The analog thread.

Hopstretch

• 2 weeks later...

Current RIAA figures are out (link below). This is of course USA figures, but the headline is that vinyl record sales doubled in the first half of the year, with revenues now over 11% of paid for streaming.

https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Mid-Year-2021-RIAA-Music-Revenue-Report.pdf

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is kind of interesting. The supply bottleneck on vinyl is so big right now that artist are having to change their creative plans to make sure vinyl is available on the release date or during their tour.

"Yet there are worrying signs that the vinyl bonanza has exceeded the industrial capacity needed to sustain it. Production logjams and a reliance on balky, decades-old pressing machines have led to what executives say are unprecedented delays. A couple of years ago, a new record could be turned around in a few months; now it can take up to a year, wreaking havoc on artists’ release plans...

Not even the biggest stars are immune. In an interview this month with BBC Radio, Adele, whose album “30” is due Nov. 19 — and is sure to be a blockbuster on LP — said her release date had been set six months ago to get vinyl and CDs made in time.

'There was like a 25-week lead time!' she exclaimed. 'So many CD factories and vinyl factories, they bloody closed down even before Covid because no one bloody prints them anymore.'"

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/arts/music/vinyl-records-delays.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to servicing my Sony PS-X7. The speed control was acting up by holding a speed but then jerking the table every couple of second.

Found the service manual online, did a couple of the steps to adjust the speed controller and cleared the problem completely. Also learned a skill I never thought I would have to learn, how to wrap wires.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2010 at 9:39 PM, luvdunhill said:

The Rega's don't have a suspended TT sound that I can hear. It's not a suspended deck, so perhaps there is a confusion in terms. Do you mean like a Systemdek (I used to own one) or (shudder) Linn?

The Rega charm is that the whole package is more or less tuned to a certain sound. It's definitely like a cocktail, greater than the sum of its parts. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that the Rega really changes once it's mounted to a wall for example. Again, I think it's a carefully tuned product.

Now, where we can agree probably is the Rega lack a real weighty, meaty sound. I'd totally agree with that. We could talk about this if you'd like, but it's no massive or idler design.

If you're listening to classical instrumental, the Rega is going to shine in my opinion. I'm not sure what price difference we're talking here against a project, but I've seen Planar 3 with RB300 combos for $350-$500 or so shipped?

I've been doing some reading, and the Systemdek IIX seems kinda interesting, if I could find one with a better arm than the stock ones. I bought (traded for) a Project RPM5-1, and I don't know if it is the cartridge (Ortofon 2M Bronze) or what, but it seems a bit bright and lightweight in sound. Otherwise, I was thinking about something like a VPI Classic?

I need to get my Thorens TD-320 out of storage, and see what that is like these days with the Salas phono stage I built. It has a newish AT 440ml(a?) on it, but I've never heard it with a decent phono stage. I also had bought a Grace F9e which I had wanted to try out on it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bought a restored Thorens TD320 Mk ii from a shop in Denmark. I liked my original Mk i, but wanted the better arm. I'm installing a Grace F9e with SS stylus on it. Might not be the best match, but will see.

Photo Apr 01, 6 18 38 PM.jpg

IMG_20220323_065240.jpg

Edited by Pars
Added pic from Denmark
  • Like 10

On 11/22/2017 at 5:58 PM, mikeymad said:

Hmmmm .... Sting in qsound..

ce12f0603566cfd29e6a7f44555f734a.jpg

Qsound doesn't get many mentions, so we gotta celebrate when we can. Was at Santa Cruz Boardwalk today, which always seems decades out of date, and while glancing at a video game got a warm surprise in its cycling screens. 

29898063_L10403521.thumb.jpg.20b2ade469636a7fccd16348aab7b26a.jpg

• Like 4

I think that they could have fit one more Qsound into that sentence. 

Yeah I liked Qsound - It reminded me of the Stereo Dimension Array that Polk developed back in the day. Getting the sound out beyond the speakers. With a lot of minor adjustments to my B&W 802s I could get Roger Waters Amused to Death to almost surround sound levels. 

• Like 2

I mentioned this in the Ambient/IDM thread, but it's relevant here as well.  Woob's 1994 album 1194, AKA the second greatest ambient album of the 1990s (mere mortals cannot topple Substrata) got a crowd funded vinyl release some 28 years after it came out on CD.  I am really curious how they'll manage to cut the 32 minute opening track on to a side of wax.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...