The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Ooops, I thought mine was just average and returned it after 3 weeks. Maybe I didn't burn-it in enough. :P

I figure it's gonna be 4-6 weeks before I can afford that Pass Pearl unless my sale of the Single Power Square Wave XL goes through sooner, dammit. I have a buyer lined up who is waiting on a refund for something before he can send me the money.

And maybe you decide what you like based on what you read and not what you hear? Or arbitrarily decide. Or have new gear syndrome. Maybe you should stop writing about minute details heard or not, and just enjoy the music, and not worry about the gear so much.

So here's a vinyl noob question of note -- why are some records so much noisier than others? This morning I listened to a couple of mid-80s LPs that had clearly been knocked about a bit in their lives, but after cleaning were very quiet and generally pleasureable to hear. Then I put on a brand-new "special edition" 180g release that supposedly got the kid glove treatment in both production and pressing, yet it's like the needle's tracking over sandpaper. The surface noise is so high it's pretty much unlistenable. :(

So here's a vinyl noob question of note -- why are some records so much noisier than others? This morning I listened to a couple of mid-80s LPs that had clearly been knocked about a bit in their lives, but after cleaning were very quiet and generally pleasureable to hear. Then I put on a brand-new "special edition" 180g release that supposedly got the kid glove treatment in both production and pressing, yet it's like the needle's tracking over sandpaper. The surface noise is so high it's pretty much unlistenable. :(

SH Forums - View Single Post - Has vinyl always had surface noise on new records ?

Getting a 1/4" thick acrylic cover for the new TT, with finger-lift cutouts as well as rear cutouts, for $200 shipped.

Best deal I could find online, especially given the dimensions:

(Inside cover measurements)

Length: 24.25"

Width: 20.50"

Height: 10.00"

Vendor: Acrylic Lucite display cases, turntable covers, dust covers, protective lids, plastic boxes.

No base, as an acrylic base would be much too expensive, plus, I want the base to be of another material.

And maybe you decide what you like based on what you read and not what you hear? Or arbitrarily decide. Or have new gear syndrome. Maybe you should stop writing about minute details heard or not, and just enjoy the music, and not worry about the gear so much.

I don't think so. I simply spent my time listening to the NAD C555/NAD PP2/Ortofon Blue and it didn't sound much better than my $69 GEMsound PL-USB that I have as an AD converter. This was sometime right before or after Thanksgiving. Most of my vinyl is old 70's and 80's albums, and most didn't sound as good as the same album on CD (without EQ). Usually the problem with both phono preamps was in the bass where it didn't seem to have any deep extension and was more upper bass than low/mid bass. It was like listening to a high-end stereo with 4" full range speakers in a small box.

The problem may have been with how my TT/cart is set up, as someone suggested elsewhere where they felt the TT and cart I am using could sound good with the right preamp. Sherwood says he had a a knowledgeable person set up the TT for him before I got it. I guess that if I want to enjoy the music and not worry about the gear so much, then maybe I'm better off sticking with the DVD Audio and CD, or hi-res downloads that I enjoy immensely.

Thanks for the help.

Serious answer: the most likely answer is that mold-proof stuff they put on most new vinyl to protect it -- it probably hasn't been cleaned off yet. I forget what the name of it is. You need a good wet cleaner to get it off. (This is briefly alluded to in the post that 909 linked to, which is what made me remember the answer. I didn't think of it at all when I posted my joke answer.)

So after talking to Dan Wright my broken SWLP9.0 SE Signature has to go back.

After some more discussion, I'm not getting it back, but rather this

hero_open1.jpg

The LS 36.5 tube linestage :)

Of course this now leaves me with no phono stage....except the NAD PP2 loaner from my buddy.

Need to contemplate what I will get for a phono, probably around $2k price range, used or new.

So after talking to Dan Wright my broken SWLP9.0 SE Signature has to go back.

After some more discussion, I'm not getting it back, but rather this

hero_open1.jpg

The LS 36.5 tube linestage :)

Of course this now leaves me with no phono stage....except the NAD PP2 loaner from my buddy.

Need to contemplate what I will get for a phono, probably around $2k price range, used or new.

Pass xono?

So I am thinking about replacing the 7 year old Dynavector DV-20 on my bedroom Turntable.

It has been so long since I bought a cartridge I am not even sure I remember how to mount one but I guess I will have to try.

Anyone with a VPI or with more knowledge than I about matching cartridge to tonearm have any recommendations? Probably $2k or less.

VPI Scoutmaster>Acoustech PHD phono preamp.