NoValidTitle

The Head-Case gun thread

I'm personally not interested in silencers or suppressors. Hollow point bullets are for self-defense. If I ever (hopefully never) had to shoot someone, I'd want the bullet that could do the most damage fastest to stop whatever attack that was happening to me. Hollow points are designed to expand on impact, causing more tissue trauma and more blood loss. That's what I'd want.

*shrug* Coming from a country where it is very difficult for an average citizen to get hold of guns, but still relatively easy for the crooks...... more often than not, the crooks just shoot each other.

QFT

We need to rectify that. There is no reason why a state should be allowed to make the innocent into the helpless, so they can't defend themselves against the criminal element or enjoy their freedom and rights.

I do not need a suppressor, short barrel rifle, or full auto firearm for self defense nor do I feel helpless because I do not have them. Hollow points on the other hand, I have plenty.

Here in Quebec, owning a gun other than for hunting is not really well seen, so I'm always fascinated by these kind of threads. I have a honest question, with no trace of malice or hidden intentions:

What's the point of owning a gun with a silencer, hollow point bullets and that kind of stuff?

Hearing protection - you can't tell the bad guy, "wait a sec while I put on my ear muffs or ear plugs". And, the bullet is less likely to over-penetrate and hit someone on the other side of the criminal as the bullet zips right through without stopping the criminal.

Also, I've had my concealed weapon permit for 15 years and have only had to pull my gun out twice. But having it with me instills a greater responsibility to AVOID conflicts, because IF I am seen as the instigator (name calling, etc) and I get attacked, and then I use the weapon to defend myself, I'm still the bad guy. So, it makes it more important to avoid conflicts and you become less likely to have to use it.

...Also, I've had my concealed weapon permit for 15 years and have only had to pull my gun out twice. ....

I've not had a concealed weapon permit for 53 years and I have never pulled a gun on a human being. Never missed carrying one. However, I did learn a thing or two about conflict resolution growing up on the south side of Chicago. Maybe that helped.

I've not had a concealed weapon permit for 53 years and I have never pulled a gun on a human being. Never missed carrying one. However, I did learn a thing or two about conflict resolution growing up on the south side of Chicago. Maybe that helped.

1. I came home from from work in the middle of the day to change clothes after dropping my motorcycle, and interrupted a burglary around 11 years ago. Called the Sherriff who came out to back me up while I covered the house with my Glock, and the invaders were caught entering another house 1-2 days later.

2. A road rage'r who tried to use a bicycle lane to pass me on the right as I was turning right into a parking lot to my right decided to follow me into the lot and start banging on my driver window with a kuboton on his keyring, while I had three school kids in the car with me. (about 2 year ago)

Both times a firearm was handy to have with me and make them go away.

PS: Oops, forgot about Houston 1989 as an pediatric medical intern, in the parking lot Ben Taub County Hospital - knife wielding thug approaches and I pull .25ACP Beretta from fanny pack and relief him of his knife. I did not have a permit (didn't have them in Texas back then), but a friend was a police officer and approved.

lots of violence during the middle ages.

So many comments about this.....:)

Up north our interest about your relation with guns has nothing to do with the borderline morbid fascination about lethal weapons of some US residents. A fascination that probably cant be fully understood outside the US anyway.

Bottom line, many of us who (like me) are having a visceral hate for guns would probably end up owning one ''Dirty Harry special edition'' if placed in the same shoes...

All we are hoping is that we can continue to live in a country where these fears (no doubt about it they are greatly legitimate in most of your cities) wont find their way here.

Amicalement

As much fun as the gun thrash is, I'd prefer we not have it here. Can we keep any discussion about guns here to appreciating the mechanical aspects, and leave the various political implications for other venues? And for those who object strenuously to the mere existence of firearms, can you just refrain from participating in the discussions?

As much fun as the gun thrash is, I'd prefer we not have it here. Can we keep any discussion about guns here to appreciating the mechanical aspects, and leave the various political implications for other venues? And for those who object strenuously to the mere existence of firearms, can you just refrain from participating in the discussions?

A wise decision but you must admit the thread was going in another direction from an early start.

Guns as a mechanical art form....why not...;)

Amicalement

I've been observing this discussion and do not wish to add anything to it, however I would like to say that I have been impressed at the level of "openness" and general quality of exchange. This topic can be pretty explosive (ha ha) and I think HCers are doing a good job of sharing massively disparate ideals without insulting one another. Respect.

1. I came home from from work in the middle of the day to change clothes after dropping my motorcycle, and interrupted a burglary around 11 years ago. Called the Sherriff who came out to back me up while I covered the house with my Glock, and the invaders were caught entering another house 1-2 days later.

I'm not sure how your firearm was really of any use here. The perpetrator was not caught in your house but was caught 1 - 2 days later.:confused:

2. A road rage'r who tried to use a bicycle lane to pass me on the right as I was turning right into a parking lot to my right decided to follow me into the lot and start banging on my driver window with a kuboton on his keyring, while I had three school kids in the car with me. (about 2 year ago)

I find this disturbing. This is not a political comment, but the comment of a father.

PS: Oops, forgot about Houston 1989 as an pediatric medical intern, in the parking lot Ben Taub County Hospital - knife wielding thug approaches and I pull .25ACP Beretta from fanny pack and relief him of his knife. I did not have a permit (didn't have them in Texas back then), but a friend was a police officer and approved.

Been there, done that, twice. Didn't remotely need a firearm either time. Still here, no scars (from those incidents).

I'm not saying that there aren't people who should be able to carry a concealed weapon but I feel no need to.

I'm not sure how your firearm was really of any use here. The perpetrator was not caught in your house but was caught 1 - 2 days later.:confused:

I find this disturbing. This is not a political comment, but the comment of a father.

Been there, done that, twice. Didn't remotely need a firearm either time. Still here, no scars (from those incidents).

I'm not saying that there aren't people who should be able to carry a concealed weapon but I feel no need to.

Did you not listen to Grawk's comments and want to honor his request? I have plenty to say but will not.

Did you not listen to Grawk's comments and want to honor his request? I have plenty to say but will not.

These are not political commentaries, I was merely trying to point out that in 2/3 of your scenarios a gun was either unneccessary or worrisome. Plus I do not think you want to speak for Dan. Obviously you have a comprehension problem so I will retire from this "discussion".

Ok to put things back on topic does anyone have any opinions on the Sig Sauer P250 compact. Looking for something reliable and somewhat customizable without going the (read $$$) true customization route. I also like having multiple calibers available with a relatively simple change of barrel and magazine. Does not have to be ultra concealable but I do want something smaller than full size as I already have other full size pistols.

I used to have a p239 with 40s&w, 357sig and 9mm barrels. Was a nice bit of kit that was reasonably cheap and very reliable. I've gotten to where non-standard calibers aren't a draw tho. 9mm and .45acp cover it for me, with 44mag thrown in when I want to aggravate my carpal tunnel

I would be getting 9mm first and then add in a 45ACP xchange kit so multiple calibers but not non-standard.

I'd rather have 2 guns with 9mm and .45, to be honest. The magazine characteristics are too different, so it's hard to handle both optimally.

i'd way rather have a P30 or P2000. i really love the classic Sigs, but the P250 just doesn't do much for me. weird feeling grip.

Hmm, good to know. I only handled one briefly in the shop and it felt fine to me. Maybe I like weird?

I'd rather have 2 guns with 9mm and .45, to be honest. The magazine characteristics are too different, so it's hard to handle both optimally.

Good point. I do believe the grips on the 45ACP are different so I would have two pairs of grips. Kind of moots the point.

My take on it at this point would be to just get 9mm unless you plan on going full gun nut.