The Head-Case gun thread

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stretch, come visit me in Chicago, I have all the guns that have been discussed and they let you use large parts of the City as a shooting range with no repercussions. It is a great urban training sit

Took the new Sig Sauer P365, S&W Shield and the Glock 43 to the range to see which tiny carry pistol is the winner.  The Glock has aftermarket sights but is otherwise is stock. The Shield has

Sick of you bastards not doing the thing, so I had to do it. Sig Sauer P365 XL

Posted Images

A while back I sold off my 2 AK's and consolidated with several AR’s instead, one for each family member but put in a family trust, so we'd be able to focus on only one kind of rifle ammo to stock up on and one type of magazine for all of us to collect.

But there's only one full length AR and one short barrel AR rifle that we shoot, as the others have been safe queens to be handed out as the kids finish school and start their own homes and families.

The only glitch right now is that we can't find a lawyer in Colorado who knows how to add my 19 year old daughter to the trust with the new gun laws that passed last year. They say she needs a background check to join the gun trust, and it might need to be done for EVERY firearm in the trust; but the gun shops won't do the background check without an actual firearm sale or transfer which we aren't doing.

The local gun shops actually won't do background checks for private sales anymore, because the state won't let them charge more than $10 for the service, which used to cost $30-50 before the new laws, and the $10 max fee causes them to lose money. And if they agreed to do the check, they can't print out proof of the background check for the trust. They normally just record by hand the background check results on the 4473 form for whatever firearm they were selling, but there isn't a 4473 form in this case, and anyone could lie on a piece of paper saying it was done. Gun Trust Lawyer dot com failed me too (they suck).

I am not an authority on AKs at all.  I have always avoided them as I want something to spec with optics in most cases.  I will probably just get a custom AR in 308 or some other interesting big caliber, even though AKs are so cheap and reliable.

I remember watching that on vice and thinking about carving myself out an HK-416 from some sheet metal.

I am contemplating getting one of the laser targeting theater systems for inside practice.  Anyone tried those before?

Made it to the gun show for a bit today.  Did not see Dusty but the place was packed.  Bought another 1500 rounds of ammo but no guns today, maybe tomorrow.

Made it to the gun show for a bit today.  Did not see Dusty but the place was packed.  Bought another 1500 rounds of ammo but no guns today, maybe tomorrow.

I forgot -- spent most of the day passed out (trying to force myself onto a day schedule all week, and it caught up to me today).  Perhaps tomorrow.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm finally planning on getting my P227, this month. My mother also wants a gun.  She will be turning 72 this year, and has arthritis in her hands.  Our plan is to get concealed carry permits together.  I had originally thought that a .32 magnum revolver would be a good choice for her, but those are slim on the ground.  Kahr PM9 with standard pressure ammo?  She grew up in the south and has shot way more guns than I have, so I don't worry about her being able to work a pistol, but I am worried about her arthritis.  She almost got mugged this past week, and it would have happened, if her dog, Baxter the Wire Fox Terrier, hadn't decided to be an absolute badass 15 pound terrier, so this is a self defense solution.  My mother lives in a very high end condominium complex that is in a semi-gentrified neighborhood.  The non-gentrified part is pretty rough.  She hadn't had an issue that she couldn't bluff past, until last week.  She already carries pepper spray, but she ended up having issues with the safety on canister, due to her hands, which is why Baxter had to go defense-dog.  I think she'd have fewer issues with a double-action trigger.  At 72, and a pretty frail 72 at that, any situation where she thinks she needs any weapon is likely one in which she would be justified in using deadly force, if she doesn't have the dog with her.  

From what you've told us, I'd be concerned about whether she has the strength or lack of pain to rack the slide, and I'd recommend a Beretta with tip up barrel in those cases.  They have one in .380 that should be easy to manage with arthritis, but still stop someone's attack.  

The PM9 and MK9 can both be much harder to chamber a round than a pistol with an ambidextrous safety lever on the rear of the slide that offers a better grip when pulling back on the slide.  

My Kahr PM9 recoils more than the all steel MK9, and so when my neice got married I gave her my MK9 for a wedding present, since she only went shooting with her dad occasionally and she shot the heavier all metal pistols better than polymer ones. 

A revolver in 32 magnum seems optimal if not using a tip up barrel Beretta, as the .38 with std pressure rounds still kicks pretty hard unless you have an all steel 4" barrel model.

• 5 months later...

Didn't see the need to start a new thread.

I have never owned a handgun and shot one only once.  Literally learned what "can't hit the broad side of a barn" meant :).

However, I am interested in using a handgun for home defense.  Yes, I know a shotgun is more effective but ....   Unlike shotguns, not sure trying several models actually tells me anything because I have no experience but I will be trying several, probably in 9mm.

Need some help with a question.  At this point I'm not thinking of concealed carry, but on the other hand, up until recently I never had an interest in a handgun.  I have never felt threatened, not even in two road rage incidents.  Maybe I'm lucky.  Maybe I'm naïve.  Either way I see several of you conceal carry and if you care to share, interested in why you choose to?  May help me with my choice, i.e. Glock 19 or 17, M&P 9 or Shield, etc.

I've carried the 19 concealed but prefer the 26 and now the 43 with +2 magazines.  The 17 is probably too big for comfortable concealed carry but it is possible.  The 19 fits the dual purpose of a carry gun and home defense weapon.  If you end up carrying a lot you might find the two smaller guns better for carry.  M&P 9 and 9c are both good choices as well.  Shield is smaller than both and more akin to the 43.  Excellent carry gun as well.

I carry the M&P Bodyguard. I carry it holster-less with a belt clip. I wanted something that was comfortable and also relatively safe to carry with my kids around. For me that meant a safety and double action. Not much fits those requirements. The PPKS or Bersa are not bad but the Bodyguard was just way easier to carry.

For the house I have a 92FS with a crimson trace hand grip. I'm so use to carrying and shooting the Beretta it was a no brainier for me.