Hopstretch

The analog thread.

1,654 posts in this topic

I bet that sounds great! I need to give open baffle speakers a go at some point. 

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, cetoole said:

I bet that sounds great! I need to give open baffle speakers a go at some point. 

Yeah, OB sounds really great if you ask me - effortless, musical and big.

You might get more dynamics and realism from large multiway horn systems, but i have yet to listen to a regular box based speaker i could live with.

i haven't heard the LX521 myself, but that seems to be the best commercially available OB speaker i have seen.

other stuff like the pure audio project speakers might look good, but having built many similar speakers before i refuse to believe they sound any good.

all wide baffle OB speakers ignore off axis measurements for a good looking straight on measurement, and will always have problems with sounding good in a normal room.

pureaudioproject_openbaffle.jpg

3 people like this

Open baffles do things box speakers don't. Of course they need extensive EQ, but one of the things you notice if you are used to box speakers is they can sound bass-shy. If you are used to open baffles, or electrostatics, of planar magnetics (Like Magnaplanar) there are no surpises. The bass is there in the right proportion to the rest of the music with no overhang, and sounds tight and fast. And open baffles interact with the room in a completely different way, exciting far fewer resonances.

10 minutes ago, bjarnetv said:

I haven't heard the LX521 myself, but that seems to be the best commercially available OB speaker i have seen.

Well you can buy a kit, or even buy one already built. Or you can do what I did - buy two sheets of Baltic Birch and build them from scratch. Then hot hide glue veneer them, and French polish them. Parts which are not veneered I made from a Rosewood called Cocobolo, and the feet were made from Goncalo Alves.

P1010919.JPG

Edited by Craig Sawyers
4 people like this