The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Setup was a breeze, it is super quiet, speed is dead on. Sounds fast after the Michell and VPI. Very powerful sound tons of detail, soundstage depth very good but width not quite as good as the Michell. But still outside the speakers. Weakness would be a little dry in upper midrange. Could be I'm hearing more of the lyra though,not sure. Very happy and about as far as I can go $$$ wise. Saving now for mega cartridge and second REX amp.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know how much bearing oil I should add to my Spacedeck? I've added about 1/4 teaspoon and I'm not sure if that is enough.

edit: found the manual that says to add a half cap. Did just that, and I think I have too much oil in there, since the platter will not seat down fully sad.png

Is there a way to drain the oil from the underneath of the bearing, or do I need to remove the entire thing and empty it from the top?

edit2: nevermind it looks like gravity did the trick and it slowly went down. Science bitches!

Just gave the platter a very gentle spin and it spun freely for over a minute. Granted the belt isn't hooked up so no friction from the pulley, but this is spinning much smoother now.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to drain the oil from the underneath of the bearing, or do I need to remove the entire thing and empty it from the top?

Totally unsceintific, AFAIK. Last time I put too much in any turntable, I rolled up a strip of paper towel and just soaked it up from the top. With a flashlight, there may be a maker inside that shows how much is enough. Just keep some blue masking tape around and keep the area around the well secured so you don't get oil everywhere.

Earlier today I listened to the VPI Traveler and the Rega RP6. The Traveler was not warmed up, nor was the AR tube phono pre, so the whole thing was congested and confusing. Literally. I felt like I was on Crack or something. After a half a side I told the guy I'd make an appt and come back when things were warmed up more. The RP6 was warmed up, as was it's preamp, and was every bit as snappy as Brit hifi is supposed to be, but it definitely missed the tonality that the VPI nailed. Still, not even remotely a 1:1 comparison. The dealer, though, had sold 6 Travelers in the last week, which was pretty surprising.

Edited by bhjazz

• 2 weeks later...

I've cleaned around 20 LPs with AIVS No 15, that were pretty noisy with my other cleaning regimes. This stuff is really good. Doesn't kill surface noise entirely on dirty/scuffed records, but it cuts it down quite a bit. Even made some newer RTI pressed vinyl play silent. The only annoying thing is you have to apply the fluid and let it sit on the LP for a while. Then come back to it and vacuum.

I will try This ^.I've lately been on a rampage against that little crinkly noise that somehow gets left in the grooves after I've cleaned a record. (And too often on current pressings, comes in the darn grooves)FWIW, I've had some decent luck using the gooey In The Groove Roller after a regular vacuum cleaning.I changed the kind of velvet that my brushed are made of, too. That has helped.Are you doing a water rinse after the #15?

Edited by CarlSeibert

I will try This ^.I've lately been on a rampage against that little crinkly noise that somehow gets left in the grooves after I've cleaned a record. (And too often on current pressings, comes in the darn grooves)FWIW, I've had some decent luck using the gooey In The Groove Roller after a regular vacuum cleaning.I changed the kind of velvet that my brushed are made of, too. That has helped.Are you doing a water rinse after the #15?

IMO if you hear that after cleaning it's fluid/residue left in the grooves... that is if it wasn't there before.

I do use deionized water after the # 15.

edit: I have plenty of DiscDoctor Miracle fluid left if anyone wants a good deal on the stuff, send me a message

Edited by deepak

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone else interested in the U-Turn $150 Kickstarter financed TT as an intro/secondary table? Wonder how it will compete with the entry Regas and Pro-Jects?    
Interesting. If it turns out to sound pretty good it would be nice to see it sold in your friendly local record store instead of those dreadful plastic things you usually see.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn, would be all over it if they had one in orange....and if I still had a listening room free from a toddler and two cats.

Orange is easy...

Pledge $1,000 or more

ORBIT CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE. We will work with you and our resident artist to create a truly one-of-a-kind (and fully-upgraded) . Limited (2 of 3 remaining)

Orange is easy...

Pledge $1,000 or more

ORBIT CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE. We will work with you and our resident artist to create a truly one-of-a-kind (and fully-upgraded) . Limited (2 of 3 remaining)

I wouldn't exactly call shelling out $1,000 to a company that doesn't really exist in any meaningful fashion easy.