ipod speakers

boomana

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, I know about those, Brent, but can't see spending $500 on stands right now for speakers I don't even like that much. I will investigate raising them up off my desk a bit more, but I'm thinking that I'll just live with them as is until I can research some better options and save some money up to get what will please me for a long time.

I'm stumped by your reluctance to do a couple of simple changes like raising them more and adding some sound absorbing materials to the inside of the "reverberant desk cave" where they reside.

The "Bass Reducer" EQ on the iPod also works well with the A2 (and I mentioned a couple of other EQ that help the bass too).

Don't give up so easily.

I know you know bout those, V... I just think there's not going to be anything you like. I think you're gonna have to get a tiny amp and mount it under the desk out of sight and get something like the Epos M5. That MAY be an OK size for the desk. If you remember, they're the speakers Fitz brought to DJ.

Or, if you wanted to do the amp/small speakers thing I have some old KLH 911B speakers that I bought years ago, let a friend borrow, and just got back. They were a good "bang for buck" speaker. 4 inches higher/2 wider than those A2s, not as pretty, though. A small amp hidden under the desk and it wouldn't look like you had anything there.

You said you can't do anything like a mini/micro shelf system, right? I remember Denon put one out a few years back that used small Mission speakers that were very highly thought of.

@HPA, I don't think she's reluctant to raising them, I think she just hasn't gotten around to do it yet. I also don't think there is anything she's going to be happy with with her constraints, either.

**BRENT**

I'm stumped by your reluctance to do a couple of simple changes like raising them more and adding some sound absorbing materials to the inside of the "reverberant desk cave" where they reside.

Seems to me I'd just said that I was going to investigate raising them :confused: I'm just not willing to spend $500 doing that as I'd rather spend that money getting better speakers. Adding absorbing materials may tame the mid bass, but it won't change the other things that bug me, so again, although they're not bad speakers, and better than the one-box solutions I'd listened to, they annoy me, so I'm just going to look for something I like rather than piddle around with something I don't.

I think Vicki is just going to take the "Duggeh" approach and get a stack of books to raise the speakers. Maybe she'll find a good height, and she can just take some black (or leopard print) fabric and cover the books, and BAM, stealthy/free speaker stands that will do the trick until she gets something she's gonna be happy with.

**BRENT**

I think Vicki is just going to take the "Duggeh" approach and get a stack of books to raise the speakers. Maybe she'll find a good height, and she can just take some black (or leopard print) fabric and cover the books, and BAM, stealthy/free speaker stands that will do the trick until she gets something she's gonna be happy with.

**BRENT**

That's exactly what I was going to do, just to try things out, except I hadn't gotten so far as to think about covering with fabric. Thanks, Brent.

Everyone knows Brent has a girly side :)

Nothing wrong with that...

Leopard print? You're a wild man.

PS Reams of paper work, too, that's what I use. It's basically solid wood with most of the resonances taken out of it.

I thought about that, but unless she can get a ream of 6x4 paper I DOUBT she would want to go that route. She COULD take the paper and cut it in half horizontally and stack until desired height was attained, though I see that as being a little less stable than bound books. Not to mention she probably has a ton of books laying around the house and would not have to take an extra trip to go out for paper.

But wouldn't she have to go out to get leopard print silk fabric? Why not pick up the paper there?

Heh... you KNOW she's got a stash of that layin' around... no need to go out.

He's an avid Christopher Lowell devotee.

chrislowell.jpg

:cool:

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

To change the direction completely, I just got an email from buy.com with 50% off the Chestnut Hill George in it.... I like the remote on it, good stuff for us lazy folk.

I've read good things about it, but I'd really need to hear anything at this point before spending money. That was one I was trying to hear when I went out looking as I heard some Best Buys have or used to carry it, but not mine.

Anyway, I tried books today, first a small stack then a tall stack then a medium stack. I also tired different angles, and the upshot of all this fiddling is that they basically they sound pretty much the same. I have a better attitude about them today. For small speakers a couple feet in front of me with an ipod source, they sound okay. I'll just take a few months, save up some money, do some real research and get something later. Maybe it's a good thing. If I liked them better, I might be paying too much attention to music instead of working. They do solve the problem of having to listen to the annoying hallway music, which was the whole point in the first place.

Anyway, for those who think my desktop was rather neat, here's a pic of what it really looks like:

boomana-albums-boomana-s-pics-picture1078-photo.jpg

Though the selection of random stuff changes from day to day, it's pretty much filled with papers and mess. Oh, and the speakers are back in their original stands.