MacBook Pro: Problems Importing CDs

Been thinking about going back to a computer based system (been looking at DACs :palm:) but my only hesitation is that my MacBook won't read some of my CDs. Drive reads 99% of my CD collection, 100% of my DVDs and it's not random either, meaning it won't read the same CDs.

Here are a couple it won't read:

Radiohead - In Rainbows (from box set)

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia

Any thoughts? I guess I could get an external drive :palm:

symptom? does it chew on them and never spit them out?

No, CD will spin up and down, up and down and then just get spit out

Have you tried burning them to CD/DVD and then trying to read the copy?

I have not. I'll try importing them on my wife's computer and then burning a copy. You thinking is could be an issue with the MacBook readin the TOC?

I have been having the same problem with my Macbook Pro. For example, it wouldn't read the "Rodrigo y Gabriela 11:11" cd but it would read the dvd that came with it. I have a 3 year warranty (it is about 1 1/2 years old). Should I take it to the Apple store? I really hate going there and would hate to be without my laptop for a day, but if it could fix the problem, it may be worth it.

My Macbook Pro started doing that soon after it fell out of warranty and it just kept getting worse over time. I can still get it to read the occasional disc, but it just spits the majority of them back out now. I don't really care too much as I only ever use it for installing operating systems. It's one of those Matshushita drives.

• 2 months later...

I bought an external drive so I don't put wear and tear on the internal one. MacFixit should probably have instructions on how to replace it for those of you who want to do it yourselves. I upgraded my hard drive from a 160 gig to 320 gig.

Probably a stupid question but are your cds clean? No fingerprints?

Sounds weird, but sometimes I have luck with different apps trying to read the disk. Sure there are some OS level issues (not to mention hardware ones), but depending on your settings in preferences for CD/DVD media (may want to test different actions - including turning all off), having Toast launched prior to inserting CDs sometimes loads problematic discs versus automatically having iTunes (or possibly other OS defaults) do their work. Almost like it grabs the disc before something else goes wrong.

The drive was definitely my problem. The new one is a lot quieter. I was importing a Liam Finn disc two days ago and thought the drive had literally eaten the CD. It spun up really fast and then just stopped, like the spindle locked up. The sound it made was awful. I immediately ordered a replacement.