Fang's new orthos shipping

CarlSeibert

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, screw bringing any amplification. You're our SACD/hi-rez man. Nice collection, dude. Including the Goldfrapp.:D I didn't even know Hilary Hahn recorded the first Shostakovich concerto. It doesn't seem to get particularly good reviews, though, and I think there are better violinists overall.
Dude, Hilary Hahn is my favorite living violinist, don't be dissin'.

And synthpop sounds friggin' awesome on SACD. I just wish there was more.

Which ones should I bring?

HINT: "All of them" is not realistic. I'm thinking the three best: the Denon (my daily player), the Oppo blu-ray player, and the better of the two Pioneers.

Also, if you thought I meant actual SACD's, "all of them" is not realistic there either. If you have any particular ones that you want brought, tell me which ones. I'll bring Goldfrapp just because; some Depeche Mode; both the Talk Talk ones (just because they are a personal reference); probably as many of the RCA Living Stereo SACD's as I can fit, and a couple other favorites. Oh, and yes, some Hilary Hahn.

And no, Colin, I don't have Consign to Oblivion yet. I paid more than US$40 for the two Talk Talk ones, it's going to take me some time to build up the nerve to pay more than US$100 for one SACD. I will, I just haven't yet.

Also need to track down Dare (Human League).

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Again, they are decently balanced..but not th ebest balanced ortho I have heard. But at the pricepoint and considering the fit and finish, they do have a winner..especially at their introductory price.

I am curious to say the least as to where the LCD-2s will stand against these.

So is there a difference between the most balanced you've heard and the best you've heard? And I guess, what are they?

The LCD-1s that I originally had was really well balanced out of the box..but still not as nice as my wharfedale ID-1. THe HE-5 is more top heavy than any of the other orthos. They are actually brighter than the ESP950. The mids are also voiced more forward than usual.

This is not the case with the ID1 or the LCD1 which have a flat freq response for the most part. The ID1 does suffer from some resonance in the mid bass..around the 100-250 Hz region but to my ears at least it is not seen as a detriment.

However, let me do make it clear that the HE-5 is the best ortho I have heard thus far. It isn't a natural presentation, i would call it colored for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received NoNoNoNoNoNo's pair in the mail today. Out of the box, sounds great. From memory, I like them better than the HD650's and the A900Ti. More comfortable that both also. Even with my skinny head, the 650's can be tight at times and the closed nature of the A900Ti's make my ears warm after a while. Only minor annoyance is the cable rubbing against itself creates microphonics. Hopefully I'm using the term properly.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I'm a little frustrated, but let me know if this is unreasonable.

I noticed that there was a different number of washers on the left vs right side of my HE-5's and emailed Head Direct to see if they could tell me what they were so I could get some replacements. Here's what I'm talking about:

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

On one side, there are two sandwiching the pieces, and there's only one washer on the other side.

And this is Fang's reply:

Please understand that HE-5 earphones are handmade product so that there might be different amount rubber washers in different side. If you don't feel uncomfortable, it should be fine.
Yes I know it's being picky, but would it be so hard to tell me what they are? :(

You should email him again.

Here's my following email:

Can you at least tell me what size/spec they are so that I can make them even?

And his reply:

Please leave it as it is if you do not feel uncomfortable.

I'm very tempted to reply with "Yes, it does make me feel uncomfortable knowing it's not there." But I'm pretty sure that will get me nowhere.

I'm very tempted to reply with "Yes, it does make me feel uncomfortable knowing it's not there." But I'm pretty sure that will get me nowhere.

I'd go for it personally, the two replies he sent you are not acceptable. Might be just a detail, but I know I'd be annoyed too if I had noticed it.

hm, tiny little rubber rings........................ maybe his wife knows?

Makes me wonder where the rest of the headphone has been.:eek:

I'm with everyone else, you should get this resolved and his responses have been lame. It looks like it's there to keep the two metal pieces from scraping against each other so it's not just aesthetic.