The analog thread.

Hopstretch

If your still looking for a budget phono stage, Bottlehead has their basic Reduction kit on sale right now for $299.

I can't say I've heard it before but I did like the Seduction although as with many tube driven phono stages, you need to be sure it has enough gain for medium to low output MC cartridges.

http://bottlehead.com/?product=reduction-phono-preamplifier-kit

I think I would prefer to stick with SS. My cart currently is an AT 440mla MM, 4mV so I don't need anything that will handle a LO MC. I was looking at AudioSector, but that one appears to be geared towards LO MC. The table is my old Thorens 320, so nothing special there.

I was looking at Thorsten Loesch's Analogue Addict's Phono Preamp, originally posted here, updated on the Pub in 2004/2006 or so, and then again on diyhifi.org in 2012. I can't find anything beyond what is in the thread there (all links/images are dead). Seems interesting though, and pretty cheap to build. It does have an add-on portion for MC, but is geared towards MM carts.

Thorsten advises P-P build instead of doing a PCB, and thinks that deadbug on copper would be the best way to do this. Something I've never done before. This needs a pair of OPA637s, which at current pricing I would be reluctant to solder directly to. If anyone happens to have more up to date info on this I'd appreciate anything I could get. Apparently he had made parts recommendations (based on more current parts), etc. I sent him a PM on diyhifi, but I would be surprised if he answers it. Maybe do a teflon PCB :)

• 4 weeks later...

The local graham slee importer is closing it's doors and is selling off the remaining stock with a 40% discount.

Naturally i picked up a reflex M and psu1.

only problem now is i feel compelled to upgrade my lowly DL160 PU as well!

#1st world problems ;)

also, this is the daintiest piece of hi-fi hardware i have ever seen!

IMG_1750.jpg

Edited by bjarnetv
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Torpedo said:

I knew yesterday about the MAG-LEV kickstarter of a turntable using magnetic suspension to spin the platter. It looks cool, but I wonder how would such magnetic field affect the pick up and the tonearm settings.

probably a lot, though i guess they could try to combat it with some sort of antimagnetic "mat" on top of the platter to minimize the magnetic interference on the cartridge?

i also wonder how stable the speed would be, and how much the platter would wobble playing an uneven record.

OK - completed and part tested current input balanced phono stage by Borbeli (and Sigurd Ruschovski). Better sound good - cheap to build it was not. Need the casework and build three more shunt regulators (the thing with the black heatsink). For use with Garrard 401/SME/DL103(Zu Audio rebuild)

State of play.jpg

Edited by Craig Sawyers

A phono cartridge is essentially balanced, so all separate wires from the headshell in. From what I recall, the two - signals are tied together in the turntable itself, so I think that undoing that and bringing them out somehow is all you need to do. Been quite awhile, and I've never rewired one.

I'll probably configure it single ended first. The two small boards can be bal2unbal or unbal2bal. So for SE these would be unbal2bal.

Then rewire tonearm in a way I have not entirely thought through yet and go balanced input to balanced output. Then the small boards would be bal2unbal just to provide an unbal output if needed.

Casework will come from here http://www.modushop.biz/site/ , at which point I will be financially punished as a result of the stupidly weak pound (globally) as a result of the clowns who voted us out of Europe.

Well that escalated quickly.

Since i just upgraded my RIAA, i figured i was going to upgrade my cart from the old DL160 to something slightly better.

Then i was given around 5 banana-crates full of old jazz and classical records for free....

Seeing as the vinyl rig just got a whole lot more important, i'm going all out ordering a GS Elevator EXP and an AT33ptg/II cart.

I didn't really need that savings account anyway ;)