The analog thread.

Hopstretch

12 hours ago, Pars said:

Have just gotten the Project setup, thru my new untested (and in typical Pars tradition, uncased as of yet) Salas phono stage. I have to check the arm setup, but powered it all on and couldn't detect any noise or hum (yet). I've done some reading on the Project and in addition to the sorbothane washers, apparently there is a damping trough for these arms that is ~$200 ish and seems to be very promising.

I was reading a very interesting thread on diyaudio last night regarding a guy building what looks to be an interesting tonearm, which is pivoted but provides perfectly tangential tracking: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/327684-revolutionary-pivoting-tangential-tone-arm.html

That head shell is pretty trippy man

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

IT'S BACK!

I remember it being big, but I forgot how massive it is. In no way is it going to fit on the TT stand I just built. I've also forgotten the layout of the controls on the speed controller, and which is input and output on the DIY Pass Pearl phono stage. Lots of fiddling to do before I'm near ready to fire up the beast, but it feels good to have her home again. It was 12 years ago that I built her. I need to see if I can get the Zu Audio DL 103 aluminum bodied cartridge repaired. I had broken the cantilever some years back. I also need to source a rubber belt for the motor/platter. Damn this thing is big!

Colossus 1.jpg

Colossus 2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1.thumb.jpg.0b959df9a414312ea5f9e2bb879fcb18.jpg2.thumb.jpg.cb765bfa01227c616b36248248b3bb8e.jpg

Making some progress. A belt should arrive today. Hoping it will fit, but not completely sure until it shows up. 

The speed controller was DC. It ran off of a motorcycle battery. Noise free, but not the most convenient, so a simple DC to AC wall wart later and problem solved. My TICE Audio Solo power conditioner should keep things clean enough (no relation). The input and output of the Pass Pearl have been figured out. This is a top notch phono stage. And the ZuAudio rebodied Denon DL-103 is out for repair. The cantilever was broken off just past the pivot. I honestly don't remember how that happened. But it's getting an upgraded, tapered cantilever and a new square shank, high polish, diamond true ellipsoid needle to replace the missing, stock round needle. Should be a nice sonic improvement.

Now I just need to concentrate on a new, larger stand. it needs to be 20" x 36" to house the turntable and the motor pod. I'd like the top to be thick butcherblock and the base of the stand to be a separate unit. I'll then use the Big Feet isolator feet in between. I'd like a low shelf for record storage and an 8' shelf on top of that to house the phono stage, speed controller and record cleaning gear.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 9

1.thumb.jpg.0b959df9a414312ea5f9e2bb879fcb18.jpg2.thumb.jpg.cb765bfa01227c616b36248248b3bb8e.jpg
Making some progress. A belt should arrive today. Hoping it will fit, but not completely sure until it shows up. 
The speed controller was DC. It ran off of a motorcycle battery. Noise free, but not the most convenient, so a simple DC to AC wall wart later and problem solved. My TICE Audio Solo power conditioner should keep things clean enough (no relation). The input and output of the Pass Pearl have been figured out. This is a top notch phono stage. And the ZuAudio rebodied Denon DL-103 is out for repair. The cantilever was broken off just past the pivot. I honestly don't remember how that happened. But it's getting an upgraded, tapered cantilever and a new square shank, high polish, diamond true ellipsoid needle to replace the missing, stock round needle. Should be a nice sonic improvement.
Now I just need to concentrate on a new, larger stand. it needs to be 20" x 36" to house the turntable and the motor pod. I'd like the top to be thick butcherblock and the base of the stand to be a separate unit. I'll then use the Big Feet isolator feet in between. I'd like a low shelf for record storage and an 8' shelf on top of that to house the phono stage, speed controller and record cleaning gear.

Very cool! That is like a blast from the past!
  • Like 1

I saw that they have a new model. I also like their Rega counterweight, but already have the Pete Riggle counterweight and VTA set.

I have ordered some of the wood for the stand and purchased the rest locally. It might be a few weeks for the Baltic Birch ply to arrive. But it was 1/4 the price online than what I'd pay local.

San Rafael Lumber wants $50.90 for a 2' x 4' sheet of 3/4" birch ply. That's an obscene price. I'd need two and would waist 1/3 of each sheet.

Rocker has 3/4" Baltic birch ply. 24" x 30" sheets for $12.49 ea.

I'll need two with very little waist @ 20" x 30".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a 50" circumference rubber belt for the Colossus turntable. It could be a little longer, but not any shorter. I've looked everywhere, and have contacted every company I can think of. Just wondering if anyone here might have an idea that I haven't thought of?

There was a turntable co back in the 90s that used dental floss for belts because it didn't stretch.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/162085-diy-turntable-belts-2.html

Alternatively, use a double pulley and connect it midway between the motor and platter to utilize available belts.

Edited by dsavitsk

I'd try asking over on Audio Asylum in the Vinyl page.

Another alternative that was touted with some of the Teres Audio guys was 1/4 inch magnetic tape ( If your motor pulley is flat that is ).

If you want to try, the easy way would be to find an old VHS and scotch tape. If not, just give me your addy and I'll send you some for Xmas (if you're a bad boy that is!).

Thanks guys.

I did just manage to find surgical silk for animals. It's thicker than the standard surgical silk I tried before. It won't arrive until mid December, but worth a try. 

I also bought a splicing kit for VHS tape. That might give better results that I had before. 

Absolutely brilliant Marc! Exactly what I needed. I was able to order a belt not only long enough, but also wide enough to use with my existing pulley for VHS tape.

Now I can compare magnetic tape, surgical silk thread and nylon reinforced rubber.

Ordered!

Thanks all for suggestions.  DONE.

• Like 3

Not entirely from scratch. I had a thread dedicated to the build, but it got nuked by  Reks.

I purchased a VPI Aries special edition Black acrylic platter, about 2" thick, along with the accompanying inverted platter bearing. Then purchased a Rega RB300 tonearm with upgraded Cardas wiring. Then outfitted that tonearm with Pete Riggle's counter weight and VTA mechanism. 

The plinth I built was rather complex, with 6 alternating layers of 3/4" birch plywood and 3/4" MDF. I drilled a series of 10 holes about 1 1/2" in diameter and 3" deep, on the bottom of the plinth. Those I filled with the modern version of lead shot, for even more anti resonate properties, and made removable caps, so that I could adjust fill levels accordingly.  I wrapped the plinth core with 3/4" Walnut, Walnut corner posts and Big leaf Maple burl veneer on top. I made the tonearm board out of Walnut, and made it adjustable by about 1/2". Marc built me a Pass Pearl phono stage and also a DIY motor controller,  for the separate motor pod and Maxon motor.

The turntable weighs in at around 75 lbs. And it's enormous! Hence the name Colossus. 

• Like 3