The analog thread.

Hopstretch

ehh...maybe

the CJ Premier 15 phono  with teflon upgrades is pretty good kit, as is the SME V arm.

The Technics, is completely modded:

12lb Mke New platter aluminum, bearing, bearing plate and copper SME armboard. Paul Hynes off board PSU.

The speakers are surprisingly good Paradigm Ref 100v4. I do salivate over the Paradigm Signatures though.... ;)

There is always the cabling game to be played a bit further....

speakers is the next link, but it may be a while before I can afford a substantial step up.

• Like 1

So, I brought all my vinyl home from TN. Now I need a TT. Probably a "starter" table for now.

Anyone have experience with this Denon, or the upgrade package?

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/denon-dp-300f-fully-automatic-turntable?s=recomatic
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/denon-dp-300f-turntable-ortofon-2m-red-upgrade

I really want to just buy Jeff's Scoutmaster and be done with it, but this should tide me over until I get drunk enough for a Prime Scout, right?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeymad said:

I have not played with it - but 3 bills for a plug and play TT with ortofon - seems reasonable to play some tunes... (reviews seems pretty positive)

+1. I had a Denon DD turntable with an Ortofon cart for years. It produced a tiny bit of background noise audible when the platter was spinning and the stylus up, but once the stylus was dropped, the music it made sounded very good. If that deck is more or less like that, it will make you happy until you get Jeff's VPI.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, DigiPete said:

...speakers are surprisingly good Paradigm Ref 100v4. I do salivate over the Paradigm Signatures though.... 

I had the Paradigm Ref 100 v1 (which ages me) in my early audiophile stage, and I've always liked their house sound. 

Edited by robm321
Fucked up typing as always.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A while back my PS-X7 stopped maintaining platter speed and resulted in a really weird Beck album before I caught it. I put it to the side to troubleshoot for a bit. Now it maintains speed just fine and I live in fear of the Eldritch god of chaos that now lives in my turntable. They prefer Wilco over Beck.

Sounds good though.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/16/2018 at 9:09 PM, Emooze said:

A while back my PS-X7 stopped maintaining platter speed and resulted in a really weird Beck album before I caught it. I put it to the side to troubleshoot for a bit. Now it maintains speed just fine and I live in fear of the Eldritch god of chaos that now lives in my turntable. They prefer Wilco over Beck.

Sounds good though.

Turns out the Eldritch god that lives in my table is more finicky about input voltage. Bought an AVR and have had no issues since then. Until it becomes displeased again I am sure.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 9:52 PM, Voltron said:

I have heard of books on tape or CD but never on vinyl. That sounds quite cumbersome...?

In the 1950's 16 2/3 rpm vinyl records were pressed containing books for the visually impaired and blind. Autochangers from that era always had a speed position for 16 2/3 rpm.

It was a format that did not last for long.

• 11 months later...

Bad news for vinyl.

Pasted from Analog Planet,..

Sadly this is not April 1st, and this is not a joke. The Banning CA facility housing Apollo/Transco lacquer manufacturing burned today and is apparently a total loss. More than 80 firefighters fought the dangerous chemical-laden fire. I haven't had a chance to get into the story details but hopefully no one was seriously injured in the blaze.

This leaves but one lacquer producer in the world: Japan-based MDC. Whether or not Apollo/Transco plans on rebuilding or whether California with its stringent environmental protection laws will even allow it, remains to be seen. It's not going to be easy even if Apollo/Transco plans on rebuilding because there's no "off the shelf solution and will take quite a bit of time in any case.

That leaves DMM for those who aren't MDC customers. That company fielded calls from around the world telling anxious potential customers that it was not able to take on any new business.

• Sad 7

• 3 weeks later...

Use the same arm as my PerspeX 6. It is a very light arm but I use it a lot with heavy capsules (Denon DL) and I feel that the joint works very well.

The only thing I don't like much about 5.1 is the "hanging" motor. This system is the same as that used by the Debut (I also have a very improved Debut III like second system) and despite the fact that Project has greatly improved it with several upgrades (sorbothane washers, thicker belt ...) I think it is something "noisy".

Edited by jose

• 1 month later...

Have just gotten the Project setup, thru my new untested (and in typical Pars tradition, uncased as of yet) Salas phono stage. I have to check the arm setup, but powered it all on and couldn't detect any noise or hum (yet). I've done some reading on the Project and in addition to the sorbothane washers, apparently there is a damping trough for these arms that is ~$200 ish and seems to be very promising.

I was reading a very interesting thread on diyaudio last night regarding a guy building what looks to be an interesting tonearm, which is pivoted but provides perfectly tangential tracking: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/327684-revolutionary-pivoting-tangential-tone-arm.html

• Like 5