The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Who needs analog when you have old ears....?   :D

I'm listening to Acker Bilk through they YGGY. KGGSHV and Stax SR-303 while surfing the net and watching Australia playing England in the first cricket test in Brisbane.   :P

The best part is that I'm enjoying it more than hearing the Senn HE-1 earlier this week. :wub:

Life throws up these delicious ironies now and again......  :)

• 1 month later...

Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  John disappears down the analog black hole........................:ph34r:

Alas, poor johnwmclean. I knew him well.................

image.png.ed351d4ab2406255c3676ab75b396d4f.png

Edited by wink
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Does anybody have thoughts on Denon tables? I have a bid on a excellent condition circa 1984, DP59M.

I'm not very sure what's the difference between the 59L and the 59M you've been offered. I had a lower model in the Denon range on those years and I couldn't be happier. Even on a less massive platter and a way simpler tonearm, the thing sounded very good. I'm not sure what's the tonearm effective mass in that model, that's the only thing that could interfere on your cartridge wishes. A thick rubber mat would help to get rid of the tiny bit of engine noise that the cart cold pick up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Does anybody have thoughts on Denon tables? I have a bid on a excellent condition circa 1984, DP59M.

That dude is also selling a

TECHNICS SL-1200 MK3D with transformer........    :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wink said:

Did you win it...?

No I backed down... I have a DIY phono stage in the works though, I have one crate of vinyl so I’m not going in with all guns blazing, I’m trying to keep it within a reasonable budget.

MM or MC for a poor mans rig?  That is the question I’ve been pondering.

Although my main rig is a Garrard 401/SME IV/Zu DL103, I have just set up a classic system, Thorens TD150, SME3009 improved, fixed headshell, and a (the horror, the horror) Shure V15-IV with a Jico replacement stylus. That ends up going through a Blue Hawaii and SR007. And you know the strange thing - 40-odd years since that deck/arm/cartridge were current products - and it sounds bloody superb. The V15-IV with Jico standard hyperelliptical stylus is a true bargain in moving magnet land, and tracks absolutely anything at a measly 1g force.

Having said that, the 401 is late 60's as is the DL103. And the SME IV was introduced thirty years ago. So that is a pretty vintage system itself!

The real cantilever tour de force was the V15-V stylus, which was a 0.5 mil thick beryllium tube 20 mil in diameter. They made that out of beryllium shim stock cut to tiny size, and rolled it around a rod in a miniscule jig. Put it in an annealing oven to stop it just springing open and take a set, and then adhesively bonded the overlap and took the rod out. It calculates out as over 4 times stiffer than a current generation boron cantilever in megabuck moving coil cartridges.

US patent 4,473,897 from 1984 describes the beryllium cantilever manufacturing process.

Then Shure lost faith in vinyl when CD came in, and lost all the beryllium tube know-how and junked the kit. So all they can do now is bog standard aluminium cantilevers.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I used to have a Shure V15 Mk-IV as well as a Stanton 681EEE that came with the brush that was supposed to help with the tracking.

I used to do intensive comparisons between them including using the Sheffield Test LP.

There wasn;t very much between them.

The only real differences were that the Shure tracked better on the Drum test on the Sheffield Test Disk, but the Stanton sounded just that little sweeter.

In those days I was also looking at Empire 999VEX and the 1000ZEX as well as the ADC 25 and 26.

I used to haunt Sydney Hi-FI listening to the cartridges on a Transcriptor turntable through Phase Linear amps and then to JBL Paragon and JBL Sovereign II C61 speakers.

If the Empires and ADC's sounded better to me than the Shure and Stanton, I would have bought them.

The cartridge I really liked was the Ortofon MC5000 moving coil, but the price was prohibitive for me at the time.

Ahhhh, the memories..................  :wub:

Edited by wink