The analog thread.

Hopstretch

4 hours ago, Voltron said:

Lower case smooth jazz. No pejorative. 

Understood -- Smooth Jazz is a whole 'nother genre.  That's not jazz.  Mikey is, of course, referring to jazz which is smooth.  What I refer to as smoov jazz, for no other reason than to differentiate from that Muzak sounding tripe.  (But I also recognize that it hasn't taken on as an expression.)

i recently did some refurbishing of my apartment, and decided to rotate the living room 180 degrees, to allow even more room for the stereo.
this allowed me to place the TH subs in the corner, freeing up enough space to fit both my TT's!

new USM Haller shelf (built from vintage parts) -  Aw yiss!
IMG_2693.thumb.jpg.7c7d0a572fc00894defa1c5c93f0fa7c.jpg

mmm... so smooth

DSCN5694.thumb.jpg.1bbcf76d766669f53cdf7341efb8c586.jpg

So now i have the AT33 mono on the NRK tts3000 (for mono records obviously) and the AT33ptg/II on the SR sp-10mkII

I have routed them through an rca switch going to the RIAA, so i can change between them easily.

DSCN5700.thumb.jpg.6aaafc09f3f3eae68776bf638b29e894.jpg

the shelves pull out, and has enough room for around 300 records.

a very convenient way to store the currently most played records close to the TT's.
DSCN5721.thumb.jpg.2d870918d2973d0e6b71f4a92557d658.jpg

Edited by bjarnetv
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous!

Your vintage turntables amazing and your setup is something to behold.

Congrats!

Me, I'm finally getting my table and speaker system put back together after my move. 

A little Allison Krauss to test the cartridge.

Also, another messy temp studio setup (l have big plans for the new one so it'll be months in the making I'm guessing).

A Krauss.jpg

speakers.jpg

TempStudio.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Slowly completely my bat shit silly phono stage. Currently working on a grounding scheme to remove 200mV (!!)of hum on the outputs. I'll post pics once sorted.

The horror, the horror. Basically this is the final Erno Borbely design. It is a current mode phono stage, where the cartridge looks into close to zero impedance. First stage with parallel J40/K170, and a power stage to drive the passive RIAA. Then a 40dB gain stage with power stage to drive the output.

It can be configured many different ways:

No feedback first stage, with input R of about 4 ohms for higher R moving coils

Feedback first stage which reduces input R to tiny value for low R moving coils.

Can be run single ended or balanced input, and single ended or balanced output.

I've set it up as a no-feedback version, fully balanced IO. There is a bal2unbal board which I currently have not wired in.

Shunt regulator for each board, layout by moi.

Dual power supply, each with dual bridge rectifier and lots of smoothing cap.

20170830_155443.jpg

20170830_155459.jpg

20170830_155518.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

... and lots of smoothing cap.

Looks cool. But I've never understood why the solid state world threw out the inductor baby with the tube bathwater. Adding even a small choke to your filter will pay huge dividends on high frequency harshness that the bridges add, that the R-cores pass, and that those big caps do a poor job filtering out.

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean about inductors. The disadvantage is you have to get the value large enough to prevent weird oscillatory behavior. You can get a similar filtering effect with RC-RC-RC filtering too.

But the diodes are ultra fast soft recovery type (MUR820 - 25ns recovery) so generate very little hash indeed. And an R-core transformer is inherently split bobbin - one side is the mains winding and the other the low voltage secondaries. So they pass hardly any hash because the interwinding capacitance is tiny.

25 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

Steve, is that the Dave Gruisin Discovered Again LP I see on your couch? If so is that the direct disc one?  I have that!  We are now soulmates!  :wub:

Yup

Bought that one new!

It's the best I've found for lease breaking volume levels and hearing those transients snap (digital has nothing on that lp).

Great music too (love those Cowboy Songs).

• Like 1