The analog thread.

Hopstretch

I just finished reading the Agon steam cleaning thread and thought I might try that. A HeadCase search had jp# recommending it. jp, do you still use this method?

for used records that were not previously owned by someone with a cleaner the steam clean method is really helpful in getting out the last layer of crap in the groove.

I would not use this method on new or rare records as I have not cleaned on that did not water damage the label slightly.

I'm getting pretty bad cold weather induced static problems that I've got to sort out. Maybe a humidifier?

VPI all the way, while in theory the nitty gritty avoids the clean side resting on the cork platter when you are cleaning it by having no platter. I find this to add a large degree of clunkiness and I never felt comfortable with mine.

Between these choices, I might choose the VPI... but the upper-end NG I think are nicer than the VPI RCMs. I have a 2.5FI and have compared with the various VPI and I think it does a much better job.. Not all that scientific of tests, but cleaning a record with a VPI, playing it, then cleaning with the NG, then playing it :)

Marc, it looks to me like the main difference between the 1.5 and 2.5 is automatic fluid dispensing? (The FI adds a second reservoir as well.) I've heard some folks complain that the auto NG's are too liberal with the liquid and that they actually prefer to do that bit themselves. How do you find it?

OK, laugh if you want to, but would a pressure washer with the least aggressive nossel work?

Anyone try it?

George Merrill sells this type of cleaner on audiogon. It works really well from a cleaning perspective but the mess it creates leaves your kitchen looking like you had a super soaker fight.

Well I guess I should clarify. I was thinking that a cheap throw away table could be used, so that the record could be held in place. I think a large record clamp would be beneficial as well, and you'd need to cover the label well. And do it outside.

Of coarse I'm just talking about a first time cleaning for those really soiled records you find at garage sales and the like. After the initial cleaning they could be maintained with a more common method.

I wouldn't try that :)

Of coarse you'd want to use a cheap $2.00 find for initial testing, but having used pressure washers a lot, I think it would work.

George Merrill sells this type of cleaner on audiogon. It works really well from a cleaning perspective but the mess it creates leaves your kitchen looking like you had a super soaker fight.

i bought and returned this product. it worked, but i couldn't justify keeping something that i could purchase all the bits and pieces at home depot for something like twenty bucks and he is charging, what, $150 for it. plus, as john noted it is a seriously wet and wild water project of a bitch to use.

Hot Damn, I just swapped carts from the Dyna 17D3 to the ZYX Fuji SB, while I really like the dyna the zyx is outstanding. I gotta hunt down a used airy cart. This is super silly having a $1400 cart on a $200-$350 used table.

Why? For some time I had a VdH The Frog mounted on a Project. I don't think a good cart really "needs" an expensive TT to shine. A better table will provide some benefits, but good tables don't need to be expensive IMHO. TT is the simplest part of the vinyl playing equation.

Nice, JP. What's wrong with using a good cart on a solid TT? If the foundation for good sound is there -- which your tests seemed to prove against a much more expensive TT -- then go ahead and kick it up a notch! I wouldn't go nuts with a super expensive cart because you would likely be leaving a lot on the table, but I bet that's a really nice improvement.

I have to figure out what to do on my cart situation. I think I will get another arm for the Aries and set up the Skala vs. Koetsu test first, then maybe kick it up a notch meself. :)

Hot Damn, I just swapped carts from the Dyna 17D3 to the ZYX Fuji SB, while I really like the dyna the zyx is outstanding. I gotta hunt down a used airy cart. This is super silly having a $1400 cart on a $200-$350 used table.

Could be worse, a local audio dealer put a VdH Colibri on a Project Debut just to see what would happen. It turned out to be shockingly good, obviously the 'table was holding it back but it wasn't as silly as it sounds since the qualities of the cartridge still came through.

More on topic, if the used 'table was the one that you used to make those comparisons against the Galibier, I don't see anything wrong with sticking a top of the line cartridge on it. It may be a $300 'table but it sure doesn't sound like one.

Any love for Benz here? I have a rather played-out older Ace that came with the table and was thinking about trading it in. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether it's worth moving modestly up the line (Glider or Wood) or just getting a new Ace S.

Edited by Hopstretch

Glad to hear that. I really wasn't sure when dropping late the other night but just listened myself this morning and thought it was pretty darn good. I was pissed by the number of ticks and such, but it was freshly cleaned and even thrice cleaned in the case of Theme for Lester Young that has glitches early and in the middle. RTI strikes again, I guess.

Edited by Voltron

I actually have an Ace, which I haven't yet mounted. But people around here seem to love 'em.

A record cleaning machine like that Brazilian one is a very do-able DIY. I built mine when I lived in a little apartment (no shop, but I had a darkroom!) It uses a Rat Shack project box as the case and has the vacuum lips underneath the record, a la Nitty Gritty. (I sized it to use Nitty Gritty replacement felts.) Maybe $30~50 in parts at today's prices.

If I was to do it again, I'd do the vacuum wand on top and use a Pelican case. A gearmotor to turn the record might be a nice touch, too.

Anything in the Pelican line can be bought very reasonably from GMPCS, the satellite phone outfit, BTW.

Any love for Benz here? I have a rather played-out older Ace that came with the table and was thinking about trading it in. Opinions seem to be divided as to whether it's worth moving modestly up the line (Glider or Wood) or just getting a new Ace S.

Stretch I hate you!!! Your post led me to a search that led me to the agon ad for a Virtuoso that was retipped by the soundsmith with ruby cant and nude contact line stylus. It may not work with my set up based on the input impedance of the Sonic Studio. At $295 it seemed like a no brainer since the retip was $250.

Just borrowed a test record with some 1khz tones to set azimuth electronically. Finally I can lay down azimuth settings in peace. To hell with the mirror and magnifying glass!

Now where is my multimeter...I know its in the garage somewhere. Now that Clearaudio Accurate as no where to hide! hahahaahaa

Just borrowed a test record with some 1khz tones to set azimuth electronically. Finally I can lay down azimuth settings in peace. To hell with the mirror and magnifying glass!

Now where is my multimeter...I know its in the garage somewhere. Now that Clearaudio Accurate as no where to hide! hahahaahaa

hey, did we ever settle up on those long RCA cables? I cannot remember :)