The analog thread.

Hopstretch

4 minutes ago, cetoole said:

I bet that sounds great! I need to give open baffle speakers a go at some point. 

Yeah, OB sounds really great if you ask me - effortless, musical and big.

You might get more dynamics and realism from large multiway horn systems, but i have yet to listen to a regular box based speaker i could live with.

i haven't heard the LX521 myself, but that seems to be the best commercially available OB speaker i have seen.

other stuff like the pure audio project speakers might look good, but having built many similar speakers before i refuse to believe they sound any good.

all wide baffle OB speakers ignore off axis measurements for a good looking straight on measurement, and will always have problems with sounding good in a normal room.

pureaudioproject_openbaffle.jpg

• Like 3

Open baffles do things box speakers don't. Of course they need extensive EQ, but one of the things you notice if you are used to box speakers is they can sound bass-shy. If you are used to open baffles, or electrostatics, of planar magnetics (Like Magnaplanar) there are no surpises. The bass is there in the right proportion to the rest of the music with no overhang, and sounds tight and fast. And open baffles interact with the room in a completely different way, exciting far fewer resonances.

10 minutes ago, bjarnetv said:

I haven't heard the LX521 myself, but that seems to be the best commercially available OB speaker i have seen.

Well you can buy a kit, or even buy one already built. Or you can do what I did - buy two sheets of Baltic Birch and build them from scratch. Then hot hide glue veneer them, and French polish them. Parts which are not veneered I made from a Rosewood called Cocobolo, and the feet were made from Goncalo Alves.

P1010919.JPG

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 9

On 2/26/2017 at 11:25 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

Open baffles do things box speakers don't. Of course they need extensive EQ, but one of the things you notice if you are used to box speakers is they can sound bass-shy. If you are used to open baffles, or electrostatics, of planar magnetics (Like Magnaplanar) there are no surpises. The bass is there in the right proportion to the rest of the music with no overhang, and sounds tight and fast. And open baffles interact with the room in a completely different way, exciting far fewer resonances.

Well you can buy a kit, or even buy one already built. Or you can do what I did - buy two sheets of Baltic Birch and build them from scratch. Then hot hide glue veneer them, and French polish them. Parts which are not veneered I made from a Rosewood called Cocobolo, and the feet were made from Goncalo Alves.

P1010919.JPG

Awesome. So I'd like my you to build me a new steel string in solid cocobolo with a adi spruce top, French polish/shellac finish and of course all hide glue construction. K thx. 

• Like 1

Made some more permanent modifications.

First, couldn't get proper length hanger bolts, so shaped the bolts post cutting by holding them with my fingers on a bench grinder to emulate Steve's finger

c957108b0736b6b43535d2434a54dfb5.jpg

Then more pictures without comment

1d18605d7d421238c9eaae7ed0cfaa46.jpg

58e7acae1159dc182d794fc8e3f4131b.jpg

Then when I got to one of the holes, there was no resistance in the drill bit. Ignore the hole on the right, which was the final hole, but found out the plinth isn't solid and the power switch wire is routed this way. The factory foot nearly pierced the wire!

188866fb5e24ee6e7a004848a16cd23e.jpg

27489a2ddb92dbdfa8691b9e70e9606a.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
How do I actually get the $10 off? When I click on join the club, it still quotes me at the original price and it doesn't show me a place to enter some kind of discount code.

I think they do it on the back end, and when billed it will be less. You don't actually get billed til next month, before it ships.

If nothing else, send Dan a PayPal invoice for 10$.

**BRENT**
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, recstar24 said:

How do I actually get the $10 off? When I click on join the club, it still quotes me at the original price and it doesn't show me a place to enter some kind of discount code.

what brent said.  It credits later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Life was getting too easy and comfortable, so i decided to go full retard - tossed the minidsp in the bin and bought an Audiolense license and a lynx aurora 8 channel dac.

The Audiolense speaker XO and TTD room correction really rocks, but getting my old surface pro 2 to do live convolution of vinyl playback turned out to be a bit much.

so now i need to build a powerful (but silent) media computer to do the maths, if i want to listen to my records... :rolleyes:

looking forward to trying out digital RIIA conversion as well. :DIMG_2348.thumb.jpg.88bd209c1954e2d2b2dd16245d18b67a.jpg

(Dac and computer haphazardly strewn about)

• Like 2

YMMV but me experience with using the Metic Halo UNL - 8  was positive compared to analog phono pre amps in that sub $2k range. Not that some units like Eddie Current's or some vintage units didn't have their appeal but on the whole the MetricHalo held it's ground and then some. 

I'd like to get back to a tube based phono pre at some stage of my life but for now digital RIAA the mic pre amps in the MH unit are fine. 

Be careful getting into the rabbit hole of needle drops as I lost countless saturdays to recording, tick and pop erasing, track separation and  tagging. Fun but time consuming 

• Like 4