The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Got your message before Larry, I second all said about the Bellari. Noisy, flat, uninvolving, lame.

The Pearl is the real deal, though. You'll definitely notice a difference there.

Tyler, with the NAD C555 TT and Ortofon Blue 2M cart that I got from you, I assume that you believe it would scale up with the Pearl? Or would the TT/cart still be a weak link in the chain?

I believe I would go for the Pearl if I find an easy buyer for my Grado RS-1 with 6-foot APS V3 cable (super nylon sleeve, 1/8" plug with solid 1/4" adapter). Another option that I was considering is the CI Audio VPP-1, and then the VAC-1 PSU later as an upgrade. I might be able to do the first part of the 2 pieces without selling the RS-1, but I'm not really using the RS-1 now, so...

I'm sure there is someone that is interested in a Grado RS-1 with 6-foot APS V3 cable (super nylon sleeve, 1/8" plug with solid 1/4" adapter).

I'm haunted by the replinthed Garrard 301/Triplanar/EMT cart that I heard this weekend, just incredible.

Edited by deepak

I believe I would go for the Pearl if I find an easy buyer for my Grado RS-1 with 6-foot APS V3 cable (super nylon sleeve, 1/8" plug with solid 1/4" adapter). Another option that I was considering is the CI Audio VPP-1, and then the VAC-1 PSU later as an upgrade. .

I had the CIAudio VPP1/VAC1 and the Pearl killed it.

Tyler, with the NAD C555 TT and Ortofon Blue 2M cart that I got from you, I assume that you believe it would scale up with the Pearl? Or would the TT/cart still be a weak link in the chain

It would definitely scale up with the Pearl, and if you wanted to upgrade further I think you'd want something of that caliber to really notice differences.

Also, I forgot to give you my wet cleaning solution to use with the D4 brush. It's the Library of Congress solution, made with Federally controlled solvents courtesy of my wife. Totally safe (unless you use it to make meth), and totally unobtainable. Lemme dig around a bit and find it, and we'll do lunch some time to trade off.

I'm haunted by the replinthed Garrard 301/Triplanar/EMT cart that I heard this weekend, just incredible.

each time I have heard a well done idler set up I have been stunned at the "you are there" quality of the sound coming off the record. Couple and idler with a well designed horn set up and it is goose bump city

It would definitely scale up with the Pearl, and if you wanted to upgrade further I think you'd want something of that caliber to really notice differences.

Also, I forgot to give you my wet cleaning solution to use with the D4 brush. It's the Library of Congress solution, made with Federally controlled solvents courtesy of my wife. Totally safe (unless you use it to make meth), and totally unobtainable. Lemme dig around a bit and find it, and we'll do lunch some time to trade off.

Sounds good - I posted my RS-1 for sale on H-F to raise the funds for the Pearl, and will post them here with a H-C price tonight.

I could use some cleaning solution sans meth for sure.

How do you fuck up almost every single major component of a relatively new turntable all at once? :confused:

AudiogoN ForSale: Clearaudio performance

CLEARAUDIO PERFORMANCE TURNTABE NEEDS WORK COMES WITH SATISFY TONEARM THAT NEEDS REWIRE AND BEARING REPAIRED,THE PLATTER BEARING CERAMIC BEARING NEEDS REPLACING,THE VIRTUOSO CARTRIDGE ALSO INCLUDED NEEDS RETIP.THE MOTOR WORKS FINE NEEDS PULLY.THE TOTAL COST OF THIS SETUP IS ALMOST $4000.IF YOU ARE ABLE TO SOURCE PARTS AND REPAIR YOURSELF IT IS A STEAL.SOLD AS IS NO RETURNS.

How do you fuck up almost every single major component of a relatively new turntable all at once? :confused:

Drop something heavy on it. Done. Im amazed the actual arm tube isn't broken though.

Shit, I should buy it just for the motor and stick into my Clearaudio.

Uh...why would it need a pully? And on which side would the pully be?

The pulley belongs on the top of the motor shaft. You can see the pulley-less motor in the back left (opposite tonearm) corner of the TT. The motor needs a pulley to hold the belt/rubber band/thread/whatever and set the right speed for the platter. getting the wrong sized pulley for your motor & platter sucks.

My money says that any impact that would break a plastic pulley would damage the motor shaft, and you can get motors FAR FAR FAR less than $600. Like my Teres motor, which you should buy even though I have no idea how to mount it to a clearaudio TT. There are a couple Chinese add-on motors that also come in FAR less than $600, and are universal although require that speed be set manually.

after functioning fine for a day or two the motor belt is acting up I am taking down to my local TT guy for an arm transport refresh one my replacement belts come in. The few LPs I played sounded as good as or better than the ps-x555.

I also picked up a Denon DL-S1 the other day as well, really nice I may pick up a spare if one comes around on the cheap.