Mac Mini as Music Server

VPI

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around March I tried a Mac Mini in the bedroom as music server instead of the iMac in the kitchen, and to replace my Apple TV. I hooked it to my 26" Panasonic HDTV, BT keyboard and mouse, and my 1Tb external iTunes drive. That let me move the 40Gb Apple TV to the home theater. It didn't work so well making the move, since I had been using the iMac for Music server for a few years (upgraded once but cloned the old one) and had things set up just right. If it aint broken, don't fix it.

One problem was that From 10 feet away I couldn't read the text on the 26" screen, and I didn't need the whole 600Gb music and video library to be available in Front Row. I liked how I could sync only what I wanted to the ATV. I also had issues because I used migration assistant to make it like my MacBook Pro and both computer names were the same and it screwed up MobileMe sync. Also some software either has licenses for 1, 3 or 5 copies of the software, but this was Mac #6 on the network. I had to remove office 2008, and change computer IP addresses in my router so that some online music servers would work again.

I also had to make changes in iTunes and on the Apple TV so I could use my Apple TV and a couple of Airport Express with the new Mini, which resulted in my ATV being wiped clean and re-sync'd - even though the Library and Ext drive were the same (because the computer was different). The external drive would spin up often and bug me when I wanted quiet in the bedroom, and in the end it was just a pain to replace the ATV with a mini. Plus, six Macs in the house was plain silly.

Since I actually liked the Apple TV interface in the bedroom more, I returned the Mini during the two week return period and got the 160Gb ATV. Because I exchanged it for the Apple TV, the store didn't even charge me the re-stocking fee. So, I left iTunes running on the iMac in the kitchen, and it feeds both ATV's and Airport Express's for music around the house, and I can access my music from any computer in the house or over the web via dottunes, and I like the way it works.

This old dog wasn't ready for new tricks. If I had to do it again, and it was really just going to be a music server and media center, I would NOT have cloned one of the computers I use. My OCD made me do that, so it could be a backup. I could have just used my backup hard drive to boot up the mini if something happened to my main computer.

I would have also set it up on a bigger TV, like in the theater, and left the ATV in my bedroom. To keep the kids from accessing the entire library and stuff they aren't allow to see or hear, I could have been logged in under my name and turned on parental controls, and then set up iTunes sharing to only share certain playlists that I make for them. Then the kids could log in at the same time and open iTunes, and then load the shared iTunes library and photos with Front Row or Finder on the 60" screen. Replacing the Samsung DVD/SACD with the Mini would free up the Samsung to be modded and moved to my headphone rig. But, I still don't want 6 Macs in the house.

CIMG2474.JPG

Nice pics, especially the above, and welcome to Head-Case. I'm another Mac Mini/Amarra user and agree that it can be the heart of an incredible digital system. Let us know how the 8GB upgrade works out because my 2009 Mini will be in for more than the current 4GB if it is as worthwhile as that article suggests.

Read your welcome PM and try to abide by its suggestions and you will enjoy it here.

Cheers.

The Mini with Amarra has been the 100% source in my system since I bought it.

I think I need to play some vinyl/SACD today just to get the exercise. Controlling thousands of songs using my Touch as a remote is just too easy.