The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Tom I have owned two retips and I own the SMMC1, they are wonderful. How it works is frustrating though as you pay your money and wait a few months but you get a great and competitively priced retip/new cantilever. I'd strongly recommend the $350 TOTL version.

Tom I have owned two retips and I own the SMMC1, they are wonderful. How it works is frustrating though as you pay your money and wait a few months but you get a great and competitively priced retip/new cantilever. I'd strongly recommend the $350 TOTL version.

I've read about the long waits but it seems (like you) that everyone has been really happy with the end results. My Dyna XX2 MKII is dropping the left channel so i thought I'd send it and use the Denon until it gets back. tHANKS FOR INFO i'M IN.

I've been trying the Ortofon Jubilee and Windfeld cartridges in my system the past week. Both of these have a good bit more top-end energy than the Kontrapunkt c I've been using the past year. On the other hand, the treble on the Kontra can get a bit spashy and harsh (especially during dynamic peaks), while the Windfeld in particular is superbly clean and smooth.

While swapping carts, I've noticed that the Kontra c, on my Fidelity Research arm, has a relative tendency towards exaggerating the low end (lower mids and midbass). Since this had been my reference system for a year, I'd compensated by toe-ing in the speakers quite a bit to bring the top-end energy back in line (which also exacerbated the splashy-ness no doubt). The speaker positioning and toe-in had to be completely re-optimized for the Windfeld. With the Jubilee, I'm still not convinced it's enough of an upgrade over the Kontra c to bother with. The Windfeld is something special, but its balance is very different from the Kontra and I've definitely had to adjust for it. To be honest I've also turned down the treble energy on the Kensington speakers, which shevles 1.1K and up by 1.5dB - and I like it there. Previously I'd always left it on the "flat" settings. Now that I'm finally playing with those settings, they're nice to have.

The signal-to-noise from the Windfeld is a revelation. It's significantly better than the Kontra c. Vinyl is just SO damn quiet now. The resolution, spatialization, and tonality of the Windfeld are also clear winners over the other carts I've had in the system.

Also, the Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 sounds awesome (much better than the SS stages I've had), but its lack of a subsonic filter is driving me NUTS! I freaking hate seeing my woofers leaping out like that every time there's a record warp of a groove glitch - makes me nervous.

Also, the Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 sounds awesome (much better than the SS stages I've had), but its lack of a subsonic filter is driving me NUTS! I freaking hate seeing my woofers leaping out like that every time there's a record warp of a groove glitch - makes me nervous.

How about adding a separate filter into the chain?

Depending on the output of your cartridge, you might want to make sure it will work with the KAB.

AudiogoN Forums: KAB Rumble filter gets preamp to overload/distort?

Fortunately, we with low MC carts will never have such problems. Our problem is always getting enough gain, and the noise issues related to that.

Still, I'm wary of that KAB filter since it looks like it's trying to be a 20Hz brickwall. At -18dB/octave slope, it's a 3rd order filter. My speakers' crossovers only use 2nd order filters. I've been told the higher order filters can mess with phase, though I don't currently understand the circuits/math at that level. The KAB also mixes to mono below 140Hz - WTF? Looks like there's way too much going on in there - I just want something as simple as possible to take the subsonic noise down a notch - to assuredly safe levels at loud volumes, no matter the disc.

I've considered adding in a first order filter just by putting a pair of film caps in the chain. It would yield an ~6 dB/octave slope, centered at say 20Hz (3dB down there), so that makes:

* ~10dB down at 10Hz

* 23dB down at 2 Hz

So that should do the job with a minimal impact on sound quality.

The trick is WHERE to put the caps? Putting them in-line between TT and phono stage would necessitate extremely LARGE quality film caps (~60-80 uF) due to the low 100 ohms loading. It's do-able but I don't really want to deal with caps the size of an apple - expensive too, for the boutique cap brands. Putting them in-line between phono and preamp would be easier since the 50K ohm input would necessitate a very reasonable ~0.16uF cap. However, better would be to open up the stage and replace its output caps with the 0.16uF caps, though that would obviously involve modding the gear in a very non-reusable way and would have to be undone before resale.

Or maybe I'll just wait for the Rogue Ares to come out, which will have a reasonable rumble filter, Cinemag stepups, a tube MM stage, and will match my preamp/amp splendidly (it's being voiced on that combo, and with a top Ortofon MC to boot).

Ok I've been playing music carts this weekend with the Origin Live Sovereign and wow each are great in their own way. First off the OL is superb sounding if not completely an off their rocker design. Until you get some time with it it scares the shit out of you. The sub chassis intentionally has play in it so when you lift the arm you can sort of wiggle the sub chassis back and forth if you are not careful.

Since trying the Mint LP alignment tool I can understand using these sight line devices for anything other than roughing in a cart to a 2 MM variance if you are lucky. I have a Mint on order but he ships once a month as they ship June 17th. If you don't have one of these they are great. Set up takes a while and you will strain your eyes and get fatigued as you are doing the same thing a dozen times while hovering over a $1000 cart (for the most part).

Carts that I have played with so far, bearing in mind perfect alignment was not achieved as I only have the TT basics tool atm.

Denon DL-S1 WOW if you like to rock the fuck out this is your man. Dynamics, leadig edge attack in spades, fabulous bass slamm and it digs deep. OTOH their is a slight harndness or leanness to the mids that while not a deal killer for rock does hamper small combo jazz reproduction.

Shelter 501 Soundsmith retip, at first it sounded dull and lifeless with a rubbery tone. After playing around with the alignment it settled in, great mids and sweet highs but lacks the bass slamm of the Denon. It also struggled on a few super dymanic passages. I am chaking this up to set up issues.

Soundsmith SMMC1, set up way out it is spitty and harsh. I immediately put this cart on A-gon but today I pulled it out and played with the alignment a bit and wow very good. Very revealing and a good tracker this cart is a detail monster. I am convinced it is still out by a 1-2 mm margin at least but much better and may be a keeper. It lacks viseeral bass, its there but something is missing that I can't place.

anyway I can't wait to get the Mint LP set up tool later this month and reput these through their paces. I'll add the zyx to the mix at that point. I gotta sell at least two of these carts to free up some cash but can't bring myself to do so until I hear them all dialed in.

• 2 weeks later...

Amp came back good-as new last week, so vinyl is spinning again :)

The Windfeld has been growing on me, more each day. Possibly still breaking in, since I got it from a friend with very, very low hours. It's phenomenal - a substantial upgrade over the Kontra c. Dynamics, bass impact, resolution, soundstage, and noise floor are all better in a way that's not subtle at all. I reconciled the seemingly hot top-end by toe-ing OUT my speakers. I guess over the last year I'd toe'd them in too much to improve the sense of resolution and top-end extension for the Kontra c. Now they're toe'd to Tannoy's recommended 15 degrees off-axis (as best as I can measure/eyeball the angle with straight edges and a ruler). Once I did this, the balance was nearly perfect and the soundstage opened up to a huge degree!

That, and I've been adapting to the Windfeld's presentation. There's no added warmth like with the Kontra c - this was odd at first, but easy to get used to. The Jubilee was much closer to the level of the Kontra c, but still with better top-end extension, and without the added warmth (not sure though, I might still like the warmth in that particular comparison). At this point the Kontra c won't be going back in there, and another local friend found a good match in the Jubilee. Will be selling my Kontra c and/or a - looks like I already have a good local candidate for the Kontra a. And the guy I got the Windfeld from has an MC A90 (from what I've heard the Windfeld isn't too far, but the A90 has even better dynamics). Everybody wins :)

Amp came back good-as new last week, so vinyl is spinning again :)

The Windfeld has been growing on me, more each day. Possibly still breaking in, since I got it from a friend with very, very low hours. It's phenomenal - a substantial upgrade over the Kontra c. Dynamics, bass impact, resolution, soundstage, and noise floor are all better in a way that's not subtle at all. I reconciled the seemingly hot top-end by toe-ing OUT my speakers. I guess over the last year I'd toe'd them in too much to improve the sense of resolution and top-end extension for the Kontra c. Now they're toe'd to Tannoy's recommended 15 degrees off-axis (as best as I can measure/eyeball the angle with straight edges and a ruler). Once I did this, the balance was nearly perfect and the soundstage opened up to a huge degree!

That, and I've been adapting to the Windfeld's presentation. There's no added warmth like with the Kontra c - this was odd at first, but easy to get used to. The Jubilee was much closer to the level of the Kontra c, but still with better top-end extension, and without the added warmth (not sure though, I might still like the warmth in that particular comparison). At this point the Kontra c won't be going back in there, and another local friend found a good match in the Jubilee. Will be selling my Kontra c and/or a - looks like I already have a good local candidate for the Kontra a. And the guy I got the Windfeld from has an MC A90 (from what I've heard the Windfeld isn't too far, but the A90 has even better dynamics). Everybody wins :)

Good news on the amp Mike.

Nice write up John, lookin forward to continued evaluations.

Ok, I saw this VPI this weekend, even though a supposed twenty year old model appears to be in pristeen condition. The TT is a VPI model HW 19 Mark 3 with a solid Oak base, Rega RB-300 Arm and an unknown Grado "wood" cart and the tonearm has been rewired with Cardas rca connectors. I did a very quick search for comments on this TT and other than there are some platter, chassis and motor isolation upgrades available on Elusive Disc for up to $1K depending on how far you go, I could not find much else on owners satisfaction with this model. The seller is asking $1,495 so I am interested if anyone here has had any first hand experience with this particular VPI model or comments about the Rega tonearm.

Also I was thinking of picking up these 200 gram Blue Note albums ---

Horace Silver Horace Silver Quintet & Trio,

Horace Silver Horace Scope,

Silver, Horace And The Jazz Messengers

and this CLARK, SONNY Cool Struttin' MONO - 200 gram

Are these albums worth a shot?

Greg any of the MM series is awesome I do highly recommend just about all of them the Lee Morgan stuff is killer, so far I like the Grant Green stuff, the Gill Mele LP is sweet but there are ust so many great performances with really good sound as well. Don't forget the AP Impulse series stuff or the Coltrane Giants Steps 45 RPM.

Just got my Target 2 shelf wall unit delivered I'll be putting it up thursday night just in time for the mint protractor to arrive.

Also I was thinking of picking up these 200 gram Blue Note albums ---

Horace Silver Horace Silver Quintet & Trio,

Horace Silver Horace Scope,

Silver, Horace And The Jazz Messengers

and this CLARK, SONNY Cool Struttin' MONO - 200 gram

Are these albums worth a shot?

Greg,

Horace Silver Quintet & Trio is coming out in the Analogue Productions Hoffman/Gray reissues this August, so I would wait for that one.

Horace Scope and Horace Silver And The Jazz Messengers are both available from Classic Records and are not on the MM or AP collections lists that I have seen. Those are both good picks, and I may actually buy them with Classic going the way of the Dodo.

The Cool Struttin' in the Music Matters series is not mono to my recollection, and it is not listed as OOP. That is the one I would buy (and did).

Cheers.

Thanks Al, The Cool Strutin' is a Blue Note "SIGNATURE BLUE NOTE SERIES 200GM Q" album said to be a reissue in 200G vinyl. So I will buy the Sonny Clark and Horace Scope and Horace Silver And The Jazz Messengers on friday and wait for the AP stuff in August.