The analog thread.

Hopstretch

It’s fun getting to know a new setup. I don’t have the VPI really dialed in yet, but already don’t like the threaded clamp. I am trying just a heavier weight that places over the threaded spindle. I also don’t know why VPI didn’t better match up these foam discs when adapting their newest footers to older designs. I think I will have a go at designing a replacement.

47D4822E-E624-4C81-BACF-899A0EB29FFA.jpeg

26516D35-A1A9-4E9D-9497-0AA2702BDF2F.jpeg

• Like 5

I actually love the threaded spindle. My clamp is an aftermarket, carbon fiber trimmed deal, that I found somewhere back in the day. It's threaded and has such a nice flat seal.

I can torque a record as needed.

Edited by swt61

2 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I actually love the threaded spindle. My clamp is an aftermarket, carbon fiber trimmed deal, that I found somewhere back in the day. It's threaded and has such a nice flat seal.

I can torque a record as needed.

Do you typically stop the platter before you change records?

14 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

It’s fun getting to know a new setup. I don’t have the VPI really dialed in yet, but already don’t like the threaded clamp. I am trying just a heavier weight that places over the threaded spindle. I also don’t know why VPI didn’t better match up these foam discs when adapting their newest footers to older designs. I think I will have a go at designing a replacement.

I am curious - what don't you like about the threaded clamp? 

I like mine on the TNT, it does a good job coupling the record to the platter and works well if the record is very mildly warped. 

For more severely warped record, I use a peripheral ring and a heavy brass center weight (have to take the washer off the spindle that works with the threaded clamp).  

I do stop the platter when I change record. 

I've never been a fan of the threaded clamp on my Aires.

I have the stock one and the heavier TNT version.

I also tried a couple of non-VPI weights with the same results in various degrees (non-threaded).

It's probably just personal preference but the sound is more open  without a clamp.

I've never put a meter on it but I don't doubt that I'm trading some low freq definition for the highs.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by ironbut

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, Pars said:

<snip> I bought a HO MC cart that I liked a lot, think it was an Apogee? Searching I find no such cart or info about it. At any rate, it was a good sounding cart, even thru the crap phono stages back then.

Found it (not the cartridge, but what it was). It was an Apature. I'm guessing it was a KOCE. Reading up on them, supposedly Ortofon made them or had something to do with them. I remember liking it though. Sorry to quote my own post, but somehow just ran across the brand of the cartridge today.

Edited by Pars
  • Like 1

I just found this on another forum, where there was discussion about audio systems possessed by demons (you know the effect - paranoia about something not quite right)

Anyway, snip of another poster's reply

"my turntable is haunted by a plattergeist. If I can't get it dispossessed soon, I'll have to bury it in its vinyl resting place"

I'll get my coat....

I got the code working to measure the platter speed! The sensor is still wonky - maybe I need to build a shroud around it.. 

A95042AC-0707-4753-8C8F-D9185B3C9925.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

I just found this on another forum, where there was discussion about audio systems possessed by demons (you know the effect - paranoia about something not quite right)

Anyway, snip of another poster's reply

"my turntable is haunted by a plattergeist. If I can't get it dispossessed soon, I'll have to bury it in its vinyl resting place"

I'll get my coat....

Maybe I just built a ghost sensor! That would explain a lot... maybe this is the newest fad in audio accessories 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Woo, looks like the CPU board is working! Currently set at 20.29 Hz for 33.33rpm output. Got the front panel also working and now just need to solve the issue of the reflective IR Sensor (or go back to a magnet) - which I think might take a shroud to try and reduce stray light. The second display will then read out the actual platter speed as measured by the tach. Then I can adjust the speed in a feedback loop (PID).

Still smells like a busted cap though ;)

F97DD07E-54C0-4918-B61C-4FFD3E80B41B.jpeg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, swt61 said:

So openings for the displays will be cut into the top panel? Or will it be some type of mesh/expanded metal?

Actually, no but good question! I have three of these identical looking PSUs now - keeping the simple aesthetic. The PCB could be mounted that way though, but in my “case” it won’t. 

I plan on logging hours the TT is on (to estimate stylus wear) and how accurate the speed control is. I will retrieve that data off the USB port if needed.

Here it is in action. The top display is the actual platter speed. Next to write the auto adjusting code.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UXOn6R9

• Like 4

Really enjoyed the whole build. I use a lot of those same cabinet makers tricks.

With waterfall Bubinga, anything less than such a high gloss would not do justice to that amazing grain. 

My only criticism has nothing to do with the turntable, but I'd prefer a bit more spread on those speakers. 

• Like 1

I was surprised that he was shooting finish in such a small room. Looked like he had some kind of large-ish exhaust system set up though.

Totally interesting!

I remember a buddy telling me that he was spraying lacquer on hardwood trim in a bathroom and he tripped over the work light's power cord which was stupidly plugged into an extension in the room.

The spark from the cord blew the room up and knocked him out.

As he was being dragged out of the room, he could see the crown, door jams and base in flames. 

We used to set up some pretty big spray booths since we had to set up racks for lots of cab doors. We had a warehouse sized exhaust fan we'd point at folks we hated.

Good times!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile ...

Originally broadcast 29 March 1971

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/vinyl-restoration/zvm2cqt

Also

Monitor takes a wonderfully entertaining look at a very modern phenomenon; the audiophile.

↗ Originally broadcast 12 April 1959

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/hififofum/zjt6kmn 

Plus ça change?

Edited by Grahame

• 1 month later...

Here are the feet - there isn’t enough travel in them I think. I probably need another solution than the motor mount (male stud, rubber, male stud - which goes into the aluminum line footer and the shiny round circle thing on the top) idea which is stock for these VPI tables. There is a slight gap on purpose to suspect the table so it’s just decoupled via the rubber… the wood is just attached via glue dots to the underside of the plinth to hide the motor mounts.

E1EA41A9-DD4B-4935-9905-B7757FFF2EB9.jpeg

407FEEA8-FE0C-4040-A402-8ACE2E16A180.jpeg

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 7