The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Soundwaves from the speakers make needle move back and forth. In my case it ended up sounding like bass boost. I would never do a needledrop with speakers on, for example. It can be made better or worse mostly with "distance from speakers".

Ah alright thanks.

Yeezh -- acoustic feedback make headphones the preferable output device for vinyl. I've recorded it -- and you can, too -- try it to see how bad your system feeds back. Just listen at normal volumes, record direct, and alternately mute and unmute.

So short answer is set up a needledrop system, and always get the vinyl. Unless you hear that a digital version is better.

My drops are done with speakers playing at 85db average with no noticeable effect

Dusting my platter has become a major pain in the butt whenever I want to listen since I have no dust cover. Any recommendations for the type of companies that would be able to manufacture a clear acrylic cover? I would rather see about exploring this route than pay for one from an audiophile outfit.

• 3 weeks later...

So after rocking the 1200 for a good 4-5 years now I decided to try another turntable. I'd long been curious about the Rega line, since it seems to be the polar opposite of the Technics in all ways except ease of setup. They are both really easy to setup. I really like turntables to be easy to setup. So I took advantage of the sales at Music Direct and bought a Rega P3-24 with TTPSU, and I bought a used Rega Exact 2 off audiogon for really cheap.

The combination definitely does not suck.

post-253-0-13654700-1314758386_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-47762700-1314758393_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-17352100-1314758401_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-15376600-1314758410_thumb.jpg

the flash picked up some crazy dust in those pics, looks much cleaner in person.

comparisons are completely unscientific, and ultimately unfair since the Exact 2 is clearly the superior cart to the one on my 1200 (KAB/Ortofon ProS30), but the Rega is better then the 1200. There is a sense of ease and PRaT to the Rega that is really fun to listen to. The midbass is spectacular. It all feels very first-time-you-heard-a-Grado RS-1 to me if that makes any sense. Instruments come and go at exactly the right time, like they are taking it real easy but making sure they are never late. The midrange isn't completely out of this world in your face hyper liquidity tear inducing (ESL-63) but its accurate and true, and its lack of lush richness isn't bothering me at all. In fact I didn't really think about it until I started writing these impressions.

I went with the high gloss black, its a slick looking table to my eyes. I also really like the felt mat, makes it easy to swap records while the platter is still turning. Setting up the cartridge was pretty easy. Alignment is literally impossible to screw up since the Rega cart uses a 3 point mounting system, but the whole deal with getting the tonearm to float to find the zero point is a joke, since you can never really turn the antiskate off the tonearm always floats back to the armrest. But I used the Shure gauge to dial it in at 1.8 (I lent out my digital stylus force gauge, its on the way back as we speak) and everything seems to sound great. Sound degrades a bit on the innermost grooves, but across the rest of the record its solid.

the table has really exceeded my expectations, I didn't expect as big an improvement as I got.

Agreed, down with direct drive!

I have the same table and think it is the best combo under whatever a used Space Deck sells for.

What about a P5? Also around $1200-ish used. I think I would have more interest in Regas if there weren't so many dealers and other people ranting and raving about them on other hifi forums. Dumb reason I suppose to not be interested in one, but that is my take, that and I didn't care for my older P3/classic RB300 smile.png

what made me want to try one is because of the intensely polarizing nature of the rega tables. people either completely hate them or adore them. I also like all the marketing about it being an easy to setup no frills kind of table.

it's definitely not a table for those that like to hyperanalyze their setup, making sure everything is perfect. you kind of just set it all up the way rega tells you to and then ride with it. I like that because I hate stressing over whether my VTF/VTA/azimuth/alignment/bias etc is correct.

what made me want to try one is because of the intensely polarizing nature of the rega tables. people either completely hate them or adore them. I also like all the marketing about it being an easy to setup no frills kind of table.

it's definitely not a table for those that like to hyperanalyze their setup, making sure everything is perfect. you kind of just set it all up the way rega tells you to and then ride with it. I like that because I hate stressing over whether my VTF/VTA/azimuth/alignment/bias etc is correct.

Sorry Jack I didn't mean to sound like a wet blanket. I know there will be a Rega table again sometime in my future in my turntable rolling journey.

deepak I wasn't perceiving you as being a wet blanket at all! in fact I can see how all the hating and fanboyism can be a turnoff. so no worries there.

BX: I went with the p3-24 ultimately (rather then the rp3) because it's already been heavily reviewed and used. the RP3 got a good review in tonepub but that's the only current review. and even tonepub says it's more of an evolution then a revolution. so couple that with the $300 savings (basically the TTPSU is free) and the better looking gloss finish (IMO) and the choice became clear for me.

of course in the end it might be the RP3 is the better table.time will tell.

Good points. The included cart (RP3) replaces the included PSU (P3-24 here), so it's what you want to spend the extra on, right? Course it sounds like you got the cart cheap. Completely agree the color (black) and gloss win on looks.

Considering others like Clearaudio Concept, but there always something missing (dust cover?), that pushes that price up.

Good points. The included cart (RP3) replaces the included PSU (P3-24 here), so it's what you want to spend the extra on, right? Course it sounds like you got the cart cheap. Completely agree the color (black) and gloss win on looks.

Considering others like Clearaudio Concept, but there always something missing (dust cover?), that pushes that price up.

The RP3 with Elys 2 is $1095, without its $895. The Elys 2 runs ~$300, so buying with the cart pre mounted saves you $100. There is also talk of this only being introductory pricing, so expect a price increase in the future. Whenever I read reviews or discussion threads about the newer P3 variants everyone always ALWAYS says "get the TTPSU omg" so I figured why not just get the freaking TTPSU upfront, especially when I can almost basically sort of get it for free with the P324 closeout.

In general I think Rega carts are viewed as a poor value, meaning there are better options in the price range. But it seems there are less negative comments about the Exact then the Elys, as there should be considering the Exact goes for $600. Buying used carts is always a bit sketchy, but I picked mine up on audiogon for $225. The seller admitted the hours were unknown, but he said under a magnified picture it seemed to have lots of life left. His feedback was good and his honesty appealing, so I took a chance. He didn't have the original box, or stylus guard for that matter, but he shipped it in a really creative way involving a wood block, a piece of hard plastic, and a zip tye. crude looking but really effective. anyway I took a gamble and at least so far it appears its paying off.

I know audio gear isn't a democratic process, and I know how we all love the "which should I buy" threads, but I'm gonna post anyway in case those far more knowledgeable than I have have points I should also consider before deciding. Apologies in advance, but just trying to make sure I slightly know the field. And of course two of these tables are relatively new so not sure how much has been actually heard.

Returned the Rega RP1 as I knew upgraditis was gonna strike, especially with the RP3 hitting shore a couple weeks later. And getting out from under the JH Audio fiasco, freed up some funds. Contemplating either:

Rega RP3 with (likely) Elys 2. Hopefully jump from RP1 w/performance pack and upgrade the PSU and cart later if need be. Nicely out of the door near $1K. Basically a single review and it seems the cart is not universally loved, though upgraded tone arm and platter.

Clearaudio Concept with their Concept MM cart. Moves up to $1500. Haven't found a decent review of the cart, and a couple of guesses have been that performance may be on par with RP3, paying extra for fit and finish. Who knows how much weight to give those guesses. Seems Clearaudio house sound is more analytical than Regas. Occasionally called 'boring,' but seems those comments are often with non-Clearaudio carts. Read several Rock v. Classical debates against Rega.

Marantz TT-15 (in partnership with Clearaudio - upgraded Emotion) and the included Virtuoso Ebony Wood Cartridge (~$850 msrp). Also $1500, older acrylic design and here seems (from rep and if there's any relationship between price and quality) getting that cart at this price is the deal. Wish there was at least once comparison with Clearaudios own 'budget table' and for how old it is surprised there are so few reviews.

Are those takes basically correct, or anything else you think I should consider? If one is rumored to have lower surface noise, that would definitely be considered. Again, sorry and thank you.

Were it my dough, I'd stay away from any of those, and would look for a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck or Ace Spacedeck if you can stretch the budget a bit.

JYz6P.jpg

If that's too expensive (the deck alone costs $1700-1900, then there's the cart), another really good TT is the Michel Tecnodec with the Tecnoarm or if that's too expensive, then with a Rega RB250.

5fJXB.jpg

You'll wonder why, but IMO Clearaudio is to turntables what Rudistor is to headphone gear. Maybe a bit better build quality, but that's all. Rega is OK price-quality wise, but you need to like their PRAT uberalles sound. If you've tried one and like it, then get it, otherwise be prepared to preferring anything else. The Marantz is just a join venture of Clearaudio giving brand and know-how to Marantz. No big deal, more or less like spending thousands of dollars on a Musical Fidelity TT :palm:

NA and Michel are entirely another kind of product. Maybe not the best build quality and finishing in the world, but incredibly good sounding stuff.

Hey Rick,

It might be worth your time to take a drive down to The Analog Room in San Jose.

Brian, the owner, is extremely opinionated and sometimes you have to put up with some cigar smoke, but I don't think there's another spot in Ca where you can audition as many vinyl rigs in one spot.

I haven't been in there in ages but he always used to have at least a couple of entry level set ups. You could also give him a call to be sure that his recommendations for your price range will be ready to hear.

http://theanalogroom.com/products.html

A little cigar smoke??? Brian was a hoot, knows his shit and loved the place (once I could find it behind the Subway sans sign and all). Such a great vinyl sales collection also. Thanks sooo much for suggesting. Really informative visit.

And your post too Torpedo. Opened up my search beyond the usual players. Combined with The Analog Room visit (effectively Nottingham Analogue headquarters), still debating, but now eyeing the Nottingham Interspace Jr. (Spacedeck, higher than the above price, once complete would be significantly outside by already rising budget). Keeping in mind I was originally just trying to inch up from RP1 w/performance pack to the base RP3, this is about as comfortable as I'd go up the price mountain.

Thanks much guys.

Glad to help Rick.

I used to spend at least one Saturday a month hanging out there and I loved checking out all the latest gear and engaging in audio gossip.

Brian is extremely knowledgeable and used to be the music editor for The Absolute Sound (when it was still the smaller sized magazine). I'm pretty sure that he's had just about every turntable (except for some of the ultra exotic Euro stuff) in his shop at one time or another so he knows what he's talking about.

The Analog Room is kind of a throwback to the early days of high end audio. It took Brian forever to even put out a yellow pages ad and I seriously doubt that he'll ever put a sign on the store. But he has a great rep with the record producers. When a new album comes out he's sure to have most of the single digit serial numbered copies that left the pressing plant.