The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Lots of good suggestions. I probably won't buy anything until after Christmas, unless some great deal comes along. Right now I am leaning towards either the Rega or Project TTs. I do like the simplicity of the Technics (and my Dual was direct-drive) but I do not mind a little futzing as that is part of the charm. 

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

Can anyone comment on the marantz/clear audio 15S1 and how it compares to some of the other options mentioned?

Not sure about that specific model, but in general the Clear Audio tables punch below their price point IMO.

That being said, the sale price on the Marantz at B&H photo is damn good.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1526439-REG/marantz_tt15s1_belt_drive_turntable.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOcAwXpT6XbRpTcpYyFuqK3WXihLjj4oo6u5o8-5vb0ffZnyZsq4U3MaAm9SEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recstar24 said:

How user friendly are you wanting this thing to be? I'm a technics fanboy myself simply because they are stupidly easy to use and setup, require no maintenance, will most likely last longer then you will be alive (sorry), and the direct drive ensures that pitch won't get all wobbly or fluttery on you. 

Technics has the new models of various price points which are all quality, or you can go old school Mk2 on the used market to practice your wicka-wicka for your upcoming rave or techno dance party. 

That’s a good point. Tables that have an easy cartridge alignment system (Rega 3 Point “system”) or fixed cartridge would meet this criteria.

17 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Not sure about that specific model, but in general the Clear Audio tables punch below their price point IMO.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1526439-REG/marantz_tt15s1_belt_drive_turntable.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOcAwXpT6XbRpTcpYyFuqK3WXihLjj4oo6u5o8-5vb0ffZnyZsq4U3MaAm9SEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

$1500 is the sale price?

18 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I absolutely agree, Clearaudio spinners and carts are way overpriced, that's why I like the Tecnodec and the Projects, great performance at a sensible price even considering that they've almost doubled in ten years.

• Like 1

My bad. I guess that's the normal going rate. I was comparing it to the Clear Audio Sister unit, which is a fair amount more.

I would be inclined to research the Schiit table. They have a good reputation, and it seems to be a lot of table for the $.

19 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I'm not sure about the current crop but the big Clear Audio tables that look "oh so sexy" aways had the rep of having sub par bass.

Supposedly those huge statement, floor standing Clear Audios corrected that,.. but the price!

• Like 1

Craig is correct it comes with the Elys-2 cartridge, which I am fine with as a start, and maybe it will be a great cartridge. In my limited research it appears the Rega three-point system is meant to make cartridge alignment easier/more exact and make it more rigid. Not everyone agrees with the first idea so there are suggestions out there to perform a standard two screw alignment and then just add the third screw for rigidity. I have no opinion on that at this time but I am sure I will develop one.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, morphsci said:

Craig is correct it comes with the Elys-2 cartridge, which I am fine with as a start, and maybe it will be a great cartridge. In my limited research it appears the Rega three-point system is meant to make cartridge alignment easier/more exact and make it more rigid. Not everyone agrees with the first idea so there are suggestions out there to perform a standard two screw alignment and then just add the third screw for rigidity. I have no opinion on that at this time but I am sure I will develop one.

I think having a overhang screw would only simplify cartridge alignment. I've just not encountered that before. Obviously that will only work with a Rega arm and Rega cartridge, but a solid idea IMO.

What I do have a vast experience with is the rigidity idea. The more rigid the better performance!

• Haha 1

It's finished! Colossus is back in action, and better than ever. I certainly spent more time tweaking this time around. I think it paid off.

I have the Hudson HI-FI Bigfeet between the stand base and top, then new isolation feet on the Colossus and I added more shot inside the plinth. 

It's sounding really full with great bass. Lots more listening to do!

20201206_132021.jpg

20201206_125232.jpg

20201206_123228.jpg

20201206_121138.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 13

It's really nice having the Colossus back home. It's like one of my children. I loved the time I spent designing and building her, and my collaboration with Marc. I definitely couldn't have completed the project without him. And again, a big shout out to Naaman for reuniting me with Colossus!

Edited by swt61
  • Like 8

There's nothing more fun than a new piece of gear. Or an old one that came home to roost. I've completely lost track of the day, and have enjoyed every minute of it. All the new albums sound great after cleaning, not to mention the 6 albums my landlord didn't want and gifted me. One being America's greatest hits. Who doesn't like America?