The analog thread.

Hopstretch

i also went to tokyo recently, and the used record shopping was even better then i had hoped for!

so many shops everywhere! well stocked, organized and best of all, properly graded!

surprisingly, i didn't find much (old) japanese music though, which was a shame, as i really wanted some Taeko Ohnuki records (i already have them on cd, but i want vinyl too!)

IMG_2084.thumb.jpg.05b8d51da56a349162ef6e74a19ee96a.jpg

DSCN5656.thumb.jpg.ef9c0cfb9352756e299baa164c941ec9.jpg

DSCN5670.thumb.jpg.49fff83d17e02b68e321c6b0f1481318.jpg

i also bought a AT33 mono, as it was so cheap down there.

DSCN5674.thumb.jpg.268d2fca443d5464c0874ab9b451e645.jpg

• Like 6

I used to deliver to MOFI, back in the early 90's. They did not build electronics then, but they were a serious group of people making some fantastic sounding vinyl.

I'd imagine them to make a no nonsense product. I heard only good things about their speakers.

That was a steal of a final price providing no major work was needed. My PX-2 is my go to table, I still have Stretch's old Origin Live Sovereign sitting in the box waiting for me to sell it. 

On another note the newish Hana carts are fucking stunning and a stupid great deal at $750. I just bought the SH and wish I had picked up the SL but the dealer I bought from said they all are awesome even the $450 model. If you are in the market you will absolutely not be disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 3:22 PM, recstar24 said:

What are you guys using for phono stages? I've got the built in Pluto on my uturn but am looking at upgrading the TT on the new technics 1200gr so starting to research.  

DIY tube phono stage, a variation on a JC Morrison design.  Published in AudioXpress in 2004.

Just now, JimL said:

DIY tube phono stage, a variation on a JC Morrison design, 6SL7 long tailed phase splitter input, 6SN7 diff amp intermediate stage and 6J5GT output, split passive RIAA EQ flat to +/- 0.1 dB 20-20 kHz.  Published in AudioXpress in 2004.

Absolute madness close to being completed. A fully balanced phono stage, Erno Borbely design that appeared a couple of years ago in Linear audio. Three 19" rack width units. Two independent power supplies in one chassis, Left in another and right in another both fed from shunt regulators. Pass the medication....

• Like 5

So I just went to the post office to pick up the first of the Nine Inch Nails vinyls, and some idiot decided to -- for the first time in my experience -- leave it outside in 90 degree weather, at the GoPost kiosk.  There's no way to tell how long it's been out there (the tracking number says it was delivered on June 29, and the attached note says that if it isn't picked up by July 4th then blah blah blah, which makes me believe it was there the entire hot fucking weekend.

God. Fucking. Dammit.  

I'll contact the NIN shop to see how they want to handle this.

On 7/3/2017 at 2:00 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

So I just went to the post office to pick up the first of the Nine Inch Nails vinyls, and some idiot decided to -- for the first time in my experience -- leave it outside in 90 degree weather, at the GoPost kiosk.  There's no way to tell how long it's been out there (the tracking number says it was delivered on June 29, and the attached note says that if it isn't picked up by July 4th then blah blah blah, which makes me believe it was there the entire hot fucking weekend.

God. Fucking. Dammit.  

I'll contact the NIN shop to see how they want to handle this.

Have you opened it up yet? Or are you going to just send back and get replaced? Maybe it's not warped if it was just sitting on its side. 

On 7/3/2017 at 10:10 AM, JimL said:

DIY tube phono stage, a variation on a JC Morrison design.  Published in AudioXpress in 2004.

On 7/3/2017 at 11:29 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

Absolute madness close to being completed. A fully balanced phono stage, Erno Borbely design that appeared a couple of years ago in Linear audio. Three 19" rack width units. Two independent power supplies in one chassis, Left in another and right in another both fed from shunt regulators. Pass the medication....

I placed an order for a hagerman bugle 2 (thanks doug for the rec!) and should be coming in maybe this week. 

34 minutes ago, recstar24 said:

Have you opened it up yet? Or are you going to just send back and get replaced? Maybe it's not warped if it was just sitting on its side. 

No, I've not opened it yet, I was going to wait until I heard back from Sandbag, but you're right, the first thing they're going to want is for me to open it and inspect it.

Also, I was waiting until I cooled down -- I was livid yesterday.

• Like 1

Well, Sandbag sucks.  They should know that any claims against the carrier usually are carried out by the shipper, rather than the recipient.  Me:

I usually have stuff shipped to my PO box because it's safer there. For the first time, they left my package outside in the DC area heat in the GoPost kiosk. It's probably been there since Thursday (today is Monday, and tracking says it was delivered Thursday), but I've been busy with work and health issues, so today is the first chance I had to get up there. Should I open it, on the off chance that it's not ruined (the lady claimed it was only put in there today)? Was it insured? The Fragile sticker was still attached and quite visible. I did let them know they had probably ruined it, and called whoever did it an idiot. If you need to make a claim against USPS, and you need anything from me, please let me know. And let me know what I should do. Please and thank you.

Them:

Hi Peter Thank you for your email. Unfortunately as this is of no fault of our own there is nothing we can do. This is a dispute you will need to have with the courier.