The analog thread.

Hopstretch

1 hour ago, wink said:

Like the retro, but something to be said for this (not sure exactly what....) :-

http://www.stereo.net.au/news/win-the-ultimate-turntable-setup-tool-with-audio-fidelity

if you have more than one cartridge and several TT's with different arms, a good protractor is more than worth the cash.

that thing costs way too much though!

you could get the excellent Dr.Feickert protractor for way less.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/alignment-tools/dr-feickert-ng-high-precision-alignment-tool.html

doesn't come with a mirror and magnifier though, but you could afford to buy those with the money saved ;)

• Like 1

Well, I can cheerfully report that the mad phono stage sounds absolutely stunning. I've been going through record after record and depending on what I'm listening to I've giggled, sung along and wept depending on what I've got on.

Kind of standard with the territory it takes a long time to warm up. There are three servos - one to null the voltage across the cartridge to zero. One to null the output of the input stage to zero, and one to null the output of the second stage to zero. Given that every stage runs hot, and that there are two of these per balanced channel it takes a while to sort itself out and stabilise. It will remain on permanently.

Thank heavens it does sound stunning - given the overall cost of circuit boards, parts (lot of em), and time in build and test, layout and procurement of the shunt regulator boards etc - I would have been royally pissed off if it had sounded not good!

• Like 12

On 8/30/2017 at 2:19 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

Lucky man - any version of the CAT is impressive (and pocket-crunchingly expensive). Counter-intuitive if you look at the board area that is film capacitors, but it apparently sounds and measures superbly.

Mine's a CAT Ultimate and I've had it for a decade or so. All those film caps are wound in house at CAT. So as the preamp has evolved so have the caps. Not only that, but the caps are made to be the value demanded by the design, not the ones that are as close as a supplier is willing to make them. 

It's my favorite phono stage. On the "high resolution" end of the spectrum with awesome bass.

• 1 month later...

After many, many years with BAT/Avid/SME YG Acoustics systems this is what my wife and I have spent the last year building for listening to records through. VPI HR-X w/12.7 arm, and VPI ADS power supply.  Air Tight PC-1 Supreme cartridge. AudioNet PAM G2 phonostage w/ AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. AudioNet PRE G2 preamp, AudioNet AMP Monoblocks and YG Acoustics Anat III signature speakers with a couple upgrades.

Back up cartridge is Benz LPS. Mono is Ortofon Cadenza mono on seperate  12.7 armwand.

Digital (Dac, Rdbook, SACD) all done with Marantz SA11s3.

Cables are a blend or Kubala-Sosna and Audioquest. Power cords are Signal cable reference and DH Labs Red Wave. Room treatment from GIK. Audio Desk Systeme record cleaner.  Adona rack

2017-10-17 08.06.24.jpg

2017-10-17 08.07.07.jpg

2017-10-17 08.08.08.jpg

2017-10-17 08.08.32.jpg

2017-10-17 08.09.23.jpg

Edited by tom_hankins
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bjarnetv said:

Looks great, and i bet it sounds pretty good too! ;)

A bit unpractical placement of the right side acoustic plate blocking the records, but i guess it's worth it sound-wise :D

Super light and lifts on or off in a matter of a couple seconds. Held on with one screw in the Ikea record storage.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...