The analog thread.

Hopstretch

So i went to the record store to day and picked up 5 albums for like $30, one of them was a Japanese pressing of Steve Miller Band and mint.

Can't beat the value in good used vinyl!!

Not sure where to go now with the rig. Added my first fiberglass sound absorbing panels at the first reflection points, and it was subtle but noticable improvement. The rig sounds really good.

Maybe build me another tonearm cable but this time with UPOCC copper instead of UPOCC silver?

So i went to the record store to day and picked up 5 albums for like $30, one of them was a Japanese pressing of Steve Miller Band and mint.

Can't beat the value in good used vinyl!!

Not sure where to go now with the rig. Added my first fiberglass sound absorbing panels at the first reflection points, and it was subtle but noticable improvement. The rig sounds really good.

Maybe build me another tonearm cable but this time with UPOCC copper instead of UPOCC silver?

It's absurd how much cheap classical I can get that is in really great shape. It is much harder with jazz and rock (especially obscure psychedelic and krautrock). But still not entirely unreasonable if you know where to look online.

As posted in the "Last thing you bought" thread, I picked up a Dual 505-2 today from Staurday Audio in Chicago. I wanted to start out on a budget, but wanted some confidence in what I was buying. This TT looked very clean and they had given it a very good going over. Warranteed for 90 days. They recommended an Ortofon 2M cart, either the Red or Blue. Staying in line with the budget I went with the Red. While setting it up they noticed an issue with a bad connection in one of the wires and fixed it while we went for lunch.

Got it home and set it up. I have a very few old LP's and I bought two in good shape at Saturday - Aqualung and Sticky Fingers. Started listening and Jesus, I'm hooked. The turntable sounds very good, and the dynamic range in the albums just kept me grinning all afternoon and evening. I did some comparisons between the Aqualung LP and the 25th Anniversary CD I have and it is not even close. And my CDP is no slouch.

I know now that this will be a first step and that better turntables will be in my future. But it sure feels good to handle LP's again and delight in the sound this format provides. I just really can't stop grinning.

The new toy:

Dual.jpg

Yeah, so, turntables are definitely best set up stone cold sober. :palm:

Got the cart aligned much better today and the surface noise is now even across the record (and substantially diminished overall).

And that probably should go for operation, too...but other than the risk factor, vinyl and mild to moderate inebriation go together SO WELL :(

I was "mild to moderately" inebriated 2 weeks ago when I lifted up my Kontrapunkt c from an end groove and accidentally plunked it right into the label area. Labels don't sound good - in fact it's a rather horrid screeching static. Fortunately, no damage was done and all is primed for a nice time tonight (and into morning) - I'll make sure to really focus whenever a lifting/dropping of the needle is involved :)

I've been partial to my Metallica and Iron Maiden 45's this week. Hard week at work, and all...

I know now that this will be a first step and that better turntables will be in my future. But it sure feels good to handle LP's again and delight in the sound this format provides. I just really can't stop grinning.

The new toy:

Dual.jpg

:prettyprincess::prettyprincess::prettyprincess:

Speaking of upgrades, anyone want to venture a rule of thumb for relative importance of the various components in the analog chain?

It's absurd how much cheap classical I can get that is in really great shape. It is much harder with jazz and rock (especially obscure psychedelic and krautrock). But still not entirely unreasonable if you know where to look online.

It is amazing. I felt funny being bothered by the fact that goodwill and the like went from $1 to $2 per record. That's DOUBLE - what a rip off :P - It is laughable how cheap they are considering that many of the LPs I picked up are among the best sounding that I have - even bettering many of the $30-50 high end pressings.

Speaking of upgrades, anyone want to venture a rule of thumb for relative importance of the various components in the analog chain?

Weakest component == most important.

No, seriously, the cartridge/phono pre are probably the most important, because you're starting out with such a low voltage, that it's very easy to introduce (and amplify) non-signal-related noise into the sound.

The table is pretty big to a point then it appears there is a diminishing return.

While it it tough to generalize the three basic types of tables Belt, Direct and Idler each have a different sound.

I love idler tables but they should be owned by those that also love MGB's as you need to be your own mechanic. The ones I have heard were fine examples at shows and had an immediacy not matched with either belt or direct drives. I have no idea why but they seem to emote better.

So table probably 50% or better until you get to a minimum quality level. Unfortunately quality is all over the map from a price perspective. Once you've got a decent deck then the arm is big again up to a point.

If you've got a good table and arm within a range of quality then it is all about cart and preamp. Cart and table/arm matching is a bit of an art and to me this is where a good local dealer can be worth buying from. Better to buy right at list than go through a series of carts trying to find the right one.

I'd put the pre and cart about equal but there are bargains out there, I heard an AT cart at Ironbut's house that sounded fantastic. Probably a $300 cart but his system is pretty carefully matched and has the CAT SLI pre amp.

All this rambling has led me to becoming a fan of upper mid direct drive tables one or two shy of a manufacturer TOTL statement pieces. Unmatched bang for the buck and the Japanese in the late 70s to early 80s were evil geniuses they had some of the best engineers coupled with massive R&D cash and a desire to clean the US audio industries clock. Only the sneaky fucking Lin LP12 marketing campaign and the advent of their own cd technology did these tables in.

So Stretch to answer your question table and arm first no amount of cart and pre can overcome crap isolation, rumble or wow and flutter. After a stable table/arm is purchased them it drops to 15-20 percent tops. Then the cart and pre are most likely cart 50% and pre 30 ish.

I really like the look of this. New Fosgate Signature phono.

P9060014-Fnal-forapproval9-16-09_000.jpg

Fosgate-450.jpg

Jim Fosgate is an interesting guy and he's apparently been building phono stages and other neat vinyl goodies for himself for decades. Tweakers rejoice!

Jim Fosgate has applied his extensive engineering knowledge to designing an affordable meter to adjust cartridge azimuth (Axial Tilt). The Fozgometer (approximately $200) uses operating principles similar to surround processor logic steering circuits, is simple to use, and reads channel separation and channel balance as well as signal direction. This unit is battery operated.

I don't have as much experience as others in this thread, but cartridge rolling has made really big differences in sound. Bigger (different) between brands, but I've heard pretty big jumps moving up in the same line. Koetsu Black to Onyx comes to mind as one of them; both carts broken in.

I would rank a good cleaning machine very highly, amongst "tweaks", almost to the point of necessity (a cleaning "something" would be necessity -- machine just makes it easy).

It's essential to me. And the vacuum method is the only thing that I've tried that works sufficiently.