroying things that I own (house + car so far this year) I'd be in better financial shape.

From what I see, it seems you make some sweet Millett's, would that be something you might be interested in? (Yeah yeah I got it from Entourage)

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but thanks for the compliment and when you get ready to go shopping for Milletts drop me a PM. Ask Thaddy, I'm a sucker for a sad story. ;D

I hear ya, I work 40+ a week and still feel like there's no $$$ to be had for headphone fun these days. Of course if "acts of god" would stop destroying things that I own (house + car so far this year) I'd be in better financial shape.

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but thanks for the compliment and when you get ready to go shopping for Milletts drop me a PM. Ask Thaddy, I'm a sucker for a sad story. ;D

Haha, sorry about your house and car, I totally know what you mean. It's like I spend so much of my time listening to music, but since I'm in college, things like clothes and food are way more important, not to mention books upon books for medical school, god those MCAT books cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks Nate, I'll hit you up sometime soon about the Millett! :dance: :dance:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just today I read a post about the Lunch Box over on that other site :D

supposedly Craig is coming out with the lunch box II...

only available in black and I believe it can drive both low and high impedance headphones whereas the LB I is specifically for high.

I love my DA-500 - Lunchbox - HD-600 combo at work. Tough to beat the bang-for-the-buck of that combo. I'd definitely be curious to hear what they came up with for low-z cans, though that's not the route I'm planning on going when its time for the Grados to get a new amp.