The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Nope, bought it from a dealer in FL, of all places - high humidity, now in New Mexico, LOW humidity, so I have a DamppChaser to keep it humidified.  I have tried a Fazioli - best piano I ever played, but WAAAYY expensive.  Put it this way - when I was shopping, there were a few pianos that didn't sound as good as I thought I was, there were several pianos that sounded about as good as I thought I was - the Falcone was the least expensive, probably because they aren't made any more and most people don't know about them. The Fazioli was the only piano that made me sound better than I knew I was!  Super-even action, totally responsive from a pianissimo to a triple forte.  But even there, there were differences from one Fazioli to another.  I'm sure you know, every instrument is different from every other.

• Like 2

I actually stopped playing between about age 18 and 60, so when I restarted it was a little like learning to walk again.  Which is why I got such a big kick out of Jason Stratham's line in the movie "Spy," where he plays a hyper masculine James Bond type:  "I make a habit of doing what other people say I can't do:  Walk through fire, waterski blindfolded, take up piano at a late age."

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

Wow, that's a slight gap there :P And that quote epitomizes my life! Are you planning on crossing the other two items off the bucket list?

Uh, no.  Building/modifying electrostatic amps and skiing is the closest I want to get to danger. :lol:

Edited by JimL
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JimL said:

How is that even possible?!?  :lol:

Have you read Weaveworld, by Clive Barker?  That's sort of the imagery that I had in mind, that one scene where two guys walk through each other...

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

It is a really big thing, extreme ironing. Google it and look at the images. People try to do it in ever more beautifully crazy places.

Image result for extreme ironing

Image result for extreme ironing

Image result for animated gif laughing

1 hour ago, luvdunhill said:

Anyone in the US happen to have a strobe I could borrow for a while? I cobbled together a DIY one but would like something to compare to. I should have both 33 and 45 patterns at 60Hz on the Cardas test LP, so just need the blinking blinker.

A fluorescent light kinda works.

yep, it kind of uses the same principles as the LX521, only 3-way, and i used a waveguide to match the forward dispersion of the ribbon to the midrange.

the reason i chose the JA8008 was that it had nice and even dispersion all the way to 2500hz in a minimal baffle, so it could reach high enough to be crossed over steeply with the RAAL.

i probably did sacrifice some controlled directivity past 70 degrees due to the side supports, but i built a prototype with and without, and they measured pretty similarly, and i couldn't really hear a difference, so i kept them.

visually it was a big improvement ;)

DSC_0360.thumb.jpg.ba32dc23ba59100ea63153a36efaa401.jpg

i did try out a dampened u-baffle as well, but never could get it to measure like a cardioid, so went with an H-frame instead.

DSC_0348.thumb.jpg.bfea7f0b9d31ce5196142be249cc7ab1.jpg

Edited by bjarnetv
  • Like 6