The analog thread.

Hopstretch

It's been a week and have to say I'm really digging this vinyl thing. 

IMG_0113.JPG

Have ordered a good chunk of new vinyl mixed in with some nice used bargain finds, like the bill Evans above.  Tried to keep my uturn somewhat minimal, went with ortofon om5e and internal preamp, hooked to my emotiva dc1 and powering stealth 6's (no cue lever! Haha).  Really happy with the sound, the cart tracks really well, and have gotten some pretty clean vinyl so far  

I guess next question are accessories...looking at the spin clean manual record washer, but I don't think I have enough records to really warrant a cleaning system yet.  Just picked up an audio quest brush and got a cork/rubber mat coming from turntable lab tomorrow.  Using the magic eraser trick for stylus cleaning, thing freaking works.  Will probably just focus on getting more vinyl lol.

• Like 2

Anyone else have any strong preferences between alignments?

I've always preferred stevenson, but i decided to give Baerwald a second chance.

well, after about a week i've had enough. no matter how precise i tweak it, there is just too much distortion!

went back to Stevenson, and everything is great again.

DSCN5265_zpsonyhrkq5.jpg

14 hours ago, bjarnetv said:

Anyone else have any strong preferences between alignments?

I've always preferred stevenson, but i decided to give Baerwald a second chance.

well, after about a week i've had enough. no matter how precise i tweak it, there is just too much distortion!

went back to Stevenson, and everything is great again.

DSCN5265_zpsonyhrkq5.jpg

I love me some vinyl, Cthulhu knows I've spent plenty on records, and I have a decent analog system (and my analog system now sounds like my CD player, when I use really clean records; go figure), but I have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about alignments.  I've always tried for a close to perpendicular stylus position at each part of the record.  I suppose that trying to make it as perpendicular as possible on average is a compromise.  Are these alignments optimizing various attributes?  Cartridge position can certainly make a big difference!

On 1/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Anti-static gun

Why?  You can get a carbon fiber brush for $10, and that completely solved my static problem.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I love me some vinyl, Cthulhu knows I've spent plenty on records, and I have a decent analog system (and my analog system now sounds like my CD player, when I use really clean records; go figure), but I have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about alignments.  I've always tried for a close to perpendicular stylus position at each part of the record.  I suppose that trying to make it as perpendicular as possible on average is a compromise.  Are these alignments optimizing various attributes?  Cartridge position can certainly make a big difference!

I guess this article kind of explains it:

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/tonearm-and-cartridge-alignment/

The Stevenson alignment is supposed to have slightly higher average tracing distortion, but less on the inner part of the record.

SA-750D_Tracking_distortion_DIN_VE.png

I'm not sure why, but to my ears i am getting overall less distortion when i set the cart up with the Stevenson null points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bjarnetv said:

I guess this article kind of explains it:

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/tonearm-and-cartridge-alignment/

The Stevenson alignment is supposed to have slightly higher average tracing distortion, but less on the inner part of the record.

SA-750D_Tracking_distortion_DIN_VE.png

I'm not sure why, but to my ears i am getting overall less distortion when i set the cart up with the Stevenson null points.

Thanks!  That's interesting.

When does an innocent interest transcend the limits of the hobby and warp Into a... dark hobby?

I bought a new headphone amp today...

DSCN5278.jpg

it came with a turntable attached...

DSCN5277.jpg

Lots of patina, but has been constantly serviced and maintained by SR, so it works fine.

built in april 1979 apparently

DSCN5288.jpg

DSCN5287.jpg

arm is an EPA-100p

the more robust brother of the EPA-100, with regular bearings instead of sapphire, external armlift and no silicone damper in the counterweight.

still got the titanium nitride armtube though.

DSCN5279.jpg

powersupply is slightly larger then the regular sp10 supply, to power the control unit, riia and speaker.

the top plate is not attached to the bottom, but rests on adjustable feet.

DSCN5283.jpg

the spindle on the professional version is slightly thinner then regular, to allow manual centering of the record if the hole is not centered.

the thin part of the weight has an extrusion that fills out the gap if the hole is correct, but if you want to manually center it, you just flip it around and use the fat side.

DSCN5281.jpg

So, did i really need another broadcast deck?

No.

But it used to belong to SR (Swedish radio) so now i have one Norwegian, and one Swedish deck ;)

Besides, its really cool, and probably better then the Norwegian one.
I need a headshell before i can try it out, but i found and ordered an original headshell on ebay, so hopefully i'll have it up and playing soon.

Edited by bjarnetv
  • Like 4

yeah, now i need a DR deck to complete the trifecta :lol:

i haven't really figured out which tables they used, but it was probably som kind of EMT.

Better start saving!

And did they really use esl57 as monitors?

That sounds like a pain for the maintenance guys ;)

Edited by bjarnetv

I heard that DR used EMT as well and some ended up here.  Never seen one though and the price...  eek!!! 

Yup, they had quite a few ESL57's which were then all "rescued" by the engineers when they upgraded.  With QuadII's or 303 amps they probably worked great for years and years.  My set is from 1968 and still on the original panels (refreshed electronics though) so it certainly can be done. 

Yeah the 57 design was much better from this standpoint.  Nothing to delam and if you keep the input voltage in check, they won't arc.  Many of the modern rebuilders use far better materials than Quad did (and still do) use so with a fully rebuilt set of panels this is less of an issue. 

Yeah, the danish radio EMT will have to wait until i am a seriously successful, up and coming businessman.

Acquiring these two decks in such a short interval was painful enough, although both were quite reasonable all things considered :P

I think i'll try to keep this sp-10 in the broadcast plinth, as they are to rare to sacrifice in the hunt for a slight performance boost, and i like the wabi sabi look.