The analog thread.

Hopstretch

• 3 weeks later...

What clamp do you use?

The colossus has a VPI platter and threaded bearing spindle as well, and I happened to find a good deal on a Black Diamond Racing, Carbon fiber clamp. I was quite surprised to listen to the difference of clamp vs. no clamp.

Anyone use the Periphery Ring Clamp? I've always been curious about it.

What clamp do you use?

The colossus has a VPI platter and threaded bearing spindle as well, and I happened to find a good deal on a Black Diamond Racing, Carbon fiber clamp. I was quite surprised to listen to the difference of clamp vs. no clamp.

Anyone use the Periphery Ring Clamp? I've always been curious about it.

The stock VPI screw on clamp

My friend used to use the periphery ring clamp and it works very well. It's a bit nerve wracking putting it on and off with a few drinks in you though smile.png

I use the Herbie's Supersonic Record Stabilizer to good effect

weight.jpg

A molded and hand-machined non-magnetic composite of fluorocarbons and metallic particles formulated for use with Herbie's turntable mats to enhance overall turntable performance. Stabilizer is not a clamp or conventional record weight

it's designed to add a moderate amount of virtual mass to the record without clamping. 163.5 grams (5.8 oz.)

Edited by DigiPete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have about 25 hours on the Zyx Bloom and I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. The cart sounds very nice. Immediately noticeable is the incredible amount of soundstage depth I was hearing. This was a dramatic difference from the DL-103 which sounded too flat and 2-demensional (though maybe not a great match for my arm even with a 3g headshell weight). The other thing with the Zyx is it is wonderful tonally, especially in the mids and treble. Cymbal hits are well defined with perfect decays. On the Denon they just tended to sound like "splash splash" with smearing and no clear delineation. Vocal sibilance is also entirely gone, except for a few really bad records. My guess is that the Zyx has an easier time tracking hot/loud parts, allowing the music to sound more clear and natural.

Loaded at 100 ohms

I think I am a Zyx convert :)

I need some advice from the turntable experts. I recently moved to an apartment. One of the pluses to it is that I'll finally have room to use my turntable. I started playing with it yesterday, and noticed that the stylus has been bent 90 degrees. Here is a fuzzy picture (had to use a flashlight) but the blurry shiny thing going to the right is the stylus.

040.jpg

This happened because the large nut that holds the tonearm had come lose and the entire arm slewed during the move.

The cartridge is a Reson Reca, which is basically a modified Goldring 1042.

I'm wondering how to fix this. Is this just a stylus problem, or do you think that it damaged the cartridge too? Can I just try to bend the stylus straight again? Can I fix it by replacing the stylus? Should I find a local turntable expert and have that person look at it and try to fix it?

Damn this is a bit frustrating. I thought that I would finally be getting back into analog. embarrassed.gif Oh well, I've already waited 11 years, I can wait another couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Cheers,

-ken

I'd try to bend it back straight, but I'm afraid it will break. If it does, then get a new stylus, I guess you can get a new one, but if it's pricey and costs close to a whole new cart, maybe getting the whole thing is a better idea. The Goldring 1042 is a decent sounding MM cart which should sound quite similar to the Reca.

Bummer,.. that thing is really bent!

I don't think I'd even try to bend that one back. The odds of getting the stylus to line up again is nil. A stylus that isn't point straight down can really mess up a record fast.

The Goldring version of the stylus could be replaced (kinda expensive though). I think you could do better on the used market though.

Anyone here have any recent experience with the new Clarity vinyl series? There are a few albums I am interested in but at $75 a pop I don't want to commit if these versions are just meh. There seems to be a lot of chatter out there about the Clarity vinyl being the shizzles but I am wondering if this is just more audio lemming oil.