The analog thread.

Hopstretch

It is easily the best stage I have heard in it's price class and above, you'd have to go to a Doshi, CAT, TOTL Herron to best it. Considering the parts in it and the cost it is also a pretty great deal considering most places sell cinemag SUTs for 350 and they are included as part of the MC stage at $1200.

Ultimately I'd like to see it mixed with some MDF, but the Baltic Birch that is made of is a very stable product. It's probably a pretty good plinth. If you do find you get some resonance, you could always drill some holes in the bottom and put some lead shot in, like I did with the Colossus. Most likely it won't be necessary. The veneer is HOT! And that price is insanely cheap. I'm sure the veneer was near that alone.

Edited by swt61

Yeah I imagine he is making some money off shipping. But speaking to the Lenco Heaven guys most places in the US would be at least $500++ plus shipping.

Thanks for the feedback Steve, means a lot coming from you. I like the Jean Nantais style veneer as well.

Thoughts on plywood as an L75 plinth? I might finally be able to get this project off the ground

plinth lenco l70,l75 - eBay (item 200459028877 end time May-07-10 12:54:57 PDT)

I think it's nice, but to really get the most out of the L75 you need to replace the top, not just replinth. That being said, I'm sure it will be an upgrade and allow you to use another arm, which is rather nice.

I think it's nice, but to really get the most out of the L75 you need to replace the top, not just replinth. That being said, I'm sure it will be an upgrade and allow you to use another arm, which is rather nice.

After doing more reading I think I would go about replacing the top plate as well with a PTP or something. The whole thing is still well beyond my skill level so I'll leave it be for now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pleased to say I can run the .37 mv (what my particular DL-103 measured at according to the spec sheet) DL-103 with the Pearl without a SUT. For the quietest records I'm at 3 o'clock on the Blue Hawaii's steppers and for the loudest records at 12 o'clock (6 o'clock is mute). Everything is dead silent.

I did some brief listening tests with crude volume matching with and without SUT and I prefer the transparency without the Cinemag SUT. Though I will have to put it back in when I integrate the vinyl setup with the speakers, which uses a passive transformer preamp.

aaarrgghh

well I have a few carts and NONE really totally float my boat.

Denon 103 FL, great tone but not as detailed as I'd like

Denon DL-S1 another great cart from Denon detail and soundstage a plenty but maybe not the last word in tone and bass slam

Sumiko Talisman S, fairly legendary cart, that I think has seen better days. It is bright in my system but I am considering a soundsmith retip/cantilever so see what that brings

almost bought an Jan Alaertes cart this morning but I am gun shy as it is being represented as NOS but was built in 2003. The web take is great cart but the very fine coils could be melted extremely easily if your pre amp does anything weird. Last week I almost bought a ZYX Atmos but Mehran from Sora Sound. He would only extend the higher of his prices to me so in the end I passed( I am not a higher end client with him)

I really liked the Dynas I had but I may be romancing the memory of the 20-xh I had and the 17d3 was great but a pita to set up on my previous table. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

I finally got a chance to hear a couple of the Tape Project tapes on a Studor machine and the only way I can describe it is "holy crap! This is fucking awesome!" I've heard a fair number of good sources and recordings over the years but this was something else, it was like my first hi-fi experience all over again where I'm just sitting there with a silly grin on my face going "damn...damn that's good!"

I honestly think everyone needs to experience one of these tapes at some point just to get an idea of how good a hi-fi system can really sound.

I finally got a chance to hear a couple of the Tape Project tapes on a Studor machine and the only way I can describe it is "holy crap! This is fucking awesome!" I've heard a fair number of good sources and recordings over the years but this was something else, it was like my first hi-fi experience all over again where I'm just sitting there with a silly grin on my face going "damn...damn that's good!"

I honestly think everyone needs to experience one of these tapes at some point just to get an idea of how good a hi-fi system can really sound.

The selection is fairly limited though. And the jazz selection is sort of bland/popular music. There's only so many times one can hear Waltz For Debby. And Monk has recorded far more adventurous music than Brilliant Corners. The Coltrane/Burrell and Clifford Brown is good stuff.

Edited by deepak

Looking for guidance on a budget system:

I inherited a Technics SL-QD33. It has a Audio Technica 1001 cartridge. Seems to work OK, but I'm unsure of the cartridge history and figured I'd start from scratch. So, being a TT beginner, I'm looking for guidance. Are there significant step-functions in performance versus price? Would I be fine with a $30 AT or Shure cartridge? Is it worth the extra cash for a <$100 Grado or Ortofon or AT? Money is not strictly an issue but I'm sensitive to diminishing returns.

The rest of the system is still being procured: Leading contenders are PSB Image B5 (good cost/performance/form-factor) and HK3490 (phono+DAC+sub-outs for future expansion, all for $300).

Thanks for any and all advice.

The tapes are spectacular and definitely represent some of the best sound I've heard. Oddly the others were things like a garrard 401 playing out of gotu horns

Did Tom Hankins ever post his impressions after adding xlr output on his VPI TT?

I'm way late. Have had the XLR box on and it has made a noticable difference in noise floor, which has resulted in more inner detail and a deeper soundstage than I was getting before. Not sure how much of this is due to running the BAT balanced or if this what I would get with another phonostage. I'm using the same cables (AQ Skys) just switched from SE to balanced. Worthwhile upgrade for the 300.00 it cost. Fairly easy to setup too. Took about an hour to put it on and grease the platter bearing. Most of the time was tied up in getting the anti-skate right.

Also couldnt resist, and picked up a Denon 103R to play with. Might switch it in this weekend.

Also couldnt resist, and picked up a Denon 103R to play with. Might switch it in this weekend.

Interesting, Tom! I've just started fiddling with cartridge/arm setup myself. Very interested in the 103R because its way low compliance is perfect for my heavy Fidelity Research arm (22 grams effective mass). Most of the modern MC carts are on the high-side of compliance for such an arm - and it only looks worse going for an upgrade, since the higher-end carts tend to be heavier too. I'm looking at arms too, but it would be nice to hear the FR64fx with a cart that's a right fit, before I decide to sell/keep it.

Let me know what you think!