NoValidTitle

The Head-Case gun thread

ruger 1022

Heh, that's funny, I just stumbled across that one in a search as well. Doesn't come with any sort of scope, so I'd have to either get one or use iron sights. It's certainly cheap though. About $200 in synthetic stock form.

I'm in love with the cost of .22 rimfire ammo. Not exotic, but damn if it isn't cheap for a day of plinking.

Another choice would be to ask at a shooting forum, of course.

Realistically, do you think you actually need a scope for range use? What distances are you talking about shooting at? Iron sites are significantly underrated.

Another choice would be to ask at a shooting forum, of course.

Realistically, do you think you actually need a scope for range use? What distances are you talking about shooting at? Iron sites are significantly underrated.

Shooting forum would of course make sense, but why make another account when there's HC and HF? ;)

The main reason I wanted to try a scope is just for something new. All my previous shooting experience has been with iron sights.

The realistic solution is probably to keep the plinker with iron sights, and get a Remington 700 in .223 or 308 and get some quality optics to go with it, but what can I say, I'm impatient.

I've got an olympic arms ar15 chambered in .45acp that's fun at pistol ranges...

Fun, but definitely pricey to shoot.

Although, the primary pistol I've been shooting at the range is the USP45. Heheh. I've been to 3 different ranges in two different states, and they all had the USP45.

I'm going to try to visit the Scottsdale Gun Club when I visit the in-Laws for Xmas.

All I want to shoot for Xmas is an MP5, an MP5, and MP5.

:)

.45 is fairly cheap to reload. Especially since it's the only caliber I really shoot.

Can anyone recommend a good, fun, reasonably priced beginner rifle for solely target practice? Can't get a handgun in NYS until I'm 21, but I still interested in getting one foot in this hobby. Preferably a more precision-oriented one, I may end up fitting a scope. Something like a Remington 597 (.22 rimfire) is cheap with cheap ammo and includes a scope, but I could budget for a bit more, and I'm not restricting myself to .22 caliber. Perhaps a Remington 700 of some caliber would be good too.

I'm not a total newb, I can handle a rifle, just never owned one.

The GSG-5 is a neat little H&K MP5 clone in .22LR.

GSG5, Semi Auto MP5, 22LR, Scaled Down Rifle, 22 Rd Mags

gsg_full.JPG

-Ed

.45 is fairly cheap to reload. Especially since it's the only caliber I really shoot.

LOL, true that, 9mm is kinda wimpy compared to .45ACP.

I'm quite used the bigger "bang" now.

-Ed

The GSG-5 is a neat little H&K MP5 clone in .22LR.

GSG5, Semi Auto MP5, 22LR, Scaled Down Rifle, 22 Rd Mags

-Ed

I'll be damned if I can get NY to deal with that thing, pistol grip and all.

Edit: Just did some looking up and looks like it's legal with the 10 round mag.

More edit: Holy crap, American Tactical Imports (which imports the GSG-5) is in Rochester, NY which happens to be where I currently am.

gsg5-review-3-sm.jpg

Also, less than 5lb? That's either awesome or terrible.

Oops. Double post. Won't let me edit. Weird.

And now that I think about it, 5lb seems reasonable. Not too light to be cheap feeling, and not too heavy to make it impossible to ship.

LOL, I lived in North Chili for a bit in a past life...

Nice, that's.... quite close.

Technically I'm in Henrietta, but just for college. Home is elsewhere.

Also, I mean't too heavy to hold properly for long periods. I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I typed ship.

I saw a comparison video on youtube comparing the GSG-5 to the H&K SP89. The GSG-5 is completely different internally, and looked like a real PITA to break down.

back when I shot regularly I had a friend with a .22 clone of a Thompson. THAT was a FUN little toy. Like 200 shots per minute. American 180 if I remember correctly. there was a YouTube video of a guy taking out a brick wall with one.

I saw a comparison video on youtube comparing the GSG-5 to the H&K SP89. The GSG-5 is completely different internally, and looked like a real PITA to break down.

I need a rifle though, since I can't get a handgun permit in NYS and I'm pretty sure that SP89 is registered only as a handgun.

I need a rifle though, since I can't get a handgun permit in NYS and I'm pretty sure that SP89 is registered only as a handgun.

Yeah, the SP89 is semi auto and does not have a stock, and is classified as a handgun. If you put a foregrip and/or stock on it, then it's classified as a Short Barrel Rifle.

I'd like to own an H&K P7 someday, but by the time I could convince my wife they'd be much harder to find and going for $2000+ by then. Sigh.

I'd have an easier time convincing her to accept the Kel-tec Sub 2000, but still she doesn't like anything that goes "bang" in the home.

The Kel-tec Sub 2000 would be easier to secure since it's lockable in folded form, and is small enough to fit into a smaller safe rather than a full sized gun safe.

-Ed

On a more serious note, here is my last Kel-Tec, which was a PLR-16 (5.56). I was having feeding malfunctions when using it with the suppressor, so I replaced it with a DPMS Panther AR-15 and Surefire 4-rail foregrip.

plr16dps.jpg

Since the photo I've upgraded the AR-15 with Eotech 512 holographic sight, wilson combat flip down rear sight, moved over the AAC M4-2000 suppressor, and registered it as an SBR so I can install an 11" barrel when I get around to it. That will make it more wieldy when the 5-6" long suppressor is attached. I also have a Ciener Arms .22LR conversion kit and extra mags for it, which I haven't tried yet. It's a lot of fun to shoot, but the next mod will be an upgraded trigger.

I'm thinking about it but I have some bills coming for my car, attorney and ticket. Maybe if the Pico Amp sells. He has been trying to sell since October so maybe I will offer him $300.

After using a really shitty hearing protector ear muff thingy at the last visit to the firing range, I'm going to buy my own. I'm going to double up with my old Westone ES3X's without the wires attached, as they make excellent custom ear plugs rather than IEM's, haha.

I'm thinking of this passive hearing protector, has a rating of 30dB noise reduction.

Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-03318 Leightning L3 Shooter's Premium Earmuff: Home Improvement

But eventually I'd like to pony up for an Electronic Tactical Hearing protector like this one. Seems to a great balance between overall noise reduction and amplifier sound quality. I'd still probably want to double up with ear plugs underneath, but the nice thing about active hearing protection is being able to crank up the volume if needed, but the loud stuff is attenuated automatically.

Amazon.com: Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector: Home Improvement

Would be nice to be able to hear everything around me with active attenuation of gun shots. Would also be very useful for shop work with power tools and such.

In fact some of them have an Aux 3.5mm input for piping in external sound like from a digital audio player. Although I'd sooner wear my JH13's underneath the ear cups.

I figured asking a bunch of gun happy audiophiles would be the best place to ask about Tactical Electronic Hearing Protectors at least. :)

-Ed

I wonder if one of those old Shure push-to-hear devices would work for that - I figure the gun shots would just overload the mic and you wouldn't get it too loud in the ears. Just plug in the ES3X cable and then the Shure device. With 26dB isolation the ES3X alone are probably enough protection, but you could still get more attenuation with earmuffs over them despite leakage around the cable.

The Peltor's are nice but every time I take them out the batteries are dead so I never use them. I typically do not like earmuffs and just use my custom earplugs so I do not have to compensate for the ear muffs when shooting rifles.