Collective Gear List?

The Monkey

The xls file is a good format. The "problem" would be having it hosted in a way that after any of us edits and adds/removes gear, the updated file is saved automatically in the same place. It'd be possible that two people updating the DB at the same moment, produced a file which won't keep the changes of both if the file once updated has to be actively uploaded.

What about having a Google Doc for it under a Head-Case user name with everyone (or possibly just everyone who wanted it) having the password? [email protected]? I'm sure it's available. It could always be stored/edited/saved there.

No way to make it to where someone couldn't just go in and change either someone else's gear or even change the password. Guess it depends on how much people here are trusted.

**BRENT**

This reeks of insanity to me. A) there's no way it would stay current, no one keeps their profile/sig current, why would they do any different with a spreadsheet? B) It'd be way to easy for someone to accidentally delete data they didn't intend to and render the whole thing null and void. Good idea, sure, but impossible to manage.

This reeks of insanity to me. A) there's no way it would stay current, no one keeps their profile/sig current, why would they do any different with a spreadsheet? B) It'd be way to easy for someone to accidentally delete data they didn't intend to and render the whole thing null and void. Good idea, sure, but impossible to manage.

A) true

B) there should be an "undo" option, no?

**BRENT**

Just for that, I am not going to put the Nugget Audio B22 in the supercool database for a full 2 weeks after it goes live. :P

it probably is easiest to do something where maybe 3 or 4 people agree to update it.

I pity anyone who volunteers themselves to this task.

It would be awesome if it were realistically manageable, but as others have already posted I really doubt that it can be done.

This sounds more like a wiki to me, rather than a multi-user document management problem. People shouldn't have the ability to change others' gear lists, unless specifically tasked to do so (Mike would need to delegate a secretary or something).

That said, I agree with Nate, I don't picture a solution to this problem.

Is there a (relatively easy) way to create a collective gear list? I know we have the individual profiles and sigs, but it would be boss if we had some sort of searchable index/db/whatever so we could more easily find people with certain pieces of gear.

Thoughts?

There is the option of googling for it, for instance entering

HD800 site:http://www.head-case.org/forums/members/

into the google box then pressing enter brings up a page for each member that has "HD800" mentioned in their profile page.

I think it would be a great idea. I was just involved with a pcb group buy on diyA where everyone update the google spreadsheet thingy themselves. It even has conditional's where if you mark your "paid" column "yes" the background color changes(probably nothing new to some of you fellas). No telling how many neato funtions are built in.