The analog thread.

Hopstretch

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to cleaning some used vinyl. I ended up going with DIY route, and picked up some chemical nonionic surfactant that was recommended on the library of congress page to make a little home brew solution that ended up working really well. Got a $3 painting edge pad from Home Depot for a wet brush, worked perfectly! Rinsed off in sink using normal faucet water, then did a little bath in distilled water set in a basin, dried off with some microfiber towels, and voila! Nice and quiet and clean on some of grandmas old records and my used vinyl digs. Cleaned about 20 records for about $5 at most of materials. 

• Like 3

Hmmmm..... edge painting pad...... nice idea. I make my own out of velvet, foam, and wood, which is a pain in the butt.

I found my Decca brush making scuff marks on my records, so now I'm using a similar wood-foam-velvet cleaning brush with a drop of old time Discwasher fluid for pre-play dusting on the turntable.

By the way, allegedly, you can use diapers -or was it maxipads? - for drying. Anything to do with microfiber confuses me, so I just bought the SpinClean towels. Cheap enough.

• Like 1

They're all playing the same stupid game of the ultra high prices which we can find on any other hobbyist specialized market like watches. Clearaudio has been playing it for the last 20 years, I can't recall a single Clearaudio deck that was a great value for money. Even the affordable entry level models were a POS compared to what you could get from Project, Music Hall, Nottingham, VPI, Michel Engineering or even Rega.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Torpedo said:

I can't recall a single Clearaudio deck that was a great value for money. Even the affordable entry level models were a POS

I once put a Clearaudio cartridge on my turntable. I chose it over another brand as the dealer told me the stylus was replaceable. Sometime later, the stylus broke, and when I went to get a replacement, I was told that in fact the stylus was not replaceable, but that they would give me a $100 trade in on the broken cart. They suggested that a trade in discount was the equivalent of being able to replace the stylus. I suppose it would have been had the discount been a little steeper, but $100 off a $650 cartridge was laughable.

26 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

At only $150k a Steinway D is a solid 220lb heavier than the 770lb Clearaudio, much better value. Needs occasional maintenance but should last 30 years before needing to be rebuilt, and gives you way more audio satisfaction

Especially if you have a Westworld robot to play it for you, in the nude.

• Like 4

Thanks!

Hadn't done any veneering since 2013, so i had to redo all the mistakes i had previously learned to avoid - still turned out pretty good though.

I even infused it with several liters of blood from over enthusiastic knife-handling, just to bring out that subtle reddish hue in the wood...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjarnetv said:

I even infused it with several liters of blood from over enthusiastic knife-handling, just to bring out that subtle reddish hue in the wood...

Yeezh but lollers -- now that's what I call putting yourself in your work.

2 hours ago, bjarnetv said:

they might have been milliliters

Seems you might be suffering from blood loss?  Have a cookie or something.

On February 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM, mypasswordis said:

At only $150k a Steinway D is a solid 220lb heavier than the 770lb Clearaudio, much better value. Needs occasional maintenance but should last 30 years before needing to be rebuilt, and gives you way more audio satisfaction

A Steinway D won't fit in my condo, but I have a Falcone 7' that sounds pretty nice - this is the Falcone made by Santi Falcone in Haverhill, MA in 1988, not the stencil brand made by Sejung.  Weighs about 900 lb with a 1.5" thick rim.

Edited by JimL

1 hour ago, JimL said:

A Steinway D won't fit in my condo, but I have a Falcone 7' that sounds pretty nice - this is the Falcone made by Santi Falcone in Haverhill, MA in 1988, not the stencil brand made by Sejung.  Weighs about 900 lb with a 1.5" thick rim.

Cool! Did you buy it from him originally? And have you ever tried a Fazioli? I "played" on a Yamaha G2 from age 2 but didn't get very far with it before changing instruments... one of the big regrets I have is not sticking with it.